• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Art of War?

T

ThatGirl

It's great that you believe that - do you think your invading neighbors will share your philosophy? :)

The application of sentiment on the impact of war does nothing to describe the essential motivations for it.

I do not believe my neighbors share it, only that they should. And, still it surprises me everytime. We are beasts in that we are able to justify that which we cannot comprehend.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What is the undelyning philisophical motivation for war?

greed, envy, hate, lust, power? etc etc

It's a combination of fear and lust for power. It's mostly lust for power among people calling the shots and fear among the people who actually have to do the fighting.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
do you think your invading neighbors will share your philosophy? :)
Exactly. War has always been around and has always been an effective method to preserve interests. Is it the best method? Most certainly not. Does it give way to a mass of other problems? Certainly. Since the birth of civilization, people have lived by the sword. I guess its an act of desparation, either an inability to plan a better method or a fear that there isn't one and either party is going to be crushed if they don't act. Act or react if you will because people will always feel entitlement towards something.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
What is the undelyning philisophical motivation for war?

In not so flippant terms ... testosterone.

When I was a soldier in my teens and 20's, I couldn't wait to practice my craft and test my mettle. I wanted to see if I could hang in combat. I had that opportunity in my late 20's and witnessed the horrors of armed conflict. It gave me cause to re-evaluate my dogmatic belief system. As I have aged and lost testosterone, I have found very few issues worthy of armed conflict. In a nutshell, I grow farther left every day. I honestly think war is often caused by some hyped up penis contest to determine who is the alpha male. Would be interesting to see what would happen if women ran the world.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
In not so flippant terms ... testosterone.

When I was a soldier in my teens and 20's, I couldn't wait to practice my craft and test my mettle. I wanted to see if I could hang in combat. I had that opportunity in my late 20's and witnessed the horrors of armed conflict. It gave me cause to re-evaluate my dogmatic belief system. As I have aged and lost testosterone, I have found very few issues worthy of armed conflict. In a nutshell, I grow farther left every day. I honestly think war is often caused by some hyped up penis contest to determine who is the alpha male. Would be interesting to see what would happen if women ran the world.

Same shit. Women can be just as competitive (ruthless) as men. It's just that more often than not men happen to be the world leaders, so we don't see a woman sending an invasion force on an annual basis.

Just flip through some history books. I'm sure you will find some examples of female monarchs causing havoc.

(edit: You don't even have to go that far back -- e.g. Margaret Thatcher and Condi Rice)

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Same shit. Women can be just as competitive (ruthless) as men. It's just that more often than not men happen to be the world leaders, so we don't see a woman sending an invasion force on an annual basis.

Just flip through some history books. I'm sure you will find some examples of female monarchs causing havoc.

(edit: You don't even have to go that far back -- e.g. Margaret Thatcher and Condi Rice)

yes ... I can see it ... so much for my testosterone theory ... however I did see a LOT of macho male posturing in the war zone. The female soldiers were a bit more rational ... albeit I did see one female cobra helicopter platoon leader who was surgically deadly and ruthless in her application of violence to achieve objectives. Could have been a T though.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes ... I can see it ... so much for my testosterone theory ... however I did see a LOT of macho male posturing in the war zone. The female soldiers were a bit more rational ... albeit I did see one female cobra helicopter platoon leader who was surgically deadly and ruthless in her application of violence to achieve objectives. Could have been a T though.

Well, more often than not, a woman cannot match male machismo, so in the company of gung ho young warriors she is most likely to keep a lower profile, even if she is normally assertive.

Under the proper circumstances, women make effective fighters - Soviets used female snipers with great success during WW2. Israel uses females in IDF, although they keep them away from infantry because male soldiers tend to make irrational decisions in protecting female soldiers on the battlefield (due to instincts), therefore making female/male infantry mix ineffective.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
A recent study was conducted in Texas university I believe, showing that estrogen has the same effect on competitiveness in women that testrogen has in men...

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you witnessed a girl fight? Shit's brutal.

Women gangs prefer the use of a knife or a blade over a firearm.

If you ask me, stabbing somebody takes more "heart" than shooting them.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
^^ But less head! Knife crimes are more likely to be crimes of passion, that's just my thoughts. I think when women attack it's likely to be an outburst men seem more cold (Just my thoughts)