User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default Astrology's Planet Archetypes and MBTI Letter Code/Cognitive Functions

I know I'm not the first or last to do astrology and myers-briggs. As many have noted, myers-briggs work comes from jung's work, which itself comes in some part from alchemy, which comes from astrology. Additionally, all these systems of psyche use somewhat platonic categories, and so this inclination to find parallels seems pretty rational.

I've been disappointed with what I've found so far though, as most tend to focus on
    • 12 sun signs (virgo, leo...) vs. the 16 personalities (intp, esfj...)
    • 4 elements (fire, earth, water, air) vs. the 4 cognition types (thinking, feeling, sensation, intuition)
    • whole natal horoscopes (conjuctions, aspects, sign influences...) vs. the 16 personalities

which is pretty limited, given both astrology and myers-briggs theories have a lot of other possible angles for cross-comparison.

I found the following parallels myself, but I'm curious how others see them. They're numbered as followed

1. Astrological Planetary Archetype
    2. 8 letter code parallels
    3. Cognitive Functions parallels

1. Uranus:
    Originality, inventions, breaking from tradition, bohemian, freedom, creativity, forward-looking, originality, discovery, innovation, progressive, novelty, ingenuity, spark of intuition, quirkiness
    2. Perception:
    The state of taking in and perception information, of not converging on conscious or unconscious conclusions/judgment
    Focused on exploring options, trying things out, preferring novelty over repetition, does not decide until necessary or exceptionally sure
    May not grow sufficient life structure or criticality
    3. Extroverted Intuition:
    Perceives through abstract patterns built from immediate sensorial reception and memory – tastes, smells, sounds, visuals… -- to connect to subtle, emergent possibilities for altering or innovating the world around them. Enjoying being silly and playful without shame. Energizes others in its vision of future possibilities; feels a sense of oneness in the perceived unity of all things

1. Saturn
    Discipline, responsibility, limitations, restriction, delay, tradition, convention, structure, order, past experience, boundaries, responsibilities, commitments, rules, regulation
    2. Judgment
    The state of formulating ideas, responses, minimizing extraneous stimulus from external and internal environment
    Focused on what is known or proven, operate from set structures, editing themselves only when necessary or when exceptionally sure
    May not grow sufficient open-mindedness or tolerance towards uncertainty
    3. Introverted Sensing
    Perceives the present through bodily sensations that are connected to the past, collecting an extensive range of learned facts and memory, can feel a sense of oneness with the past through tradition and ritual; prefers sticking to known structures and experiences

1. Jupiter
    Exploring ideas, formulating ideology, ethical and moral values, benevolence, honor, tolerance, expansive, gratitude, bounty, good will, mercy, blind optimism
    2. Introversion
    The state of perceiving/reflecting or judging/modifying belief inwards
    Prefers not to initiate, edits their expressions, leans on internal perceptions and memory, requires reflection time to grow, prefers a path of idealism
    May not grow sufficiently assertive to test or manifest internal structures
    3. Introverted Feeling
    Strives for integrity and consistency in its ideals. Concerned with internal sense of right and wrong, and keeping consistent to these principles. Highly in tune with the emotional subtleties and essence of other people. Selective concerning when something is worth standing up for.

1. Mars
    Energy, passion, determination, command, confidence, ambition, competition, courage, assertion, stamina, action, raw energy, forthright, impatient, forceful, impulsive
    2. Extroversion
    The state of perceiving/exploring or judging/directing the external environment
    Prefers to keep active and honest with others and in activities, leans on external feedback, prefers a path of pragmatism
    May not grow sufficiently reflective to question and improve external habits
    3. Extroverted Thinking
    Focuses on maximizing efficiency in the outside world, including solving problems or managing situations. It accepts flawed means if they still accomplish a goal, becoming impatient if no measurable results are made. Desires to build from and lean on structure and order; notices inconsistencies in logic and reality. Competitive and thrives on satisfaction from accomplishment.

1. Venus
    Love, romance, emotional harmony, appreciation, attraction, arts, indulgence, possessions, sensuality, sentiments, pleasure in life, charm, taste, attachment, superficial
    2. Feeling
    Personal sentiment, personal concerns, compassion, tactful over truthful. Harmony-oriented, values-oriented.
    3. Extroverted Feeling
    Seeks optimal social relationships and interactions, recognizes how to bring social harmony; modifies behavior to conform to perceived and stated desires of others; desires opening up others.

1. Mercury
    Communication, intellect, logic, thought expression, quick thinking, dexterity, perceptiveness, deconstruction, analysis, sorting, technical, intelligence, memory
    2. Thinking
    Impersonal results, technical, logical, precise, categorical, explicit understanding. Task-oriented, solution-oriented.
    3. Introverted Thinking
    Uses an internal system for analyzing and categorizing everything; takes concepts apart to understand underlying principals; presumes a logical order to the universe; finds the best words to express a concept with clarity and brevity.

1. Ceres*
    Cultivation, nourishment, collective needs; Goddess of Common Man
    Our connection to what we consume, the planet, products, icons
    2. Sensation
    Is in connection with their literal surroundings, prefer pleasurable and sensually engaging experiences; focus on sense impressions, comfort and luxury,
    May not grow sufficient ‘big picture’ understanding outside of most direct concerns and experiences
    3. Extroverted Sensation
    Have detailed perception of literal present reality; good at sizing up situations and others; follows trends and embraces social conventions and norms, prefers taking experiential approaches to life, reading cues to maximize impact, living in the present moment

1. Pluto
    Transformation, regeneration, rebirth, destruction, obsession, subversion, intensity, repression, obsessive power, individual truth
    2. Intuition
    Prefers abstraction over literalism, finding connections and relationships between concepts, categories, and systems
    May not grow sufficiently grounded in real limitations or apply their capabilities
    3. Introverted Intuition
    Generates unique and complex insights that seem out of nowhere, but are developed through unconscious processes that work outside of conscious effort to converge on probabilities. Seeks the hidden essence of everything to deepen understanding, sometimes only for its own sake; may get lost in conspiracy, or completely transform behavior based on insights

* Ceres does not yet have astrological consensus on its archetype, but I pulled from some common themes among the little writing I found.

For those wondering, I'm currently gathering more interpretations, but I see the solar bodies not included above as

Neptune - Superego - Conscience
    Sun - Ego, meeting the challenges of everyday life
    Moon - Id - Stream of consciousness, basic habits, ingrained reactions
    Sedna - Sub - Self-vindication, rationalizing of bad behavior
    Chiron - Neurosis - Emotional health

I have more rationale for these choices, but I think I'm posting enough. I'd appreciate any feedback!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

This is pretty neat, @iauiugu. I've studied astrology for a long time and for the most part agree with the functions you've applied to the planetary energies. Would be interesting to take this schema to compare what energies combine to form each type, and then to take that self-selected type and compare it to the natal chart to see what energies are actually predominant.

What were you seeking feedback on?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

While I don't believe in astrology, this is actually interesting stuff that links to what I feel from Gustav Holst's The Planets (if you can type a song), it adds another angle to it somewhat.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    This is pretty neat, @iauiugu. I've studied astrology for a long time and for the most part agree with the functions you've applied to the planetary energies. Would be interesting to take this schema to compare what energies combine to form each type, and then to take that self-selected type and compare it to the natal chart to see what energies are actually predominant.

What were you seeking feedback on?
    Thanks @Wind Up Rex!

I like your idea for cross-analysis, but since I know little of astrology I wouldn't know how to study predominance of planetary influence myself.

I suppose I'm mostly curious to what extent people agree with the parallels i've found, or may see other ones as more appropriate. for instance for some time i thought introverted thinking was more plutonic (individualistic, pursues 'truth' deeper than is conventional -- but intuition specifically pulls from the unconscious or what is not obviously present), extroverted feeling more cererian (likely to be conformist -- but this is a small facet of it)

I'm also curious if the cognitive 'elements' or 'functions' seem to match up better, since they're quite different things in mbti.

between cognitive functions and the other things, i imagine astrology, as a study that mostly shows fluctuation and probabilities, is more related to the non-functions, as the functions are believed to be innate, while the other factors are conditioned and modifiable -- for instance as an INFJ i could train myself to be more comfortably extroverted (martian), but as far as i can tell my automatic reaction to new information will always be 'introverted intuition'-ish -- a narrow, out-of-nowhere impression or angle on things, often without clear correlation to what made it manifest in my stream of consciousness.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I used to be heavily invested in astrology in the past, and I know quite a lot about it. Now, I don't regard it anymore. Nevertheless, I grew up with it from a very early age (my mother was and is still very into it), so there is a certain level of sentimental fondness I have for it that will always be there. My natal chart fits me like a glove (less so in regards to life events, but that's a different matter), and I have spent a lot of personal time both before and after I regarded astrology as baseless, and I will not deny that there seems to be a level of accuracy is beyond what one would expect from statistics. The forer effect is rife though, so it's difficult to say. At the end of the day though, astrology is just fun to me. It's like a complicated puzzle, and has parallels to typology.

While I stayed away from it for a long time since I ditched out of principal, I've recently come to see it as something that "ok" to play with. In essence, there is very little odds, chance, or room for basic natal chart reads about a person to be harmful. It can be used as a starting point for self discovery, self reflection, and growth and development as a person. So long as it stays contained to just personal makeup, and doesn't dictate relationships or action taken towards ones life (usually dealing timing of unsupported actions), it's not bad, and at worst, is fun.

With that out of the way (I feel like I have to make this disclaimer a lot), I think your list is accurate, and I have a difficult time faulting much in it. With that being said, I don't think there is going to be a significant enough correlation to link typology to astrology on individual levels. Largely because astrology is so nuanced and interpretive heavy that there's many ways placements can manifest. For example, I am very very Plutonian, so one would expect me to be an Ni dom, and I am not. Granted, I thought I was for many years.

I have noticed however that Aries placements seem to show up fairly frequently with E4's. It's purely anecdotal though so I can't verify it's voracity.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Kho liked this post

I am an Fi dom and I have a heavily Jupiter-influenced chart.

Your Jupiter/Fi description is very complimentary, so of course I like it.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I used to be heavily invested in astrology in the past, and I know quite a lot about it. Now, I don't regard it anymore. Nevertheless, I grew up with it from a very early age (my mother was and is still very into it), so there is a certain level of sentimental fondness I have for it that will always be there. My natal chart fits me like a glove (less so in regards to life events, but that's a different matter), and I have spent a lot of personal time both before and after I regarded astrology as baseless, and I will not deny that there seems to be a level of accuracy is beyond what one would expect from statistics. The forer effect is rife though, so it's difficult to say. At the end of the day though, astrology is just fun to me. It's like a complicated puzzle, and has parallels to typology.
    Interesting points to note -- I haven't heard of the Forer Effect before. I know of times I've been subject and slave to it, but I too have found the number of parallels between it and myself to be noteworthy.

For my part I've looked into astrology for about a year now, after suppressing a lifelong interest in it, to be honest. i have been mostly into the secular, scientific and academic route of thinking, but i decided a while back that i could indulge my truest interests of study, which included astrology, among other 'occult' things. astrology is one of the few things that's really stuck.

While I stayed away from it for a long time since I ditched out of principal, I've recently come to see it as something that "ok" to play with. In essence, there is very little odds, chance, or room for basic natal chart reads about a person to be harmful. It can be used as a starting point for self discovery, self reflection, and growth and development as a person. So long as it stays contained to just personal makeup, and doesn't dictate relationships or action taken towards ones life (usually dealing timing of unsupported actions), it's not bad, and at worst, is fun.
    That's a fair way to put it. Most of my peers are more resistant to it, but I hope to convince them to feel similarly about it.

With that out of the way (I feel like I have to make this disclaimer a lot), I think your list is accurate, and I have a difficult time faulting much in it. With that being said, I don't think there is going to be a significant enough correlation to link typology to astrology on individual levels. Largely because astrology is so nuanced and interpretive heavy that there's many ways placements can manifest. For example, I am very very Plutonian, so one would expect me to be an Ni dom, and I am not. Granted, I thought I was for many years.

I have noticed however that Aries placements seem to show up fairly frequently with E4's. It's purely anecdotal though so I can't verify it's voracity.
    As a disclaimer, this is my most far-fetched sense of connection, so I'll try to keep it clear and brief

I think the astrological archetypes overlap in the two ways, with types of actions and information (perceiving, sensing), or with the cognitive functions.

In my mind, the quantity and quality of types of actions and information in a social sphere are synchronous with an astrological read of what factors are archetypally likely to be predominant (ex. uranian-plutonian socially liberal behaviors in the 60s, more intuitive, novelty-seeking, perceiving, judgment-suppressing, or saturnian-plutonian social conservative people's behaviors in the 80s, more judging and sensoral, focus on concrete data and order)

The cognitive functions independently relate as the types of cognitive of people who are more likely to favor certain types of behavior and ideology, and therefore have social status and prominence in relation to the changing tides of social norms, as analyzed in astrology and history.

I stumbled on this thought when I realized the parallels between Uranus' transit (as discussed in Cosmos and Psyche) and the American history research of Lowe and Strauss, who analyzed American history in terms of generations, and found a four-generation pattern that in my mind parallels the archetype of uranus at its squares and opposition points. Lowe and Strauss are/were conservative men, with no connection to astrology, but did connect their idea to jungian concepts of personality, in the same manner astrology seems to be.

This would take considerable research to back up though, so for now I think people may get into labeling themselves as one of these astrological archetypes in themselves, which if done freely and not dogmatically seems like more benefit and fun than harm. It could also be much more accessible to someone not particularly into astrology than, for example, finding a credible astrologist who will not assert more than they should. (i'm still shopping)

In my case, as an INFJ, I'd say my Plutonian and Venutian characteristics are prominent, but also noteworthy is my weakness to Mars and Saturn reflect to me the effects of my domineering EJ mom, dad, and sister, while other INFJs seem much less averse, and sometimes attracted to having these characteristics

My father, as an ENFJ, can be often more Martian than Venutian, as a working class Roman Catholic Italian kid who had to become an adult early

I see this too reflecting the difference between our cognitive preference (which seems, save major brain trauma, pretty static in life) and the types of behaviors and information we have received (which in turn form the types that we use, perceive, like, reject, etc.) which overlap in terms of the astrological archetype

I haven't seen any correlation between cognitive functions and natal charts or anything though, which, if my or another person's parallels between astrology and typology hold up, is interesting. My chart is super earthy, and I get why considering how I was raised, but most INFJs don't seem remotely as earthy as I am, or sun sign virgos.

Hopefully that makes some sense. Thanks for your thoughtful feedback

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

hmmm, I would have chosen differently but you have good reasoning behind it.

is my jupiter on the MC opposite saturn responsible for fi-si looping?
    Likes GarrotTheThief liked this post

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well intuition is water, action is fire, sensation is earth, and intellect is air...it's the same for the tarot and in all cultures...

in the east they break down even more into wood, metal, etc...but pretty much every culture in history and today agrees that water is emotion, air is thought, fire is action, and practicality and sensation is earth....

I mean the planets don't align with the types, they are a separate thing entirely, another layer of the psyche...

the planets are archtypes and symbols with great polysemy and are more of a syncronistic thread or needle that passes through our reality.

For example, Saturn is limitation and structure, but it is also the tearcher, while jupter is higher learning that exapnds the mind, saturn is the rote aspect...

The planets are more known by the feeling they leave or impress or evoke. If you feel dread and anticipation that might be a Saturn and Pluto conjunction.

If you feel sudden dread, that's like uranus in the mix too...

You know...they can't be ripped out of their place and put in the TYPE box.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.

The Green Jolly Robin H.
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    hmmm, I would have chosen differently but you have good reasoning behind it.

is my jupiter on the MC opposite saturn responsible for fi-si looping?
    I would say no.
    "i shut the door and in the morning
    it was open
    -the end"

Olemn slammed his hammer and from the sparks on the metal of his anvil came the spheres of the heavens.

Sayrah blew life into the spheres and they moved. From her wheel she weaved the names of people in to mystery.