User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Meditation

Default Meditation

I spend a considerable amount of time introspecting when I'm home alone. I've always been told that meditation can take a person to great heights if you allow it. I've been wondering how different types approach the subject, i.e. do some view it as a bunch of bologna while others are more capable of reaching heightened levels of spirituality.

I'm interested in hearing how people's experiences with meditation have affected their lives as well. I'm very open to delving in a bit further, but am very inexperienced.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvstellacat View Post
    I spend a considerable amount of time introspecting when I'm home alone. I've always been told that meditation can take a person to great heights if you allow it. I've been wondering how different types approach the subject, i.e. do some view it as a bunch of bologna while others are more capable of reaching heightened levels of spirituality.

I'm interested in hearing how people's experiences with meditation have affected their lives as well. I'm very open to delving in a bit further, but am very inexperienced.
    If you start with The Trance Institute , you will have an intellectual framework on which to put your new experiences.

Also you will be forewarned of traps and misapprehensions.

And you have the best beginning - the beginner's mind.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I would caution you to beware of any system of meditation that requires you to completely empty your mind. Meditation by definition is pondering. It is actively using your mind to focus on a subject. It doesn't require that you ever empty your mind.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I would caution you to beware of any system of meditation that requires you to completely empty your mind. Meditation by definition is pondering. It is actively using your mind to focus on a subject. It doesn't require that you ever empty your mind.
    Christians have been meditating for two thousand years. And I would be very surprised if they defined meditation as pondering.

My guess is that Journey is prejudiced against meditation because she pushes a very narrow interpretation of Christianity.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Victor, far from being prejudiced against medidation I practice it daily. I just caution against it including emptying the mind. The mind isn't meant to be empty. It is meant to be active, IMHO.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Journey, I also disagree with you. Trance is a natural state of mind that we go through when doing various tasks and having a narrowed state of consciousness can be beneficial in some ways. I believe it's been shown that in various altered states, subconscious emotional baggage can be simply "dissolved" and done away with. That's not something negative. Why would you say that the mind isn't meant to be empty?

I remember speaking to a Christian friend of mine once about meditation. He had the idea that the devil would start inserting stuff into your brain if you held it empty. It's true that trance states can leave you more susceptible. But most of us don't walk around in a trance state all day long. Understanding how these states of mind work can give us access to greater degrees of creativity. There's something called "Image Streaming" which I've practiced before, and I sensed that it is capable of putting one in an altered state of consciousness. After practicing speaking out freeflowing thought, I noticed that my mind had calmed down a lot as I got caught up so much in externalizing the experience. It was truly eye-opening. And while this doesn't directly relate to the empty-mind state, it still shows I believe some beneficial relation in all altered states.

Besides, we all go through this empty-mind state every time we drift off to sleep.

I have an electronic device that can induce some altered states of consciousness using microamps of electricity on certain frequencies going into the brain through little ear clips. The 7.83 Hz setting is /amazing/. It's as if I view the world anew.

I believe there was one Christian mystic who practiced the no-mind state of consciousness called Jeanne Guyon. There's an entire line of people following her teachings including Quakers.

Victor, far from being prejudiced against medidation I practice it daily. I just caution against it including emptying the mind. The mind isn't meant to be empty. It is meant to be active, IMHO.
    Well, the mind is meant to be active and it is also meant to rest.

And to rest the mind is certainly part of meditation. In particular we rest the cognitive faculties when we meditate.

And I can personally recommend that moment in meditation when all thought, including self talk, stops.

And I can also recommend that moment when thought and self talk begins again.

Indeed I might say meditation consists of learning to move gracefully between thought and no thoughts at all.

Meditation is quite like a dance where you dance on one foot of thought, followed by the other foot of no thought.

At first it is awkward like learning any new skill, but after a while you become graceful. Or as Journey might like to say, "Full of grace".

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I won't put words in your mouth, if you won't put words in mine, Victor.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Eldanen View Post
    Journey, I also disagree with you. Trance is a natural state of mind that we go through when doing various tasks and having a narrowed state of consciousness can be beneficial in some ways. I believe it's been shown that in various altered states, subconscious emotional baggage can be simply "dissolved" and done away with. That's not something negative. Why would you say that the mind isn't meant to be empty?

I remember speaking to a Christian friend of mine once about meditation. He had the idea that the devil would start inserting stuff into your brain if you held it empty. It's true that trance states can leave you more susceptible. But most of us don't walk around in a trance state all day long. Understanding how these states of mind work can give us access to greater degrees of creativity. There's something called "Image Streaming" which I've practiced before, and I sensed that it is capable of putting one in an altered state of consciousness. After practicing speaking out freeflowing thought, I noticed that my mind had calmed down a lot as I got caught up so much in externalizing the experience. It was truly eye-opening. And while this doesn't directly relate to the empty-mind state, it still shows I believe some beneficial relation in all altered states.

Besides, we all go through this empty-mind state every time we drift off to sleep.

I have an electronic device that can induce some altered states of consciousness using microamps of electricity on certain frequencies going into the brain through little ear clips. The 7.83 Hz setting is /amazing/. It's as if I view the world anew.

I believe there was one Christian mystic who practiced the no-mind state of consciousness called Jeanne Guyon. There's an entire line of people following her teachings including Quakers.
    The risks outweigh the benefits to me.

Arcesso pulli gingerios! Eldanen's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

The risks outweigh the benefits to me.
    Well, the risks are present during the meditation session. But during the session, you're usually not exposed to any external stimuli either. What exactly are the risks? Also, there's highway hypnosis, where you drive from point A to point B but don't remember much in between .