• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Which Operating System Are You?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As we should. Apple is patronizing and Windows is the worst of all worlds.

Cold. So very cold. :cry:

636170157202245080-1956471158_9LpsF6Z.gif

Permabanned
"You are Slackware Linux. You are the brightest among your peers, but are often mistaken as insane. Your elegant solutions to problems often take a little longer, but require much less effort to complete (cuz of all that inane effort you put ib4)."

Story of mylyf

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Amiga OS

this thread reply was posted with an inline bash shell browser on debian ARM, I hate tests !

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
slackware.jpg

Haven't ever used this variety of Linux before. At the moment, I'm just using Windows 10, though I've considered installing Linux. I've done it before. Evidently, I'm in good company. :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got Windows XP.
I loved XP.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haven't ever used this variety of Linux before. At the moment, I'm just using Windows 10, though I've considered installing Linux. I've done it before. Evidently, I'm in good company. :)
You should go back to linux, especially if you have used it before and thus are familiar with it. I long ceased to see any benefit to windows, though unfortunately must use it at work.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You should go back to linux, especially if you have used it before and thus are familiar with it. I long ceased to see any benefit to windows, though unfortunately must use it at work.

Well, what are the benefits, other than the fact that it's less prone to viruses? I know I can tinker with it more, but from a practical standpoint what advantage would it provide?

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what are the benefits, other than the fact that it's less prone to viruses? I know I can tinker with it more, but from a practical standpoint what advantage would it provide?

Nothing, it's also prone to upgrade hassles. And in most situations it seems people find it easier to format and reinstall, which gives it another windows feel to it. lol :D

I just like that it gives me more tools for free to play with, but if one bothers to find out windows can do it too, limited but it can do most, unless you buy software that can do it/or use alternative free (sometimes non compliant) apps on it. I always find myself having to "break out" of the OS' way of doing things to moving automation to scripts that suites my needs of automation, so I can't say that Linux *is* the way to go.

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nothing, it's also prone to upgrade hassles. And in most situations it seems people find it easier to format and reinstall, which gives it another windows feel to it. lol :D

I just like that it gives me more tools for free to play with, but if one bothers to find out windows can do it too, limited but it can do most, unless you buy software that can do it/or use alternative free (sometimes non compliant) apps on it. I always find myself having to "break out" of the OS' way of doing things to moving automation to scripts that suites my needs of automation, so I can't say that Linux *is* the way to go.

That's interesting. Many people seem to like Linux for its ability to update all its software automatically without having to rely on said software doing it by themselves (or manually downloading updates).

Although that would make for a nice post: 'X Ways Linux is Better Than Windows'...

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Linux is less prone to viruses. In modern versions, one can tinker as much or as little as one wants, and it is generally as plug-and-play as Windows is - often moreso. Plus there is an enormous assortment of free software available for it, and it is naturally free of all the bloatware/adware that windows seems to ship with nowadays. I also don't like the way MS forces windows on people buying new computers. One should be able to purchase HW completely separately from SW. Then again, I built my last couple of computers, so nothing was installed by default.

Korvinagor

Cyber Strider
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If only Powershell was an OS :cheese:

The new(ish) terminal for Windows? For what reasons?

I mean, if you want a terminal operating system, look no further than Emacs (I'm kidding, I'm kidding...).

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
You are TRSDOS. Compatibility is always an issue with you. You feel the world has passed you by. Time has not treated you well.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Linux is less prone to viruses. In modern versions, one can tinker as much or as little as one wants, and it is generally as plug-and-play as Windows is - often moreso. Plus there is an enormous assortment of free software available for it, and it is naturally free of all the bloatware/adware that windows seems to ship with nowadays. I also don't like the way MS forces windows on people buying new computers. One should be able to purchase HW completely separately from SW. Then again, I built my last couple of computers, so nothing was installed by default.

Is there an equivalent to Cortana and touchscreen capability? Both are a little bit gimmicky, I suppose, but it impresses me nonetheless. The last time I used Linux was way before those kinds of things were at their existing levels of sophistication.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there an equivalent to Cortana and touchscreen capability? Both are a little bit gimmicky, I suppose, but it impresses me nonetheless. The last time I used Linux was way before those kinds of things were at their existing levels of sophistication.

I believe that is called the Android OS which runs on top of the Linux kernel, comes with Google services where you can speak to your heart's content and has touch screen. Or laptop alternative is Chrome OS or, there is x86 version of Android for PCs/Laptops too.