• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Personality Type of Each of the 50 US States

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to a new survey, you are where you live. Truity, a personality and career assessment site, polled 12,000 individuals from all 50 states plus D.C. to see how respondents’ home states corresponded with key aspects of personality such as engaging with the world, getting along with others, and responding to stress.

Personality types of different US states - Business Insider

statepersonalities-972px-1.png

á´…eparted

passages
I knew there was a reason I fell in love with Montana. I fit in there a hell of a lot better than I expected too. I will get back to that state, someday. It's where my heart is.
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] can I get a woop-woop? :D

CDH15

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am having a hard time believing a lot of this typing. Many of the states could not be further from the truth. Mississippi and Oklahoma, two of the most conservative states, are included in the "open minds"? That just does not make much sense; I think they would fit more appropriately in the "Friendly Conservatives".
By the way, I'm from Kansas, which has an SJ culture, as opposed to the NT culture this article is trying to perpetuate all of the states listed under "The Critics" have.

á´…eparted

passages
I am having a hard time believing a lot of this typing. Many of the states could not be further from the truth. Mississippi and Oklahoma, two of the most conservative states, are included in the "open minds"? That just does not make much sense; I think they would fit more appropriately in the "Friendly Conservatives".
By the way, I'm from Kansas, which has an SJ culture, as opposed to the NT culture this article is trying to perpetuate all of the states listed under "The Critics" have.

Conservative does NOT equate to closed minded. That is a completely unfair stereotype. It's nothing more than a putdown people use to express disdain. It's not accurate.

CDH15

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp
Conservative does NOT equate to closed minded. That is a completely unfair stereotype. It's nothing more than a putdown people use to express disdain. It's not accurate.
I wasn't trying to say that conservatives are closed minds, I am just trying to state that this system has its flaws, like any system.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Haha...don't want to give away my state here, but it appears to suit me just fine!

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They have five clusters and around half the states ended up in one of them? They might have to reevaluate their clusters.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really disagree with a lot of these and have seen big 5 results for the states that contradicted these too :huh:

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Well, I'd say it's an over-simplification, but that there is pretty solid evidence that liberals tend to be higher in the Big Five trait "openness to experience" (correlates with MBTI iNtuition), while conservatives tend to be high in conscientiousness (correlates with MBTI Judging).

Still, a correlation doesn't predict whether any given conservative or liberal will score that way. Certainly other factors (like environment) play a role in whether an individual ends up being more conservative or liberal.

As far as the per-state Big Five ratings, here's another set of data that gives the average scores for each state.

á´…eparted

passages
Well, I'd say it's an over-simplification, but that there is pretty solid evidence that liberals tend to be higher in the Big Five trait "openness to experience" (correlates with MBTI iNtuition), while conservatives tend to be high in conscientiousness (correlates with MBTI Judging).

Still, a correlation doesn't predict whether any given conservative or liberal will score that way. Certainly other factors (like environment) play a role in whether an individual ends up being more conservative or liberal.

As far as the per-state Big Five ratings, here's another set of data that gives the average scores for each state.

My issue is with the demonization of a political side. Being closed minded is assumed to be a bad thing and is said in a bad light, where as open minded is seen as an absolute good. I actually quite like the statement "don't be so open minded that your brains fall out" because it balances out the over inflated good of being open minded. One should seek balance.

I actually don't like or agree with conservatives a lot of the time, but I can not stand the slinging and stereotypes others, usually the left, throw at them in a generalized way. It does no good.

Judge someone for their views[/], not a label.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], the best type I've seen for the US as a whole is ESTJ. It's likely that conservative philosophy would follow an SJ mindset by that measure. Plus the SJ habit of valuing tradition kind of falls within the conservative purview, unless your parties are wholly different to the UK ones. That's not to say that I agree that SJs are close minded. They are more prone to it but, as you know, I don't believe that type = person.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

Either that, or they're traditionalists, who prefer the old way. Either way, it [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] ly makes a difference.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Huh my state wasnt really broken down... a bit disappointed lol. A producer on the bottom part tho eh yeah I can see that

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, I agree with "The Critics" for Illinois and Pennsylvania.

Chrysanthea

If we're going by MBTI, my home state California is most definitely an ESFP. Texas seems ESFJ. I've only lived in those two states, so they're the only places where I'm familiar with the people enough to stereotype them.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think there are problems in categorizing larger states.

For example, most of Pennsylvania is concentrated in Philly and Pittsburgh, but there's a ton of real estate geographically in-between with very different values and politics, and it's silly to try to categorize a whole state by whatever the average happens to be since it's not really going to accurately describe the state. A smaller or more homogeneous state might be more effectively summarized.