User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    The INFP genocide has begun...



    Really though, this strikes me as unethical in many, many ways.


    Sort of related...

    There is a commonly used personality test for retail jobs that has been around quite a few years now. I was reading about it (and I'll probably remember this all wrong, honestly) and it seems the goal is to reduce turnover rate, which adds to expense when you have to constantly be training new hires. The test supposedly is helping to achieve this goal, but my personal observation is that retail customer service has gone down. The test is really aiming for people who have low ambition, are very compliant, and who like task work. So you end up with a lot of stupid, unreasonable people who frustrate customers when they need answers, solutions, and someone to make a quick decision.

    You'd expect such people to be friendly, but they even fail there. The increasing rudeness of retail workers aggravates me. I'm a very shy, aloof person and even I managed to smile and give friendly service when I worked as a cashier in college. Perhaps having no goal past their minimum wage retail job is what makes them so cranky, because the test seems to aim for upbeat extroverts.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes PocketFullOf liked this post

  2. #12
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    I read thread title as "The Predictive Sex Index".
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  3. #13
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    No I haven't heard of it. I don't like idea of giving people tests as part of the hiring/recruiting process. It seems like a dumb idea. The idea of predicting someone's performance and determining how to coach them based on a test, after they have been hired, sounds even dumber.

    I guess I said the words "dumb" and "idea" several times didn't I.
    How is this different in spirit from the "True Colors" personality profiles which were all the rage in certain circles in corporate America 12-15 years ago?
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

  4. #14
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    How is this different in spirit from the "True Colors" personality profiles which were all the rage in certain circles in corporate America 12-15 years ago?
    Never heard of that. Cindy Lauper?

    http://www.testq.com/career

    Black
    Truecolorblack_max200w
    Your color is black. The color of night. Serene and mysterious, black conjures up images of elegant evening gowns, dashing tuxedos, and gleaming limousines. Traditionally a symbol of success, black also represents power and an uncompromising demand for perfection. Not surprisingly, you tend to set challenging goals for yourself and do whatever it takes to achieve them — your strength of character is second to none. This unfaltering determination, along with your natural elegance, impresses people. But keep in mind that your personality might be intimidating to some. Try to temper your demanding side with a little softness — trust us, it won't kill you. Overall, though, black is the color of professionalism and achievement, which means it's clearly the color for you.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  5. #15
    The Typing Tabby grey_beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Never heard of that. Cindy Lauper?

    http://www.testq.com/career

    Black
    Truecolorblack_max200w
    Your color is black. The color of night. Serene and mysterious, black conjures up images of elegant evening gowns, dashing tuxedos, and gleaming limousines. Traditionally a symbol of success, black also represents power and an uncompromising demand for perfection. Not surprisingly, you tend to set challenging goals for yourself and do whatever it takes to achieve them — your strength of character is second to none. This unfaltering determination, along with your natural elegance, impresses people. But keep in mind that your personality might be intimidating to some. Try to temper your demanding side with a little softness — trust us, it won't kill you. Overall, though, black is the color of professionalism and achievement, which means it's clearly the color for you.
    Not the one I was thinking of, unless they've changed it since my time (back in the days of the trilobite...)

    Orange: adventurous, risk-taking, seeks novelty.
    Blue: touchy-feeling, classic INFP
    Yellow: Staid, unexcitable, always prepared, always by the book (Jack Webb from Dragnet; ISJF-like)
    Green: Spock or Sheldon from big bang. Logic and thinking.

    More advanced versions didn't only have the relative proportions of your "true colors" but also looked at how you react under stress, or how you wish others to perceive you...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

    Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.

  6. #16
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Sort of related...

    There is a commonly used personality test for retail jobs that has been around quite a few years now. I was reading about it (and I'll probably remember this all wrong, honestly) and it seems the goal is to reduce turnover rate, which adds to expense when you have to constantly be training new hires. The test supposedly is helping to achieve this goal, but my personal observation is that retail customer service has gone down. The test is really aiming for people who have low ambition, are very compliant, and who like task work. So you end up with a lot of stupid, unreasonable people who frustrate customers when they need answers, solutions, and someone to make a quick decision.
    That sounds just like Idiocracy.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  7. #17
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I think the idea of these tests is flawed, because in my experience people tend to express different sides of their personality according to their external environment.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  8. #18
    Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni
    Posts
    4,189

    Default

    Screw that. If you as a manager can't take time out of your busy schedule to sit down and get a real bead on your job candidates, you ought to get your ass demoted.

    And as a candidate, if I'm faced with one of these, I'd either get disgusted by the fact that I'd be working the sort of manager who would use this assessment, or I'd rig the test to give the most suitable answers.

    though I'd still be interested in your or anyone else's results, @Giggly. I'm still a sucker for these things.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

    "Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

  9. #19
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I just had a one hour (!) phone interview with one these employers that gave me the test above and for the entire hour all they did was ask me questions about my personality.

Similar Threads

  1. Predict the death of the poster above you
    By foolish heart in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1110
    Last Post: 11-13-2017, 12:41 AM
  2. The Perceptions of Happiness in Relationships Survey
    By disregard in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2010, 06:39 AM
  3. What you've learned of the job satisfaction survey*
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
  4. Annoyance over seeing own username on the Index page
    By Qre:us in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
  5. Your Predictions About the Future of Psychotherapy
    By ThatsWhatHeSaid in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO