User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by darlets View Post
    This is one of my pet hates. By giving money to them people are supporting them and in a way saying that's their behaviour is o.k. People can say they do alot of good but there exists other charities that do the good with a whole lot less bad.
    Catholic Church: Look, we're helping people! See all the good we do?
    Regular people: Oh, I'm glad I could pay for that for you.

Thanks, but no thanks. I can donate money without having an agenda of pro-abstinence and only offering care to people unless they convert.

Even an atheist can grow tired of bashing the Catholic Sect.

People really should read what they did to support the Nazi's during and post WWII.

Anyway, hopefully as their morals continue to become increasingly estranged away from the mainstream, people will be force to question the Sect's role in society.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP

Umm...the Catholic Church is not a sect. It's really to big to be one.

Oh and tithing? That's even really not required. I went to a Protestant church service, thinking it was a baptism in a Catholic Church, then after arriving thinking it was a baptism in a Protestant Church, but then again what was I thinking? It turned out to be a "dedication" and the sermon ended up being on we should donate 10% of our salary minimum to the ministry.

I tend not to believe anything more of the "The Roman Catholic Church is evil because they supported the Nazi" or "The Catholic Church is evil because of the Inquisitions and Crusades" since people tend to exaggerate and be biased.

Yes, the Pope is always infallible in matters of faith and morals. People tend to oversimplify papal infallibility. It's not even that the Pope will say the right thing, it's just that the Holy Spirit will prevent him from saying wrong teaching and only in matters of faith and morals. Papal infallibility does not touch on personal opinions and sins. Actually, there was one pope who wanted to publish something doctrinally wrong. He died before he was able to do so.

"Mainstream" isn't always correct, and the Catholic Church, if one may remember, has indeed greatly help the advance of civilization.

If someone answers to this, I'll write more, but if not, well then...
    Anyway I must be getting to sleep.

MBTI
    INTP
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    INFP

Well, somebody decided to get created, that's really...odd. I have to admit Pope Benedict doesn't have the gentlest face but whoever got the idea of connecting those two?

MBTI
    INTP

It may have had something to do with the last photo on this page:
    Pope Benedict or Emperor Palpatine? - Unsought Input
    I just find the resemblance amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaerne
    Yes, the Pope is always infallible in matters of faith and morals. People tend to oversimplify papal infallibility. It's not even that the Pope will say the right thing, it's just that the Holy Spirit will prevent him from saying wrong teaching and only in matters of faith and morals. Papal infallibility does not touch on personal opinions and sins. Actually, there was one pope who wanted to publish something doctrinally wrong. He died before he was able to do so.

Nothing to do with Pope Benedict, but I will refer you to the Cadaver Synod.
    Historically fascinating, in a morbid way.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    INFP

Oh my...I meant "creative"...Well, yes...ehem, there is resemblance, but that blog, I must say also, is biased and looks at the papacy narrow-mindedly.

Cadaver Synod? Yes, certainly disturbing... Is that against my whole statement? Or is it just a random comment? I'm not sure of your intention but if it is against papal infallibility then, sorry I don't see how it can be. If it is just a comment, yeah some popes were very horrible.

MBTI
    ENTP

The statement brought swift criticism from Protestant leaders.
    It always boggles my mind when non-Catholics pay any heed to what the Pope says.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ERTP

anyone ever appreciated the irony that when poeple are about to die in the operating room their relatives are soothed by the doctor's technical desriptions of the patient's condition which supposedly signifies the professionalism and competence of the doctor and the technical talk being - incidentally - in latin?
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    How can the Pope be doctrinally incorrect? I thought by definition of Catholic doctrine that the Pope is always doctrinally correct.
    Actually, the pope is only recognized as infallible when he is speaking ex cathedra. He probably has a funny hat specifically for the occasion. Don't ask me where the hell they get the doctrine of infallibility from in the bible.

As for apostolic succession, it was probably a good idea around 200-300 AD, but, as an idea, it really relies on the teacher testing and "signing off" on all the doctrinal views of the student, and I'm bloody certain that didn't always happen in church history. After so many ridiculous centuries of openly corrupt clergy, the idea of apostolic succession seems to have become based on a purely spiritual transference of authority, and as such isn't worth much imo.