User Tag List

123 Last

Default Oldham's Personality Styles (correlation with MBTI)

I was looking for correlation of Oldham and MBTI types. I’ve found some information, but my guesses are a little bit different and so I thought that I could make inside statistic in the forum. And see if we could notice correlation and is it significant.

What do you think?
    I’m asking for a little help in here. I found old thread where people were writing what their types are, but it is chaotic, people wrote different amount of types and some of them only after reading short descriptions. I think Oldham's test is a good one ( this is the one exception, the test typed me better than I did it myself at the beginning)so I would ask you to do it – you can find it here unless you have read “The New Personality Self-Portrait” and you know that the test is wrong about you, then I would just trust your better judgment. Then write me the results as three main styles (in order) here or if you prefer in PM.

If I get enough data I promise to make statistics and we’ll see what the results we got

At the end I’ll give you the introduction ( I know everything in the wrong order)
    Oldham is a psychiatrist who developed personality system for healthy people based on the neurotic categories of the psychiatrist's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM). Due to Oldham our personality is comprised of 14 various styles and each of them has influence on our behavior( depending on how much they are developed in the individual). What’s more one style affects another. 14 styles are:
    1.Adventurous
    2.Aggressive
    3.Conscientious
    4.Devoted
    5.Dramatic
    6.Indiosyncratic
    7.Leisurely
    8.Mercurial
    9.Sef- Confident
    10.Self- Sacrificing
    11.Sensitive
    12.Serious
    13.Solitary
    14.Viligent
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

The No Likes Experiment.

Ok, I better just post here what I found.

Oldham's Style Myers-Briggs Type Enneagram Type
    Conscientious ENFJ 1
    Sensitive INFJ 4w5
    Vigilant ENFP 6w5
    Dramatic INFP 4w3
    Aggressive ENTJ 8
    Idiosyncratic INTJ 5w4
    Inventive ENTP 3w4
    Solitary INTP 5w6
    Leisurely ESTJ 9w8
    Serious ISTJ 9w1
    Self-Sacrificing ESFJ 2
    Devoted ISFJ 6w7
    Self-Confident ESTP 3w2
    Adventurous ISTP 7w8
    Mercurial ESFP 7w6
    Artistic ISFP 7w6
    or

Oldham's Style Myers-Briggs Types Primary Function
    Adventurous xSTP (ESTP, ISTP) Extraverted Sensing
    Aggressive ExTJ (ESTJ, ENTJ) Extraverted Thinking
    Artistic xSFP (ESFP, ISFP) Extraverted Sensing
    Conscientious xSTJ (ESTJ, ISTJ) Introverted Sensing
    Devoted xSFJ (ESFJ, ISFJ) Extraverted Feeling
    Dramatic ESFx (ESFJ, ESFP) Extraverted Feeling
    Idiosyncratic INTx (INTJ, INTP) Introverted Intuition
    Inventive ENxP (ENTP, ENFP) Extraverted Intuition
    Leisurely IxFP (ISFP, INFP) Introverted Feeling
    Mercurial ExFP (ESFP, ENFP) Extraverted Feeling
    Self-Confident ExTP (ESTP, ENTP) Extraverted Thinking
    Self-Sacrificing ExFJ (ESFJ, ENFJ) Extraverted Feeling
    Sensitive INFx (INFJ, INFP) Introverted Feeling
    Serious ISxJ (ISTJ, ISFJ) Introverted Sensing
    Solitary IxTJ (ISTJ, INTJ) Introverted Thinking
    Vigilant xNTJ (ENTJ, INTJ) Extraverted Intuition
    from there
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

The No Likes Experiment.

I didn't take the quiz linked on your webpage because .exe file, don't want to download, etc.

However, I found an alternative TEST that seems pretty thorough.

My results:
    Vigilant types have a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, need no outside reassurance or advice, make decisions easily, and can take care of themselves. Feisty individuals, they do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when under attack. They take criticism very seriously but are not intimidated. They are keen observers of others and their surroundings and are quick to criticize what they see. They recognize when something is not right and can detect double messages and mixed motives. They are suited to city life (and to research, law, law enforcement, editing, and journalism), where hyper-alertness and questioning others' intentions is important. They prepare themselves for the worst, which may make them appear suspicious, but as a result, they are difficult to intimidate or fool. They are tough, independent survivors, often serving important roles as protectors and champions of the underdog and of causes in general.

In their personal relationships, they are slow to warm up and trust others, but once they do, they are devoted, loyal, and protective. Caution and reserve mark their work relationships as well. They need to feel independent and autonomous in all areas of their life. They often match well with partners or subordinates who are comfortable with dependence and who let them be in charge. Loss of control can cause them extreme stress. They have a tendency to blame others for what goes wrong, rather than accept that sometimes no one is at fault. They are survivors, though, and their resilient autonomy usually sees them through the rough spots.

Mercurial types live life on a roller-coaster of emotional peaks and valleys. Emotionally active and reactive, they put their hearts into everything. They are driven by feelings. They hold nothing back and take nothing lightly, especially when it comes to other people.

Mercurial individuals must always be deeply involved in a romantic relationship with one person. They experience a passionate, focused attachment in all their relationships . There is no style more romantic; they idolize and idealize their lovers but have a hard time accepting the imperfections that cause their one-and-only to fall off the pedestal, so their disappointment is profound. They never compromise their feelings, so a calm quiet life with a 'regular' person is probably out of the question.

Mercurial people are spontaneous, fun-loving, and self-indulgent. They throw themselves into their passions, which can cause problems in the absence of balancing self-disciplined styles (such as Conscientious). They are imaginative and curious, willing to experience and experiment with other cultures, roles, and value systems. They are skilled at distancing themselves from reality when it is painful. They can jump into new lifestyles easily but may have difficulty defining their own identity.

At work, these individuals can be bright, enthusiastic, and creative. They become intensely involved with their coworkers and take everything that happens in work relationships personally. They work hard to please the boss, whom they often idolize, but they need recognition and rewards to keep up the good work.

Dramatic types live in an emotional world. They are sensation-oriented, emotionally demonstrative, and physically affectionate. They react emotionally to events and can shift moods quickly. They're 'heart' people rather than 'head' people. They overflow with feeling and zest. They are spontaneous and love excitement, attention, applause, and emotion. They experience life vividly and expansively and have rich imaginations and entertaining stories to tell.

Highly social, they are often happiest when the atmosphere is highly charged and all eyes are on them. They pay close attention to grooming and enjoy clothes, style, and fashion. Dramatic people energize and charm others. Many have profound intuition about other people's feelings. Because they are other-directed, their self-esteem may balance on how other people respond to them.

Dramatic individuals enjoy their sexuality. They are seductive, engaging, and charming. Easily putting their trust in others and characteristically suggestible, they are able to become quickly involved in relationships. They demand a lot of energy from their partners and from subordinates at work. They have a low tolerance for boredom, which can lead to difficulties settling into a relationship or into jobs that do not present continual stimulation.

Life with Dramatic people can be stormy, considering their strong and immediate emotional reactions. Nonetheless, they frequently are attracted to dry, stable Conscientious types who provide necessary balance to their lives (and to whose lives they can bring some excitement). Conscientious partners will need to learn how to compliment and to say, 'I love you,' since Dramatic people lose confidence when they don't receive feedback.

Trouble in a relationship is a major blow to self-esteem, as is being without a partner or lover. To cope with stress and anxiety, Dramatic types like to look on the bright side, to repress the unpleasant and to sustain an optimistic outlook.

These are not detail people, but they are often highly creative, idea types, sometimes brilliant in their hunches. They can be good at persuading others to back their projects and often make strong managers. However, they do best at work and in their personal lives if they can find others who are better at the tedious follow-through.

Leisurely types believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms. They do not allow themselves to be exploited. Unlike Type-A individuals, Leisurely types are not obsessed with time urgency. To them, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually. They accept themselves and their approach to life and believe they are just as good as everyone else and entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well or poorly.

Leisurely types proceed in their own direction and, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, they often do not know how to proceed. While they do not like to risk important relationships, they need to feel free.

The freedom to be oneself is key to Leisurely types. They play by the rules and fulfill their responsibilities and obligations. But once they've put in their time, nothing will deprive them of their personal pursuit of happiness. What's important to them is not how they choose to enjoy themselves but that they are guaranteed this opportunity. If threatened, these normally nonchalant individuals will vigorously defend their right to do their own thing.

Unless they are in the creative arts or intellectual pursuits, most Leisurely people do not get personal pleasure from their work. They put in their time but are usually not the hard-driving, get-ahead types. They love their leisure time and know how to enjoy it. Unless they have a work-oriented style that balances their Leisurely tendencies (e.g., Conscientious or Self-Confident), they rarely become managers or leaders because they simply aren't interested in getting ahead. At home, Leisurely people tend to do things they enjoy and may put off tasks, such as paying the bills or washing the dishes, which may put a burden on other family members. As well, Leisurely types generally avoid confrontations (unless they feel that their rights have been violated). They prefer indirect resistance.

They have a great ability to enjoy themselves and can lead extremely satisfying lives if they can be free to seek their own pleasures, in their own time, in their own way.

I would say I'm a pretty even blend of vigilant and mercurial with a splash of leisurely. Dramatic, not so much, or rather, only the qualities that overlap with mercurial.
    Likes Kas liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

My results:

Leisurely types believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms. They do not allow themselves to be exploited. Unlike Type-A individuals, Leisurely types are not obsessed with time urgency. To them, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually. They accept themselves and their approach to life and believe they are just as good as everyone else and entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well or poorly.

Leisurely types proceed in their own direction and, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, they often do not know how to proceed. While they do not like to risk important relationships, they need to feel free.

The freedom to be oneself is key to Leisurely types. They play by the rules and fulfill their responsibilities and obligations. But once they've put in their time, nothing will deprive them of their personal pursuit of happiness. What's important to them is not how they choose to enjoy themselves but that they are guaranteed this opportunity. If threatened, these normally nonchalant individuals will vigorously defend their right to do their own thing.

Unless they are in the creative arts or intellectual pursuits, most Leisurely people do not get personal pleasure from their work. They put in their time but are usually not the hard-driving, get-ahead types. They love their leisure time and know how to enjoy it. Unless they have a work-oriented style that balances their Leisurely tendencies (e.g., Conscientious or Self-Confident), they rarely become managers or leaders because they simply aren't interested in getting ahead. At home, Leisurely people tend to do things they enjoy and may put off tasks, such as paying the bills or washing the dishes, which may put a burden on other family members. As well, Leisurely types generally avoid confrontations (unless they feel that their rights have been violated). They prefer indirect resistance.

They have a great ability to enjoy themselves and can lead extremely satisfying lives if they can be free to seek their own pleasures, in their own time, in their own way.

Mercurial types live life on a roller-coaster of emotional peaks and valleys. Emotionally active and reactive, they put their hearts into everything. They are driven by feelings. They hold nothing back and take nothing lightly, especially when it comes to other people.

Mercurial individuals must always be deeply involved in a romantic relationship with one person. They experience a passionate, focused attachment in all their relationships . There is no style more romantic; they idolize and idealize their lovers but have a hard time accepting the imperfections that cause their one-and-only to fall off the pedestal, so their disappointment is profound. They never compromise their feelings, so a calm quiet life with a 'regular' person is probably out of the question.

Mercurial people are spontaneous, fun-loving, and self-indulgent. They throw themselves into their passions, which can cause problems in the absence of balancing self-disciplined styles (such as Conscientious). They are imaginative and curious, willing to experience and experiment with other cultures, roles, and value systems. They are skilled at distancing themselves from reality when it is painful. They can jump into new lifestyles easily but may have difficulty defining their own identity.

At work, these individuals can be bright, enthusiastic, and creative. They become intensely involved with their coworkers and take everything that happens in work relationships personally. They work hard to please the boss, whom they often idolize, but they need recognition and rewards to keep up the good work.

Self-Confident types believe in themselves and in their abilities. They have no doubt that they are unique and special and expect others to treat them well at all times. They are unabashedly open about their aspirations and possibilities. They energetically and effectively sell themselves and their goals, so their goals are often achieved. They are able to take advantage of the strengths and abilities of other people to meet their goals and are shrewd in their dealings with others. They have a keen awareness of their own thoughts and feelings.

They often visualize themselves as the hero, star, or most accomplished in their field and accept compliments and admiration gracefully. Self-Confident types have a real talent for leadership and a genuine need to be in charge. They thrive when they are in a position to influence others. They are innately competitive and love status, image, and power. They like to be the attention-getters on the team or in the family. They are extroverted and good at politics. They love getting to the top and enjoy staying there. They identify well with people of high rank and status. They make excellent managers, skilled at delegating, building a motivated team, and rewarding loyalty. But they do not appreciate competition from their subordinates or attempts to share the limelight. They hate being criticized, even if justified. It may not seem to affect them outwardly but inwardly they react powerfully.

They are extremely good at accepting love and admiration but tend to be unaware of the needs of other people. They are so engaged in their own agenda they ignore what is happening to the people around them. They do have a conscience, though; it is political. If they understand they cannot remain on top without being more attentive to those below them, they will make a real effort to be more considerate.

In their personal lives, this lack of attention to others can carry big consequences. They must be reminded occasionally that their spouse or children have individual needs and feelings quite different from their own. Self-Confident people are prone to believe that the people they care about are just like them. Although they may appear selfish and oblivious to others, Self-Confident individuals take rejection very hard. As in their work life, the threat of losing position and importance will often motivate them to work on the relationship before it's too late.

This can be a very strong style, marking individuals who believe they have a purpose on the planet and the strength to discover it. They tend to be successful because they weather the frustrations and doubts that make other people quit along the way.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    946 sp/sx

It's more like:
    Leisurely>Vigilant>Idiosyncratic>Serious
    「 」

Thanks @senza tema , I didn't find it before. That's the very same test

I agree that Mercurial and Dramatic styles have similar traits- they're both active and emotional (so maybe that's the reason of results). On the other hand the dramatic type is on many levels contrary to Vigilant (while Dramatic enjoys being in centre of attention and easily engage, the Vigilant is rather self-defensive and observant) so as the types influence each other the Dramatic could balance some behaviours of Vigilant and emphasize some of Mercurial.

Anyway I'll add the most characteristic traits of Vigilant style for you
    1. Autonomy. Vigilant-style individuals possess a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, they require no outside reassurance or advice, they make decisions easily, and they can take care of themselves.
    2. Caution. They are careful in their dealings with others, preferring to size up a person before entering into a relationship.
    3. Perceptiveness. They are good listeners, with an ear for subtlety, tone, and multiple levels of communication.
    4. Self-defense. Individuals with Vigilant style are feisty and do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when they are under attack.
    5. Alertness to criticism. They take criticism very seriously, without becoming intimidated.
    6. Fidelity. They place a high premium on fidelity and loyalty. They work hard to earn it, and they never take it for granted.

and interests:
    - letting nothing escape your notice
    - being aware of your environment
    - being a survivor
    - scanning the people and situations around you
    - being aware of mixed messages, hidden motivations, evasions and subtle distortions of the truth
    - assuming the roles of social critic, watchdog, ombudsman, and crusader

And there is Leisurely @Kullervo @Corsiva
    characteristic traits:
    1. Inalienable rights. Leisurely men and women believe in their right to enjoy themselves on their own terms in their own time. They value and protect their comfort, their free time, and their individual pursuit of happiness.
    2. Enough is enough. They agree to play by the rules. They deliver what is expected of them and no more. They expect others to recognize and respect that limit.
    3. The right to resist. Leisurely individuals cannot be exploited. They can comfortably resist acceding to demands that they deem unreasonable or above and beyond the call of duty.
    4. Mañana. Leisurely men and women are relaxed about time. Unlike Type-A individuals, they are not obsessed by time urgency or the demands of the clock. To these individuals, haste makes waste and unnecessary anxiety. They are easygoing and optimistic that whatever needs to get done will get done, eventually.
    5. I'm okay. They are not overawed by authority. They accept themselves and their approach to life.
    6. Wheel of fortune. Leisurely people believe that they are just as good as everyone else and as entitled to the best things in life. They maintain that blind luck often accounts for who fares well and who fares poorly.
    7. Mixed feelings. Although they feel impelled to proceed in their own direction, when their choices put them in conflict with the people they care for, Leisurely people are often of two minds about how to proceed. They do not like to risk important relationships, yet they need to feel free.

and interests:
    - playing by the rules
    - fulfilling your responsibilities and obligations
    - letting no one deprive you of your personal pursuit of happiness
    - finding your happiness through creative pursuits
    - being guaranteed the opportunity to enjoy yourself
    - defending your right to do your "own thing"

The No Likes Experiment.

Likes ESFJ, senza tema liked this post

I forgot, I'm Sensitive- Mercurial- Serious

The No Likes Experiment.

Likes senza tema liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Solitary = Serious > Self-Sacrificing.

The Solitary type works the best for me. The Self-Sacrificing type doesn't sound like a very good thing to be, but I'm biased by my direction of disintegration.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

I'm definitely a blend of Dramatic or Mercurial. Not sure which one is dominant. Dramatic seems a little too flamboyant at times, while Mercurial a little too committed. Dramatic probably wins out though.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

who are

@Kas - I am likely ISTJ and for the descriptions it gave me...

1. Sensitive
    2. Solitary
    3. Serious

However, in the graph, it shows that I scored far higher in serious than solitary, so I'm not sure what's up with that. The graph says...

1. Sensitive
    2. Serious
    3. Solitary
    4. Vigilant
    Likes Legion liked this post