• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Art of War?

T

ThatGirl

What is the undelyning philisophical motivation for war?

greed, envy, hate, lust, power? etc etc

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Maybe that we're incapable of peace? .. To have absolute peace and harmony would be something close to Eden.. which I think we are forced to forever steer away from.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Offense: You have what I want.
Defense: We will not give you what we have.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Know thyself.

Why do you think people fall into conflict, ThatGirl?

What happens if I have more than you? You need what I will not volunteer. What next?

...why?

T

ThatGirl

I honestly dont know why people fall into conflict, it all seems so petty. There is an undelyning truth to everything. I may sound idealistic here, but if people learned to look beyond themselves they may actually see the same thing. They may understand and with understanding there is peace.

I dont understand the need, I only understand the concept and concepts are always relative. I don't believe in give and take, I believe in the truth.

Does that make any sense?

So what makes people cross that rationality?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I honestly dont know why people fall into conflict, it all seems so petty. There is an undelyning truth to everything. I may sound idealistic here, but if people learned to look beyond themselves they may actually see the same thing. They may understand and with understanding there is peace.

I dont understand the need, I only understand the concept and concepts are always relative. I don't believe in give and take, I believe in the truth.

Does that make any sense?

So what makes people cross that rationality?

:)

War is an expression of territory. How we protect resources important to us. Not just physical, but ideological resources.

Rationality loses real estate when our perceived way of life is threatened.

How one reacts is subjective to the threat itself.

T

ThatGirl

You never wanted something that belonged to someone else?

If it is not mine, it is not mine. I can bitch and gripe and do whatever the hell I want within my own but it will not change the fact that if it is not mine it is not mine.

Are you telling me that you believe there are things that can only be attained by one specific avenue?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP

War is an expression of territory. How we protect resources important to us. Not just physical, but ideological resources.

This should be stickied as a description of Thinking and Feeling in the MBTI sense.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
If it is not mine, it is not mine. I can bitch and gripe and do whatever the hell I want within my own but it will not change the fact that if it is not mine it is not mine.

Some people go for it, instead of merely bitching about it.

Seriously, you are having trouble understanding this?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Naive. If my tribe is starving and my children cry out for hunger and you have food, first I will ask you to share, then I will take it, even if it means killing you to save my family. It's what we do when our backs are against the wall. Shut down the availability of food and see how quickly civilization crumbles, even in this country.

All war is some permutation on this theme.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Naive. If my tribe is starving and my children cry out for hunger and you have food, first I will ask you to share, then I will take it, even if it means killing you to save my family. It's what we do when our backs are against the wall. Shut down the availability of food and see how quickly civilization crumbles, even in this country.

All war is some permutation on this theme.

Civilization is three missed meals away from anarchy.

T

ThatGirl

But I believe in a seperation of instinct and strategy. Seriously if you could have waisted brain cells on strategy why not waste them on alternate solution?

It is the cowards and the idiots way out.

Whats funny is that I am considerd on of the most cold hearted bitches, I will not give, and yet I still have a deep respect for others and a sound integrity.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
But I believe in a seperation of instinct and strategy. Seriously if you could have waisted brain cells on strategy why not waste them on alternate solution?

Because strategies are easier to get started on than an alternate solution. People are lazy beasts. :D

Also as Night mentioned, our needs for self preservation and survival is instinctive. It's difficult to fight against instincts.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

It is the cowards and the idiots way out.

Whats funny is that I am considerd on of the most cold hearted bitches, I will not give, and yet I still have a deep respect for others and a sound integrity.

It's great that you believe that - do you think your invading neighbors will share your philosophy? :)

The application of sentiment on the impact of war does nothing to describe the essential motivations for it.