• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Oldham's Personality Styles (correlation with MBTI)

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not that it says you are insensitive, it's more like you're (due to test) not prone of being avoidant. Have you read the descriptions of the styles, which sounds most like you?[/QUOTE]

:smile:Yes I'm a vigilant so I've read them all !

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
Just took this for the heck of it:

Solitary > Sensitive = Serious

Sounds pretty right, actually.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't care for Oldham's category names very much. Instead of "dramatic personality type" I would just say "histrionic personality."

But the good thing about it is that he preserves the original personality disorders, whereas the APA has caved into feminists and eliminated some or lumped them into a single category.

Verona

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Sensitive, Conscientious and Devoted

MyCupOfTea

MBTI Type
INxP
Leisurely > Idiosyncratic > Sensitive = Serious = Solitary

Quite telling of me at the moment. I'm living very introspective phase right now.

Esterred

MBTI Type
IN*J
Enneagram
4w5
Idiosyncratic > Sensitive > Conscientious > Leisurely/Solitary

The description seems to fit.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Again, for the hell of it.

Dramatic, Conscientious, Self-Sacrificing. All too close to call.

Tater

Vigilant types have a resilient independence. They keep their own counsel, need no outside reassurance or advice, make decisions easily, and can take care of themselves. Feisty individuals, they do not hesitate to stand up for themselves, especially when under attack. They take criticism very seriously but are not intimidated. They are keen observers of others and their surroundings and are quick to criticize what they see. They recognize when something is not right and can detect double messages and mixed motives. They are suited to city life (and to research, law, law enforcement, editing, and journalism), where hyper-alertness and questioning others' intentions is important. They prepare themselves for the worst, which may make them appear suspicious, but as a result, they are difficult to intimidate or fool. They are tough, independent survivors, often serving important roles as protectors and champions of the underdog and of causes in general.

In their personal relationships, they are slow to warm up and trust others, but once they do, they are devoted, loyal, and protective. Caution and reserve mark their work relationships as well. They need to feel independent and autonomous in all areas of their life. They often match well with partners or subordinates who are comfortable with dependence and who let them be in charge. Loss of control can cause them extreme stress. They have a tendency to blame others for what goes wrong, rather than accept that sometimes no one is at fault. They are survivors, though, and their resilient autonomy usually sees them through the rough spots.

Adventurous types live by their own values. They are not strongly influenced by others or the norms of society. They love the thrill of risk and routinely engage in high-risk activities. They don't worry very much about others--they expect everyone to be responsible for him- or herself. They are silver-tongued, gifted in the art of winning friends and influencing people. In their childhood and adolescence, Adventurers usually have been high-spirited hell-raisers and mischief-makers. They remain courageous, bold, and tough, and will stand up to anyone who dares take advantage of them.

Adventurous people live in the present and are governed by feelings, not logic. They need thrilling challenges the way most people need food and shelter. Their thrills may come from sports, their careers, their sex lives, the stock market, or the gambling tables. A little of this personality style goes a long way towards building a meaningful, interesting life. A predominance of this style can be a problem, because these individuals may not sufficiently calculate their risks.

A 9-to-5 job can be hard on Adventurous people. However, when their jobs are exciting and highly stimulating, they give a high-quality performance. They appreciate newness and are not loath to undertake a difficult or dangerous project, but dislike routine jobs. They love to keep moving and have an urge to explore. They do not worry about finding work and live well by their talents, skills, and ingenuity.

While they are not motivated toward settling down with one person, they are drawn to people like themselves who like action and excitement and who are highly sexual. They don't tolerate relationships well when the newness fades. They operate best in relationships with partners who are independent and who do not begrudge them their freedom.

Adventurers live in the present. They do not feel guilty about the past or anxious about the future. As they grow older, they may become depressed that they can no longer keep up with younger people or that younger people are no longer attracted to them. Learning to think about the future and considering where they will be in five, ten, or fifteen years can help them prevent this letdown.

Dramatic types live in an emotional world. They are sensation-oriented, emotionally demonstrative, and physically affectionate. They react emotionally to events and can shift moods quickly. They're 'heart' people rather than 'head' people. They overflow with feeling and zest. They are spontaneous and love excitement, attention, applause, and emotion. They experience life vividly and expansively and have rich imaginations and entertaining stories to tell.

Highly social, they are often happiest when the atmosphere is highly charged and all eyes are on them. They pay close attention to grooming and enjoy clothes, style, and fashion. Dramatic people energize and charm others. Many have profound intuition about other people's feelings. Because they are other-directed, their self-esteem may balance on how other people respond to them.

Dramatic individuals enjoy their sexuality. They are seductive, engaging, and charming. Easily putting their trust in others and characteristically suggestible, they are able to become quickly involved in relationships. They demand a lot of energy from their partners and from subordinates at work. They have a low tolerance for boredom, which can lead to difficulties settling into a relationship or into jobs that do not present continual stimulation.

Life with Dramatic people can be stormy, considering their strong and immediate emotional reactions. Nonetheless, they frequently are attracted to dry, stable Conscientious types who provide necessary balance to their lives (and to whose lives they can bring some excitement). Conscientious partners will need to learn how to compliment and to say, 'I love you,' since Dramatic people lose confidence when they don't receive feedback.

Trouble in a relationship is a major blow to self-esteem, as is being without a partner or lover. To cope with stress and anxiety, Dramatic types like to look on the bright side, to repress the unpleasant and to sustain an optimistic outlook.

These are not detail people, but they are often highly creative, idea types, sometimes brilliant in their hunches. They can be good at persuading others to back their projects and often make strong managers. However, they do best at work and in their personal lives if they can find others who are better at the tedious follow-through.

this makes me sound more extraverted than i am, but ok.

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't care for Oldham's category names very much. Instead of "dramatic personality type" I would just say "histrionic personality."

But the good thing about it is that he preserves the original personality disorders, whereas the APA has caved into feminists and eliminated some or lumped them into a single category.

What are your Oldham personality styles?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What are your Oldham personality styles?

Sensitive, Solitary.

Oldham's book is better than the sketches of the descriptions found online. But the online test is identical to the one in the book.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Oldham's book is better than the sketches of the descriptions found online. But the online test is identical to the one in the book.

Yes, I agree. I don't like the dialogues from book (to schematic), but descriptions are very clear.

tchudak

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me: Idiosyncratic - Vigilant > Sensitive - Serious

1: Idiosyncratic, Vigilant: 17
2: Sensitive, Serious: 16
3: Aggressive 15
4: Solitary 14
5: Conscientious 13
6: Mercurial 11
7: Dramatic, Adventurous 10
8: Self-confident 9
9: Devoted 7
10: Self-sacrificing 6
11: Leisurely 2

darkzero

I was looking for correlation of Oldham and MBTI types. I’ve found some information, but my guesses are a little bit different and so I thought that I could make inside statistic in the forum. And see if we could notice correlation and is it significant.

What do you think?
I’m asking for a little help in here. I found old thread where people were writing what their types are, but it is chaotic, people wrote different amount of types and some of them only after reading short descriptions. I think Oldham's test is a good one ( this is the one exception, the test typed me better than I did it myself at the beginning)so I would ask you to do it – you can find it here unless you have read “The New Personality Self-Portrait†and you know that the test is wrong about you, then I would just trust your better judgment. Then write me the results as three main styles (in order) here or if you prefer in PM.

If I get enough data I promise to make statistics and we’ll see what the results we got :)

At the end I’ll give you the introduction ( I know everything in the wrong order)
Oldham is a psychiatrist who developed personality system for healthy people based on the neurotic categories of the psychiatrist's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (the DSM). Due to Oldham our personality is comprised of 14 various styles and each of them has influence on our behavior( depending on how much they are developed in the individual). What’s more one style affects another. 14 styles are:
1.Adventurous
2.Aggressive
3.Conscientious
4.Devoted
5.Dramatic
6.Indiosyncratic
7.Leisurely
8.Mercurial
9.Sef- Confident
10.Self- Sacrificing
11.Sensitive
12.Serious