User Tag List

123 Last

Sniffles

Default Loving ones enemies?

I brought this up in another thread.

The political theorist Carl Schmitt argued that if one consults the Greek of the Gospels, one finds that Christ's command to love ones enemies reads "diligite inimicos vestros and not "diligite hostes vestros".

In Greek inimicos signifies a private enemy, wheras hostes means a public enemy. So when Christ tells us to love our enemies, he's telling us to love our personal enemies.

This is why, as Schmitt argues, there was no contradiction in Christians waging war against the Muslims with the Gospels because the Muslims represented a public enemy to Christendom.

As Schmitt noted: "The enemy in the political sense need not be hated personally, and in the private sphere only does it make sense to love one's enemy, i.e., one's adversary."

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sniffles; 11-04-2008 at 04:45 PM.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I generally respect my adversaries. After much steam and ranting I kind of like you, peguy.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Senior Member ENTJ Extraordinaire's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i struggle greatly with this concept, because it takes quite a bit to make me angry at a person (compared to other ENTJ apparently). so much so that if you have made me angry, prepare yourself for thunderbolts and lightning coz i am going to destroy you

however, i think we confuse the 'love of ones enemy' with 'love of the fight' (by we, i mean me, and my alta-ego, RantLord). however, at the same time, there is a level of respect created when someone is will to go up against me (even more so if they can win).

*sigh* i guess hatred is a form of (quite fatal) attraction. we fight because we either have to, or because we want to, and if we want to, we are attracted to those who are willing, worthy, and able to withstand our blows.

so i guess in the end, regardless of whether we 'love' our enemies, there is definitely some close connections formed there.
    Actualized type: ENTJ
    Extroverted (E) 64.71% Introverted (I) 35.29%
    Intuitive (N) 56.1% Sensing (S) 43.9%
    Thinking (T) 68.42% Feeling (F) 31.58%
    Judging (J) 65% Perceiving (P) 35%

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

http://hubpages.com/profile/Joshywa1

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i love my enemies as myself. thats how i work.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

i wish i could do that,

but if i could, well...i couldn't be as destructive as i am now, coz i love myself waaaaay too much to want to destroy someone like me :P

ENTJ - "Field Marshall". The basic driving force and need is to lead. Tend to seek a position of responsibility and enjoys being an executive. 1.8% of total population.

MBTI
    INTJ

I am familiar with the concept of "just war"
    Catholic Answers: Just War Doctrine
    Just War in the Catechism of the Catholic Church
    and I know the God of the Old Testament was a God of war,
    but I just don't know enough about theology to know if there is any such thing as a just war on this side of the Cross,
    though I have heard R. C. Sproul teach it is so, and he is my favorite theologian.
    I believe we need to be strong in order to deter bullies;
    I just don't see what good has been accomplished from war in my lifetime.

I'm not sure if I agree with Schmitt's assessment of the text. The original Greek word was "echthros" so he must has been referring to the Latin words that could be used to translate the concept into Latin. He's saying they chose a Latin word that referred to a personal enemy rather than an enemy at large. I certainly wouldn't pin all my theology concerning a just war on one scripture like that. I'd want something a little more substantial, since war is of such gravity. Jesus did tell the disciples they would need a sword Luke 22:36, though I believe they were intended for self-defense.
    I haven't studied it enough to have a firm opinion.

There are times, I believe, that one nation who is allied with another nation, must aid them in defending against the attack of an enemy, just in the same way that I would help defend someone who is weak against someone who is strong. We don't just stand by and watch people get slaughtered.

I don't believe in wars of aggression.
    The war Christians are called to is a spiritual war.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I don't believe in wars of aggression.
    The war Christians are called to is a spiritual war.
    i feel even more strongly against a 'spiritual war' than an agressive one.

if a war is fought out of agression, it must be caused due to anger...which stems from (usually a wrong doing - a i am not talking about a hitler style 'i don't like you, so you die now' war, but a - 'you came into my country, kicked my dog, and now you are going to die' war.

at least when a war is fought in agression, it is generally fought in the name of 'justice' something i hold, personally, in higher esteem than i think more than anything.

however, when a war is fought in the name of a spiritual god, it suggests said god is saying one nation is better than the other, and so deserves to be attacked. something that disgusts me greatly. it is this mindset that empowers nations like the British to treat others like crap (in colonial times), take their homelands, and sell them into slavery. [mind you, although i am strongly opposed, i know that if it weren't for this occurance, we wouldn't be where we are today, i still don' think it is justified...this of course, leads to another philosophy i struggle to agree with...'the end justifies the means'...]

MBTI
    INTJ

When I said spiritual, I meant invisible... in the spirit... not in the physical realm.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

lol..that makes very little difference to my ranting. i still stand behind everything i say. whatever it was i said...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Re: OP. It's basically the foundation of Law and the way societies operate, so it's not surprising. "For the good of the people" kind of thing. Do that which advances the tribe, not which deteriorates it.