User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Pro-Social Sociopathy

There have been a variety of discussions on sociopathy online which often define it based on negative social traits. This video is especially interesting because this individual did not display destructive behavioral traits, but discovered a genetic connection to sociopathy via brain imaging.

James Fallon, psychologist, pro-social sociopath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=I12H7khht7o

I've interacted with low-empathy individuals in my life both personally and professionally. In some cases these were individuals with Aspbergers, and in some cases they possessed attachment disorders. I'd like to approach this particular discussion with a thoughtful examination of these issues. It's best to avoid a childlike admiration of sociopathy, but also to not demonize it, since for some individuals it is not a choice, but a manner of being in their own human experience.

Have you encountered someone with these apparent issues? I'm mostly interested in an examination of the pro-social version of the sociopath. This is a person who lives their life in a constructive manner that contributes to society, but they function with extremely low-empathy which can affect their intimate relationships. It is quite a complex concept to approach from the standpoint of morality and to get your head around how to view such a person. How do you judge them? What are healthy expectations for their behavior? What do they need to internally moderate to be a part of society?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes Opal, Destiny liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    There have been a variety of discussions on sociopathy online which often define it based on negative social traits. This video is especially interesting because this individual did not display destructive behavioral traits, but discovered a genetic connection to sociopathy via brain imaging.

James Fallon, psychologist, pro-social sociopath
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=I12H7khht7o

I've interacted with low-empathy individuals in my life both personally and professionally. In some cases these were individuals with Aspbergers, and in some cases they possessed attachment disorders. I'd like to approach this particular discussion with a thoughtful examination of these issues. It's best to avoid a childlike admiration of sociopathy, but also to not demonize it, since for some individuals it is not a choice, but a manner of being in their own human experience.

Have you encountered someone with these apparent issues? I'm mostly interested in an examination of the pro-social version of the sociopath. This is a person who lives their life in a constructive manner that contributes to society, but they function with extremely low-empathy which can affect their intimate relationships. It is quite a complex concept to approach from the standpoint of morality and to get your head around how to view such a person. How do you judge them? What are healthy expectations for their behavior? What do they need to internally moderate to be a part of society?
    That's interesting. I think that a number of business leaders have these characteristics. I am not a super empathetic person but am shocked at just how uncaring and callous some individuals are about others. I listened to a guy at the airport a couple of months ago who was talking about laying off some of his staff and the way he was discussing the issue made me sick.

Here's a video mentioning results of some surveys that any profession where there is a power dynamic tends to attract people like this.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Within the context of a relationship, I'd say that I stop caring so much about understanding someone if they have little interest in understanding me. I think empathy is a two way street, really. I don't necessarily owe someone empathy. If someone is a drain on me, and I try really hard to understand them, and they put no effort to understand me, why exactly should my behavior continue?

I'm a little suspicious of people that brag about their empathy. Surely modesty counts for something, too.

I tend to think honesty is a more laudable trait than empathy. Usually, if I'm in a jam, that's what I need and value the most. I can tell when someone is making a white lie in the interest of making me feel better, and that just seems like someone is insulting my intelligence.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I'd like to approach this particular discussion with a thoughtful examination of these issues. It's best to avoid a childlike admiration of sociopathy, but also to not demonize it, since for some individuals it is not a choice, but a manner of being in their own human experience.

Is that a choice or a second nature ? For enneagramm, type 3 and 8 who are unhealthy can adopt sociopatic behaviours.

There is also a difference between antisocial and sociopath personalities.

Sociopaths know what they need to do and say to have power over you (they use charm as A WEAPON).

Their survival technic in that world we live in is MANIPULATION in many ways.

http://youtu.be/tp8v4PUIr7o
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

Senior Member RedAmazoneFriendZone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Within the context of a relationship, I'd say that I stop caring so much about understanding someone if they have little interest in understanding me. I think empathy is a two way street, really. I don't necessarily owe someone empathy. If someone is a drain on me, and I try really hard to understand them, and they put no effort to understand me, why exactly should my behavior continue?

I'm a little suspicious of people that brag about their empathy. Surely modesty counts for something, too.

I tend to think honesty is a more laudable trait than empathy. Usually, if I'm in a jam, that's what I need and value the most. I can tell when someone is making a white lie in the interest of making me feel better, and that just seems like someone is insulting my intelligence.

So my ex boss is a sociopath. Well for sure he was indeed narcissist.

In a relationship, if you respect yourself, know what you want, are intelligent or just sensitive,
    it is much more easy to make the sociopath go away. But he will be back several times for sure !
    The one who has met a sociopath will need some strength and a great personality to deal with him.
    My 1st advice would be : show yourself INSENSITIVE. And break off the relation as fast as you can !

It happened to me once. This man still sends me messages and so on, but he knows what I think of him.
    And he knows I don't want him to approach me.

This one is a type 3. He has no chance with me. Very bad actor ! And I'm not materialistic enough to enter his game.

For me too, honesty is more laudable than empathy. The last one can be fake to get something from you.
    Whatever you've got to preserve, share, or offer.
    ALL THAT WE SEE OR SEEM TO BE IS BUT A DREAM WITHIN A DREAM

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3

I think this isn't really an "I did it, and so can you" type of thing. Psychopaths are problematic because they can't (most of them can't) generally control their impulses, it's like being an alcoholic, only messing up a single time... that's game over. I think there is a place for them and we should provide that to them rather than lock them up forever, but I don't think you can train a psychopath to be pro-social if they don't naturally understand that they must be for their own benefit.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    .).)
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A Ni

I'm so sick of people glamorizing sociopathy and other dangerous defects. And by glamorizing I mean raising any questions about their potential for good. I mean why can't we just hate on sociopaths and leave it at that? . When did these depraved kinds become some misunderstood anti heroes to be admired?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend View Post
    I'm so sick of people glamorizing sociopathy and other dangerous defects. And by glamorizing I mean raising any questions about their potential for good. I mean why can't we just hate on sociopaths and leave it at that? . When did these depraved kinds become some misunderstood anti heroes to be admired?
    People with low intelligence quotients disgust me. It doesn't matter how good their intentions are if they're imbeciles; they're still going to fuck things up. Why do we feel the need to include them in society?
    Likes Nicodemus liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    .).)
    Enneagram
    N/A
    Socionics
    N/A Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Opalescence View Post
    People with low intelligence quotients disgust me. It doesn't matter how good their intentions are if they're imbeciles; they're still going to fuck things up. Why do we feel the need to include them in society?
    Because typically they are any combination of funnier, better rappers, faster, stronger, or lower maintenance than those without low IQs.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fiend View Post
    Because typically they are any combination of funnier, better rappers, faster, stronger, or lower maintenance than those without low IQs.
    I like you.