User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: The Real World

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Default The Real World

Some people reference society by under the name "the real world" and this is prevalent especially in discipline.

"Its not going to be this east once you get into the real world"
    "You can't kill people here in the real world"

Where is the fake world?

No, I know they're talking about society. They say you're hiding from the real world, or you don't know how to deal in the real world.
    I imagine most introvert kids get this lecture from their Extravert parents as my introvert brother is now.
    They mean:
    "You can't do that in public!"

You can do whatever you want in the real world.
    The societies are the ones hiding from the real world. Or at least the hermits aren't the only ones.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP

The real world as opposed to a person's fantasy world where:
    -they are the center of the universe
    -actions go unpunished
    -everything is easy
    -etc

MBTI
    INFP

Deleted for the reason typed below.
    Last edited by Anja; 10-28-2008 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Realized I was intruding
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP

I think Nocapszy's a little ambitious. He'd probably rather just twist and influence the "real world" to accommodate his fantasy world if it arsed him. You just have to not abide by the imposed rules and be alright in carving out your own niche. I would assume that most people in the end will have some inclination at some point in life to play the game, at least a little bit in their older days.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I use the phrase "the real world" to describe the horrible, harsh and serious society that one must confront when leaving college

I think I'll go back to school... the ivory walls keep me safe and classes are fun!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    The real world as opposed to a person's fantasy world where:
    -they are the center of the universe
    -actions go unpunished
    -everything is easy
    -etc
    Yeah I know.
    I even said it in my post. My point isn't to say the accused is right, just that the accusers are wrong too.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I use the phrase "the real world" to describe the horrible, harsh and serious society that one must confront when leaving college
    Thats the same weapon my parents use on my avoidant brother, used to use on me when we didn't do our homework, or hit one another, or did some other bullshit kid thing.

But it's just a weapon. It's not quite a bluff, because society is in fact harsh, but it's not really truth.
    It's more like saying you're going to shoot someone with a club.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

From both sides there just messages striving for perfect ideal situations. In actuality, whatever the hell you desire to happen can occur depending on how skillful and creative you are. The actual world is in fact hard if you're not sufficiently calloused but even then if you're willing and able you have surprising freedom. Most people though are not naturally this way so there have to be some untruths stated in order to get "realistically" acclimated.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aimahn View Post
    From both sides there just messages striving for perfect ideal situations. In actuality, whatever the hell you desire to happen can occur depending on how skillful and creative you are.
    Right. Most people aren't very skillful or creative, and don't have the energy/motivation to become so. The easy way out is to cooperate with society. People also like to think that they're fully aware of the truth (a mammalian drive, I'm sure) and everything, so they tell themselves that the society is the real world.
    Evolved psychology creates holes. But it didn't have time before the emergence of society to decide what kind of dirt these holes should be filled with. This is one reason why denial works, confirmation bias works, why delusion is possible without psychosis etc...

The actual world is in fact hard if you're not sufficiently calloused but even then if you're willing and able you have surprising freedom. Most people though are not naturally this way so there have to be some untruths stated in order to get "realistically" acclimated.
    Right.
    Acclimated being a key word there -- they need training/practice.
    You can't be good at it right off the bat.

Lion cubs play violent games for hours training themselves for hunting later in life, without even knowing it. If they didn't have that, they'd all die out or they'd all have to find some other way to cope.
    We didn't have it, so we found another way to cope. Buildings.
    But we still want to think ourselves brave and courageous, even though we're not.

How silly.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Your parents are either guessing that your brother does not want to experience pain or punishment from society or they can't bear to see him go through it when, in fact, he may actually want to go through it. It does build character afterall.