• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lonely Universe

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I was surfing youtube and came across this and it gave me the chills. To think how big the universe really is, where we occupy it, and how that reframes the way we look at the things we consider "problems" is chilling, to say the least.

[YOUTUBE="faRb8VW13pg"]Only 40 seconds long[/YOUTUBE]

If you have any pictures or videos you can post along this theme, go for it. I have one more.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
universe05.jpg

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
reminds me of Contact (the movie with jodie foster) and acid. lolz

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have already posted this but I think that this is very good for visualizing the entire size.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6nwpcAcA0c"]The Universe -How Big Are You?[/YOUTUBE]

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Antisocial one's is really nice.

ajblaise obviously has a problem with interpreting basic sentences.:rolli: (when N goes S)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I was thinking of the Total Perspective Vortex as well.....

I'm not particularly disturbed by the idea of an infinite universe- I think it's kind of fascinating because of all of the millions of millions of things that are still undiscovered and that there really ARE things that we don't already understand... I guess I find comfort in the unknown because it means that there are still plenty of puzzle pieces left to deal with.

NOT knowing, and the process of finding things out comforts me a lot more than the idea of knowing...

Plus- I LOVE the pictures of other galaxies and star clusters and such... they're so beautiful :wubbie: (I used to have a picture of space taken from the Hubble Space Telescope hanging over my bed, near the map of the world)

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
ajblaise obviously has a problem with interpreting basic sentences.:rolli: (when N goes S)

You're not looking closely enough, for it is then when the mystery of the universe will be unraveled for you...

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
For me the ocean is a good metaphor for the power of vastness. And just yesterday I was thinking, "What's the ocean? A mere drop of water. . ."

When I realized that the loneliness and emptiness was not "Out there" but rather within, my whole life view changed and so did I.

It's not empty at all when it is filled with love and trust and attentiveness! It teems with life and so do I.

Lucky us.

Last edited:

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
It is pretty incredible. Kind of ruins our typical view of somehow being special and important.

locke

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was surfing youtube and came across this and it gave me the chills. To think how big the universe really is, where we occupy it, and how that reframes the way we look at the things we consider "problems" is chilling, to say the least.

Befriend the atoms you know, and don't worry about the ones in the next sun over.

ring the bell

I have to be careful the next time I open up a thread.. I have to actively NOT think about the universe or else I'll be caught up in thinking about it for at least an hour... It's a good thing to think about when things are getting to be a little too much. It just reminds me of how small and insignificant my personal footprint on existence of everything everywhere really is.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This makes me feel a little nostalgic. When I was 13, I had a large, detailed map of the structure of the known universe showing the solar system, the local star group, star clusters, the galaxy, the groups of galaxies, etc. My entire room was filled with pictures of space and I was determined to study astrophysics and become an astronaut. I guess that will remain my unattainable dream.

From the time I started thinking for myself, I found a great deal of comfort in attempting to conceive of how large the universe is. A sense of insignificance provides a deep comfort for me. I think it is because of an awareness of my limitations. It might be like the infant who feels safe in its mother's comparatively strong arms. Anytime I start to feel significant, I feel trapped somehow. Maybe it is a letting go of responsibilities that are beyond my control. Whatever happens it isn't up to me, and there is something already set and powerful in place. My lack of understanding can in no way affect it. Plus, the grandness and beauty of the universe is the ultimate aesthetic experience of deep wonder.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is for people that are interested in how the sizes look from the perspective of numbers and scaling.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4RMIctims&feature=related"]SIZE MATTERS[/YOUTUBE]