User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Knowledge is power; the more I know about you, the more power I have over you.
    Creeps into the "warning zone" so very INFP-like.

So I've told a lot about myself here. Please explain what power you have over me, Uber?

Or are you blustering?
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by reason View Post
    ...everything thread I start is somehow related to how i sound like a nihilist...

look we get it... you're a nihilist... thats nice. Get over it. ...And because *this* [existence, reality, arguments, truth, probability, knowledge, everything else you don't believe in] can't be true, you wont mind me being a total asshole about it, because really, we can't prove that I'm really an asshole...can we Reason?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Knowledge for the sake of knowledge is useless. Knowledge properly applied is. As Bluewing mentioned already, sure you can guess the answer randomly. Probability is against you though if you're merely guessing at solution. The more complex the problem, the worse your chances of guessing correctly.

I do not understand your reference to a cardiac surgeon. Being able to do the surgery = having the knowledge of how it's done + skills to do it. As I said already, knowledge by itself is useless, proper application of knowledge is. However you cannot apply something if you don't know how it work. QED

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    ^ You give me the creeps.
    It's Halloween, for Christ's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    He may be creepy but he's right.
    I agree with Silently Honest.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Me, a nihilist? Not in the slightest. If you have garnered such from anything I have written, then you have been reading it wrong.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    INFP

It's Halloween, for Christ's sake.

I agree with Silently Honest.
    Well, you may be honest, Uber, but I don't think you are correct about knowledge of others giving you power over them.

Unless you are talking about where they keep the key to the safe or their Social Security number.

If you are talking about knowledge of people's pain and a way to harm them with it, then perhaps you could have some power over someone who may allow you to do so. Chances are you wouldn't enjoy the company they make though. Could get lonesome.

But knowledge of others' needs and wants and theirs of yours, is actually a way to connect your personal power with theirs and can be a very positive thing.

Power over others isn't nearly as satisfying as power over one's own needs and wants. Get that one figured out and then you have some of your own personal power. And no one can take it from you without your permission.

I think that's pretty kewl.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Creep me out, Uber!

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Unless I decide that you know too much and kick you in the stomach.

MBTI
    INFP

I agree that the JTB theory is not infallible, but not all knowledge is defined by the JTB theory for this reason. Unless you are taking the position of the philosophical skeptic and saying that knowledge is unobtainable, I don't understand what you mean by 'knowledge is useless'. "Know-how" or procedural knowledge is having the abilities to do something. In the example of the surgeon, surely, being able to successfully perform a surgery is that type of knowledge. Being able to ride a bike as well involves cognitive abilities that I don't see how that requires justified true belief or true belief. You do not need knowledge of the laws of physics that allows you to ride a bike, but your body has to be capable of doing so.