• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Predictive Index Survey?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone heard of this? I had to take this at work. Haven't gotten the results yet.

http://www.piworldwide.com/solutions/predictive-index-system/

As a side note, my superiors that I work for took the MBTI test and my immediate supervisor came out ENTJ, and the supervisor above her who I also work with came out ESTJ. Lucky me??? :overreact:

No, I'm kidding, they've been great and we work well with together.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No I haven't heard of it. I don't like idea of giving people tests as part of the hiring/recruiting process. It seems like a dumb idea. The idea of predicting someone's performance and determining how to coach them based on a test, after they have been hired, sounds even dumber.

I guess I said the words "dumb" and "idea" several times didn't I.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No I haven't heard of it. I don't like idea of giving people tests as part of the hiring/recruiting process. It seems like a dumb idea. The idea of predicting someone's performance and determining how to coach them based on a test, after they have been hired, sounds even dumber.

I also think it's a dumb idea. Now I said "dumb" too.

swaterhouse

MBTI Type
entp
We use the Predictive Index assessment with our clients. It is often used for hiring since it has the ability to predict people who will and joy and do well in a particular job. No assessment should be used alone to make the hiring decision since there is much more to know about a person. You can learn how companies are using PI at our website. http://www.predictiveresults.com. There are some interesting case studies to read.

Chthonic

And yet, there is always the exception to the rule, that one person not typically suited to a job that aces it. The trouble with predictive testing like this is that you will eliminate the outstanding in the process. Gataca anyone?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I forgot to come back and update this. I got ESFP. Ugh, I keep getting that when I take tests. My ESTJ boss got excited, but I told him it was wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Percentage breakdown of your results:

Extraverted (E) 50%

Introverted (I) 50%

Sensing (S) 86%

Intuitive (N) 14%

Feeling (F) 85%

Thinking (T) 15%

Perceiving (P) 55%

Judging (J) 45%

ESFP – Performers and Entertainers

Career relevant traits:
• Excited and stimulated by new experiences.
• Know how to have a good time, and how to make things fun for others
• Independent, practical and resourceful
• Spontaneous seldom plan ahead
• Strongly dislike routine and structure
• Feel a close bond with animals and children
• Highly developed aesthetic appreciation for things
• Excellent people skills

You have very strong inter-personal skills, and may find yourself often in the role of the peacemaker. Generous and warm, and with your personal values, you are probably very sympathetic and concerned for other other´s well being. You are very observant about other people, and seem to sense what is wrong with someone before others might, responding warmly with a solution to a practical need. Perhaps you may not always give the best advice, because you don’t like theory and future-planning, but you are great for giving practical care.
As an ESFP, you are good at many things, but will not be happy unless you have a lot of contact with people and many new experiences. You should choose careers which provide you with the opportunity to use your great people skills and practical perspective, which provides you with enough new challenges so you are not bored.
As an ESFP you are a great team player. You are not likely to create any problems or fuss, and are likely to create the most fun environment possible for completing any job. You will do best in careers in which you are able to use your excellent people skills, along with your abilities to meld ideas into structured formats. Being a fast-paced individual who likes new experiences, you should select careers which offer or need a lot of diversity, as well as people skills.

Possible Career Paths for the ESFP:
• Artists, Performers and Actors
• Sales Representatives
• Counselors / Social Work
• Child Care
• Fashion Designers
• Interior Decorators
• Consultants
• Photographers
• Human resources managers
• Clerical supervisors
• Factory supervisors
• Receptionists
• Recreation workers
• Fitness trainer
• Food service worker

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I forgot to come back and update this. I got ESFP. Ugh, I keep getting that when I take tests. My ESTJ boss got excited, but I told him it was wrong.
Well it looks like you're evenly split on E/I and pretty balanced on P/J. But I guess we knew that already. :shrug:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I applied for another job and was sent a link to take this survey pretty quickly. It looks employers really do use this.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I would have to be pretty desperate to take a job with a company that relied upon this influencing their decisions. But if there are many who do, it could be inevitable.

ginniebean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I just see cherry picking for types and it gives me the creeps.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The INFP genocide has begun...

:newwink:

Really though, this strikes me as unethical in many, many ways.

Sort of related...

There is a commonly used personality test for retail jobs that has been around quite a few years now. I was reading about it (and I'll probably remember this all wrong, honestly) and it seems the goal is to reduce turnover rate, which adds to expense when you have to constantly be training new hires. The test supposedly is helping to achieve this goal, but my personal observation is that retail customer service has gone down. The test is really aiming for people who have low ambition, are very compliant, and who like task work. So you end up with a lot of stupid, unreasonable people who frustrate customers when they need answers, solutions, and someone to make a quick decision.

You'd expect such people to be friendly, but they even fail there. The increasing rudeness of retail workers aggravates me. I'm a very shy, aloof person and even I managed to smile and give friendly service when I worked as a cashier in college. Perhaps having no goal past their minimum wage retail job is what makes them so cranky, because the test seems to aim for upbeat extroverts.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

How is this different in spirit from the "True Colors" personality profiles which were all the rage in certain circles in corporate America 12-15 years ago?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How is this different in spirit from the "True Colors" personality profiles which were all the rage in certain circles in corporate America 12-15 years ago?

Never heard of that. Cindy Lauper?

http://www.testq.com/career

Black
Truecolorblack_max200w
Your color is black. The color of night. Serene and mysterious, black conjures up images of elegant evening gowns, dashing tuxedos, and gleaming limousines. Traditionally a symbol of success, black also represents power and an uncompromising demand for perfection. Not surprisingly, you tend to set challenging goals for yourself and do whatever it takes to achieve them — your strength of character is second to none. This unfaltering determination, along with your natural elegance, impresses people. But keep in mind that your personality might be intimidating to some. Try to temper your demanding side with a little softness — trust us, it won't kill you. Overall, though, black is the color of professionalism and achievement, which means it's clearly the color for you.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Never heard of that. Cindy Lauper?

http://www.testq.com/career

Black
Truecolorblack_max200w
Your color is black. The color of night. Serene and mysterious, black conjures up images of elegant evening gowns, dashing tuxedos, and gleaming limousines. Traditionally a symbol of success, black also represents power and an uncompromising demand for perfection. Not surprisingly, you tend to set challenging goals for yourself and do whatever it takes to achieve them — your strength of character is second to none. This unfaltering determination, along with your natural elegance, impresses people. But keep in mind that your personality might be intimidating to some. Try to temper your demanding side with a little softness — trust us, it won't kill you. Overall, though, black is the color of professionalism and achievement, which means it's clearly the color for you.

Not the one I was thinking of, unless they've changed it since my time (back in the days of the trilobite...)

Orange: adventurous, risk-taking, seeks novelty.
Blue: touchy-feeling, classic INFP
Yellow: Staid, unexcitable, always prepared, always by the book (Jack Webb from Dragnet; ISJF-like)
Green: Spock or Sheldon from big bang. Logic and thinking.

More advanced versions didn't only have the relative proportions of your "true colors" but also looked at how you react under stress, or how you wish others to perceive you...

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Sort of related...

There is a commonly used personality test for retail jobs that has been around quite a few years now. I was reading about it (and I'll probably remember this all wrong, honestly) and it seems the goal is to reduce turnover rate, which adds to expense when you have to constantly be training new hires. The test supposedly is helping to achieve this goal, but my personal observation is that retail customer service has gone down. The test is really aiming for people who have low ambition, are very compliant, and who like task work. So you end up with a lot of stupid, unreasonable people who frustrate customers when they need answers, solutions, and someone to make a quick decision.
That sounds just like Idiocracy. :fpalm:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think the idea of these tests is flawed, because in my experience people tend to express different sides of their personality according to their external environment.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Screw that. If you as a manager can't take time out of your busy schedule to sit down and get a real bead on your job candidates, you ought to get your ass demoted.

And as a candidate, if I'm faced with one of these, I'd either get disgusted by the fact that I'd be working the sort of manager who would use this assessment, or I'd rig the test to give the most suitable answers.

though I'd still be interested in your or anyone else's results, [MENTION=4398]Giggly[/MENTION]. I'm still a sucker for these things.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I just had a one hour (!) phone interview with one these employers that gave me the test above and for the entire hour all they did was ask me questions about my personality.