User Tag List

First 12345 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    ^The ENTIRE point is to reveal the associations you DON'T know you have.
    The science is sound but you don't have to accept the conclusions, up to you.
    Thanks for giving me the option there (?). I don't think the test is sound, so I don't accept it's conclusions.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Perhaps you'd like to explain what's wrong with it then. (Other than that you don't like what it's telling you.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Perhaps you'd like to explain what's wrong with it then. (Other than that you don't like what it's telling you.)
    I already did that. Why don'y you tell me what this reveals that is of profound significance to your understanding of human nature? You seem sold on it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    I already did that.
    I disagree. You'd have to demonstrate that there is something flawed about the methodology, the execution or the conclusions.
    You haven't done any of that. You're just being kinda petulant and annoying - classic defensive posturing.
    Why don'y you tell me what this reveals that is of profound significance to your understanding of human nature? You seem sold on it.
    I think it's interesting. I've given a couple of examples. For more read the site, books or other published articles. I've no interest in spoon-feeding people.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I disagree. You'd have to demonstrate that there is something flawed about the methodology, the execution or the conclusions.
    You haven't done any of that. You're just being kinda petulant and annoying - classic defensive posturing.
    I think it's interesting. I've given a couple of examples. For more read the site, books or other published articles. I've no interest in spoon-feeding people.
    It seemed more like a test of one's adaptibility to the test itself. When they reversed sides, I found that confusing, but I was suppossed to still go as fast as possible, so some of my answers had as much to do with the fact that I had not fully made that switch. it would have been better to have a seperate activity between the first and switched sections to reduce this. I have numb hands and fingers, and my reaction time is slow, but this possibility was not taken into account by the testers. So there a flaw.
    Also, I don't know how this reveals anything useful about the test taker. It claims to reveal hidden bias, and insofar as it may make a person examine their deeply held beliefs, that's a good thing. the fact is that we all have these deeply held beliefs, and changing them is always a matter of self examination. But this test attempts to reveal bias as an abstraction, without any context before or after, so I don't find it's conclusions to be of any direct use.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I've taken one test: the Presidential Popularity IAT (demonstration test, not research test).

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Barack Obama compared to Recent Presidents.
    I get what it's doing, and I found the testing process interesting (it would seem to cancel out a lot of the "noise", thereby leading to accurate results), but I'm not quite sure what to think about the results.

What and how much exactly does my clicking on Obama's face when it is linked with "Good" faster than my clicking on Recent Presidents' faces when they're linked with "Good" tell me about my opinions, thoughts, feelings, and disposition towards Barack Obama?

My thoughts on Obama are complex -- there's things I do like and there's things I don't -- and they certainly couldn't be wrapped up in one figure and quantified...

So, what does this result mean?

My current estimation is that it roughly represents a degree of positivity or negativity I would feel towards Obama, relative to the feeling of positivity or negativity I would feel towards a composite or group of the recent Presidents it displayed (Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon).

Is that what it's measuring?

A certain degree of positivity or negativity?

And, if so, what is that really?

Is it something more basic than one's thoughts/opinions (intentionally excluding feelings), or is it the totality of one's thoughts/opinions/feelings?

Is it what we might call a "general disposition towards"?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^General disposition? I don't think so. What it is supposed to reveal are your real associations - irrespective of your intentions. We absorb such associations from our environment without conscious effort.
    It is only with conscious effort that we can undermine the irrational ones which form the basis of stereotypes. Our unconscious mind does not discriminate or filter based on rational criteria - it just says "X and Y seem to always go together so they get filed in the same schema". Eg. "Women" and "home", "men" and "work", "blacks" and "guns".
    If it takes longer for you to match "whites" and "guns" than it does "blacks" - it's indicative that you are having to work harder to bypass your mental schema - or internal representation of the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    It seemed more like a test of one's adaptibility to the test itself. When they reversed sides, I found that confusing, but I was suppossed to still go as fast as possible, so some of my answers had as much to do with the fact that I had not fully made that switch. it would have been better to have a seperate activity between the first and switched sections to reduce this. I have numb hands and fingers, and my reaction time is slow, but this possibility was not taken into account by the testers. So there a flaw.
    Also, I don't know how this reveals anything useful about the test taker. It claims to reveal hidden bias, and insofar as it may make a person examine their deeply held beliefs, that's a good thing. the fact is that we all have these deeply held beliefs, and changing them is always a matter of self examination. But this test attempts to reveal bias as an abstraction, without any context before or after, so I don't find it's conclusions to be of any direct use.
    I'm not really sure what you mean about reversing sides, but I agree - fatigue could well prejudice the results.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I got a bit of an odd test; initially it seemed very much to do with how quick you were in terms of speed/accuracy of making a really fast judgment - measured in milliseconds, no less. eek!

Knowing that the point of it is that it's trying to tap into more unconscious processing, or testing for that and seeing if it was the case, I suppose it makes more sense. But initially, while doing it, as far as I was concerned I was totally ignoring all of the random-4-letter-words prior and was only focusing on the thing-to-be-judged itself. The 4-letter jibberish prior was meaningless as far as my performing what was requested of me. (Or... was it?... lol... that's what they're trying to measure) Personally I feel like there's a bit more tied to chance than actually measuring a specific type of learning - or at the very least, more weight might lie on motor-skills/reflexes, and 'mastering' the task, rather than learning itself occurring.

**TASK SPOILER BELOW** lol

In the first few rounds of the task that you completed, the string BMVZ always appeared before Male names, and the string GKQX always appeared before Female names.

Then, we tested whether in the rest of the task, you performed better when BMVZ appeared before Male names, and GKQX appeared before Female names, than when BMVZ appeared before Female names, and GKQX appeared before Male names. This is what we found:

14 correct responses (and on time) when the correct response after BMVZ was male
    13 correct responses (and on time) when the correct response after GKQX was female
    3 correct responses (and on time) when the correct response after GKQX was male
    8 correct responses (and on time) when the correct response after BMVZ was female

If learning happened, then you should show more correct responses when Male names appeared after BMVZ, and when Female names appeared after GKQX. Of course, it might also happened or not just because of chance. This is why we have many participants, and we will test whether, on average, this rapid learning paradigm works.

This type learning is a potentially important psychological phenomenon. It may help people learn how their environment works and adapt very quickly to any temporary regularity in their environment. If such learning exists, then it means that people can make split-second decisions based on what they learned only a few moments ago. This might be one of the mechanisms behind what is sometimes called intuition.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Young compared to Old.
    Your data suggest a slight association of Male with Science and Female with Liberal Arts compared to Female with Science and Male with Liberal Arts.
    Your data suggest little or no association between Black American and White American with Harmless Objects and Weapons.
    Your data suggest a moderate association of European American with American and Asian American with Foreign compared to Asian American with American and European American with Foreign.
    Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Straight People compared to Gay People.
    Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for Thin People compared to Fat People.
    Your data suggest a moderate preference for Not Smoking compared to Smoking.

I'm too tired to take any more.

Ginkgo

Good book. Thanks for posting this, salami.

I'll take the test once my computer decides not to be a dick. (Imposes subconscious prejudice on laptop)