• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Blurter or Brooder?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
BLIRT Test

Who is right for you? How does the way you deal with your emotions influence your relationship satisfaction? This psychology test will give you information about yourself and also act as a guide to your relationships. This test, the Brief Loquaciousness and Interpersonal Responsiveness Test (hence b.l.i.r.t.), measures a personality characteristic that determines who you relate to most effectively.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blirter

Your answers indicate that you are a high blirter, which means that you have a tendency to express your thoughts as soon as they come to mind, become very engaged in conversations and interrupt those around you, and respond to people in conversations quickly. Because you're good at keeping conversations going, others see you as very sociable and likable. If you're not careful you may sometimes come across as brash. In general, you think well of yourself, partly because your willingness to express yourself allows you to get your needs met with little difficulty.

High

You scored relatively high on the criticalness scale. This means that you tend to perceive yourself as relatively high on the following dimensions: critical, judgmental, moody, controlling and dominant. You also rated yourself relatively low on these dimensions: patient, warmth, and tolerance.

Much of our research has examined this communication style and how it influences romantic relationships. Recent findings indicate that people are happiest in relationships when their blirt levels match. That is, whether it's 2 low blirters, 2 moderate blirters, or 2 high blirters, similarity in how intimate partners communicate with one another leads to heightened satisfaction. On the other hand, mismatches in blirtatiousness are associated with relatively low relationship satisfaction.

In addition, communication seems to unfold well if the man outscores the woman on the blirt by any amount. On the other hand, when the woman outscores the man on the blirt by any significant amount AND the woman scores in the "high" range on criticalness, then the members of the couple may experience challenges in communication that other couples do not. Of course, this finding is based on averages and there are always exceptions to such generalizations. Your relationship could be one such exception.

The questionnaires you have just completed are designed to extend these previous findings by examining why people with these communication styles experience difficulty. For example, we are wondering if men who are low blirters feel resentment toward blirtatious, critical women because such men feel that such women do not conform to the stereotypically feminine woman. Additionally, we hope to gain insight into how blirtatiousness interacts with other variables in determining relationship satisfaction. Your participation will help us to better understand these questions.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In-Between

Your answers indicate that you are moderate in blirtatiousness. Because you're neither too expressive nor reticent in the way you express yourself to others, people aren't drawn as much to how you are talking as much as they are to what you are saying. This is good considering that you are able to express your opinions and be assertive, but you don't have the problem of offending others by cutting off their words or appearing to put your needs in front of theirs. Although you are viewed as quite sociable, you also need moments to collect your thoughts at which times others view you as thoughtful.

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Your response type:

Brooder

Your responses indicate that you're low in blirtatiousness. Low scorers don't usually say the first thing that comes to mind; rather, they tend to hesitate and deliberate before responding to others. One reason you feel compelled to be careful in responding to others is because you are worried about being evaluated negatively. Often people low in blirtatiousness are shy and introverted and tend to dwell on thoughts internally instead of discussing them with others. Because low-blirters sometimes have difficulty saying how they feel, they may sometimes fail to get their needs met in relationships.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Brooder.

I'm not shy by any means. I just think carefully before I speak. It can be a disadvantage when I'm in a group setting. By the time I've put my thoughts into words, the conversation has moved on to a different topic. Argh.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Brief? This test? Uh...:unsure:
Right? What exactly was the point of those questions about how you'd describe yourself compared to others of your nationality? What does that have to do with anything?

93JC

Right? What exactly was the point of those questions about how you'd describe yourself compared to others of your nationality? What does that have to do with anything?

That was when i gave up. And then I scrolled down and saw the test going on and on and on and on... and then I GTFO of there. :)

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blirter

Your answers indicate that you are a high blirter, which means that you have a tendency to express your thoughts as soon as they come to mind, become very engaged in conversations and interrupt those around you, and respond to people in conversations quickly. Because you're good at keeping conversations going, others see you as very sociable and likable. If you're not careful you may sometimes come across as brash. In general, you think well of yourself, partly because your willingness to express yourself allows you to get your needs met with little difficulty.

High

You scored relatively high on the criticalness scale. This means that you tend to perceive yourself as relatively high on the following dimensions: critical, judgmental, moody, controlling and dominant. You also rated yourself relatively low on these dimensions: patient, warmth, and tolerance.

Much of our research has examined this communication style and how it influences romantic relationships. Recent findings indicate that people are happiest in relationships when their blirt levels match. That is, whether it's 2 low blirters, 2 moderate blirters, or 2 high blirters, similarity in how intimate partners communicate with one another leads to heightened satisfaction. On the other hand, mismatches in blirtatiousness are associated with relatively low relationship satisfaction.

In addition, communication seems to unfold well if the man outscores the woman on the blirt by any amount. On the other hand, when the woman outscores the man on the blirt by any significant amount AND the woman scores in the "high" range on criticalness, then the members of the couple may experience challenges in communication that other couples do not. Of course, this finding is based on averages and there are always exceptions to such generalizations. Your relationship could be one such exception.

The questionnaires you have just completed are designed to extend these previous findings by examining why people with these communication styles experience difficulty. For example, we are wondering if men who are low blirters feel resentment toward blirtatious, critical women because such men feel that such women do not conform to the stereotypically feminine woman. Additionally, we hope to gain insight into how blirtatiousness interacts with other variables in determining relationship satisfaction. Your participation will help us to better understand these questions.

Me too.

Ingrid in grids

Response type: In-Between
Your answers indicate that you are moderate in blirtatiousness. Because you're neither too expressive nor reticent in the way you express yourself to others, people aren't drawn as much to how you are talking as much as they are to what you are saying. This is good considering that you are able to express your opinions and be assertive, but you don't have the problem of offending others by cutting off their words or appearing to put your needs in front of theirs. Although you are viewed as quite sociable, you also need moments to collect your thoughts at which times others view you as thoughtful.

Self-criticalness: Low
You scored relatively low on the criticalness scale. This means that you tend to rate yourself relatively low on the following dimensions: critical, judgmental, moody, controlling and dominant. You also rated yourself as relatively high on these dimensions: patient, warmth, and tolerance.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
That was when i gave up. And then I scrolled down and saw the test going on and on and on and on... and then I GTFO of there. :)

I gave up when I saw it needed a post/zip code.

gromit

likes this

You scored in the moderate range on the criticalness scale. This means that you tend to rate yourself as neither high nor low on the following dimensions: critical, judgmental, moody, controlling, dominant, patient, warmth, and tolerance.
[MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION] I am starting to feel we are secretly twins, after getting the same results on so many meaningful internet quizzes.

gromit

likes this
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] I'm puzzled by the whole America aspect of this... are they just trying to get data for something else or what?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] I'm puzzled by the whole America aspect of this... are they just trying to get data for something else or what?

I think they are gathering stats for different countries and geographies. It's not an "america" aspect that I can see. It's a geographical aspect I think?

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Your response type:

Blirter

Your self-criticalness:

Moderate

You scored in the moderate range on the criticalness scale. This means that you tend to rate yourself as neither high nor low on the following dimensions: critical, judgmental, moody, controlling, dominant, patient, warmth, and tolerance.

Lark

I'm a high Blirter, no real surprise there, and a moderate criticalness, which is interesting, I tend to think of myself as more self critical than it turns out the quiz suggests.

á´…eparted

passages

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Your response type:

Brooder

Your responses indicate that you're low in blirtatiousness. Low scorers don't usually say the first thing that comes to mind; rather, they tend to hesitate and deliberate before responding to others. One reason you feel compelled to be careful in responding to others is because you are worried about being evaluated negatively. Often people low in blirtatiousness are shy and introverted and tend to dwell on thoughts internally instead of discussing them with others. Because low-blirters sometimes have difficulty saying how they feel, they may sometimes fail to get their needs met in relationships.

Your self-criticalness:

Moderate

I gave up when I saw it needed a post/zip code.

Just make one up. That's typically what I do when I take online tests. Usually it accepts it.

Probably just trying to get data. I personally don't feel an emotional attachment to America. I happen to be born here or live here. It doesn't mean I'm proud of my country or dislike my country. If someone insults my country it has no personal effect on me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Just make one up. That's typically what I do when I take online tests. Usually it accepts it.

I know, but I think it's one of those silly things...what are they called? A principle! That's it.