User Tag List

123 Last

Default how do we learn morals

Is religion or God really needed to know morals? Where does morality come from? I'd like to know what everyone thinks

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by passingby View Post
    Is religion or God really needed to know morals? Where does morality come from?
    I give credit to religions for reminding it is good to be good. But I don't think religion is necessary for morals. I actually think there is some "animal" morality in each of us. Morals are instinctual rules that have a lot to do with keeping the tribe functional.

Quote Originally Posted by passingby View Post
    I'd like to know what everyone thinks
    This, I can't help you with.

MBTI
    INFP

"Humanity will find in itself the strength to live for virtue even without believing in the immortality of the soul! It will find it in love of liberty, of equality, of fraternity." --Rakitin, The Brothers Karamazov

Sums up my position on the matter.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A short video from a Christian perspective that talks about this:

GodTube.com - Paul Washer "All men are born evil"

Even if you're not a Christian, the vid may still give you some interesting insights/perspective. Point to ponder: A child needs to be taught to share, be respectful, say please and thank-you etc. it does not come naturally. However, a child does not need to be taught to be selfish, cruel, and rude... we know how to be this way from birth.
    Last edited by lane777; 11-05-2008 at 01:52 AM.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INTP

Interesting topic... for some reason, after reading it I immediately thought about Ed Gein. A serial killer who most assuredly lacked societies idea of morality due to an abusive Christian mother who used the bible to instill fear and misogyny in him as discipline.

I guess I feel it depends on an individuals mental state as well as how we're taught to regard the world around us by the people who are supposed to guide us. Without someone to instill those morals, people are left to run unchecked from an early age.

Now in a healthy mind, of course, they will still be able to function even without the presence of a mentor because they will absorb these morals from the world around them.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    A short video from a Christian perspective that talks about this:

GodTube.com - Paul Washer "All men are born evil"

Even if you're not a Christian, the vid may still give you some interesting insights/perspective. Point to ponder: A child needs to be taught to share, be respectful, say please and thank-you etc. it does not come naturally or instinctively. However, a child does not need to be taught to be selfish, cruel, and rude... we know how to be this way from birth.

No, absolutely not!!!

Sure, I think some people are inherently predisposed to be more moral and empathetic than others, but that most people are somewhere in the middle being both relatively kind and selfish.

However, to say or believe that all men are born evil?!!?!?

Any man who would think this, I fear, would necessarily be projecting *his own evil tendencies* upon all of mankind.

This is why 90% of preachers get an enthusiastic thumbs down from me.

People can learn to act in an appropriate way but that does not mean that their actions are well-intentioned. Hence, morality is innate, and ethical behavior is learned
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

fear of punishment

it's like learning not to touch fire
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

While the specifics of what people define as good or bad varies from person to person, and in broader patterns, from group to group, some degree of morality is an inherent thing. It is a product of evolution, which exists for social purposes, which is unsurprising since human beings clearly ran down the path of a social species in so many other regards.

So, if nothing else, you can note that reciprocity is a central ethical rule in every culture. It is the simplest, most basic ethic, and might well have been the first we ever had. By my understanding, things like that will not go away with changes in society such what the common religious belief is. It does not really matter what church or country says, or whether or not the institutions of church or country even exist, because people have inborn ethics that are further developed by personal experieces which do not require direct teaching from others.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    fear of punishment

Don't you think (asshole) people learn to *act* ethically for fear of punishment, but that they do not learn how to *be* moral, per se, but rather they learn how to be more cunning?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    fear of punishment

it's like learning not to touch fire
    Fear of punishment. Want of reward. The main thing to note is that these rewards and punishments do not all come from an tangible, outside source. People do these things to themselves. They fear shame and guilt, for instance. People fear their own moral judgment.
    Go to sleep, iguana.