that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Just a personal anecdote, I am close with someone with Asperger's, and he certainly has low empathy. But he is also conscientious, affable, sociable, and protective. It's just that he doesn't process the way others do. He doesn't automatically put himself in someone else's shoes and feel the feelings they might feel. He does understand from an intellectual standpoint why negative events impact a person painfully, and he can be walked through empathy by explaining to him how it feels to be in your shoes. Funny enough, he actually ends up being more helpful and dependable than many people with higher empathy because he follows a more rigid internal construct. We have discussed "alignment" and he believes himself to be lawful neutral, if that can give you an idea of how he processes. Personally I find him more trustworthy and a better person than a lot of others out there. So in terms of moderation and being part of society, I think he has it down. He actually works with behavioral problem kids himself.

It has really impacted my own morality because prior to interacting with him I had a very clear idea of good as being altruistic, but he facilitates personal development in other people by being himself and doing his thing and ensuring that others have the freedom to do that as well. It reminds me very much of House from the TV show - arguably a morally good character because he saves a huge number of lives, but on a personal level he's not really doing it to help them, but because he finds it intriguing. Ultimately I feel like as long as we have clear, explicit laws in place that forbid and punish behavior that limits others' right and ability to live and self actualize, people with low empathy will be able to function in society, and hopefully science can increasingly help attend to people with such strong versions of the disorders that they tend towards destructive behavior.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Just a personal anecdote, I am close with someone with Asperger's, and he certainly has low empathy. But he is also conscientious, affable, sociable, and protective. It's just that he doesn't process the way others do. He doesn't automatically put himself in someone else's shoes and feel the feelings they might feel. He does understand from an intellectual standpoint why negative events impact a person painfully, and he can be walked through empathy by explaining to him how it feels to be in your shoes. Funny enough, he actually ends up being more helpful and dependable than many people with higher empathy because he follows a more rigid internal construct. We have discussed "alignment" and he believes himself to be lawful neutral, if that can give you an idea of how he processes. Personally I find him more trustworthy and a better person than a lot of others out there. So in terms of moderation and being part of society, I think he has it down. He actually works with behavioral problem kids himself.

It has really impacted my own morality because prior to interacting with him I had a very clear idea of good as being altruistic, but he facilitates personal development in other people by being himself and doing his thing and ensuring that others have the freedom to do that as well. It reminds me very much of House from the TV show - arguably a morally good character because he saves a huge number of lives, but on a personal level he's not really doing it to help them, but because he finds it intriguing. Ultimately I feel like as long as we have clear, explicit laws in place that forbid and punish behavior that limits others' right and ability to live and self actualize, people with low empathy will be able to function in society, and hopefully science can increasingly help attend to people with such strong versions of the disorders that they tend towards destructive behavior.
    you do know my post was refering to people who are malicious? this person i'd be friends with and I relate to having to go from an intellectual standpoint to understand why people are the way they are.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    you do know my post was refering to people who are malicious? this person i'd be friends with and I relate to having to go from an intellectual standpoint to understand why people are the way they are.
    Oh, I wasn't responding to your post at all, no offense. I was just responding to the OP. I think looking at the people on the low end of the spectrum who are able to function well in society is an important key to helping those people on the high-end of the spectrum.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Oh, I wasn't responding to your post at all, no offense. I was just responding to the OP. I think looking at the people on the low end of the spectrum who are able to function well in society is an important key to helping those people on the high-end of the spectrum.
    I wasn't offended, I was clarifying just incase
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The link in the OP brings up the question whether sociopathy is a neurological hard-wiring or a set of external behaviors.

This question of low-apathy neurology is an issue a bit complex for a chat, but something we all encounter. There are complex intertwining of Aspergers, attachment disorders, and atypical neurologies. I've known people diagnosed with Aspbergers who could also have sociopathy because of their levels of manipulation. For the individuals I've known who are strikingly neuro-atypical, they form deep attachments to dogs and do possess some sort of empathy, but they don't form that same connection to other people. I've gotten along peaceful with some for at least a period of time, but have also experienced damaging effects psychologically, so it's a topic of interest to me.

It brings to mind questions about what is empathy? How does it relate to the fundamental concepts of "self" and "other"? Is the empathy for the dog an extension of the self? Is all empathy this? Can such individuals mistake narcissism for empathy because both conditions minimize the boundary between self and other, and both mindsets experience whatever is encountered as part of the "self". For the narcissist, the pain of others can be internalized as inside the self, but they do this at the expense of the other person. They will then use resources to make sure that pain inside self is nurtured even if this is at the expense of the other individual who is actually experiencing the pain. The empathic person may experience the pain of others as their own, but they will sacrifice self to heal the pain in the other because they experience it on the other person's terms and not on their own.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)