User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Socionics

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Default Socionics

Several members have mentioned socionics as a preferred instrument to the MBTI. I really know what the MBTI as a self-reporting instrument does/doesn't do so I'd like this thread to only discuss socionics.

The online version, both forward and reverse modes, typed me accurately, but I found the descriptions to be quite trivial and stereotypical. INFps are good at matching clothing and accessories? I touch people's hands while talking? The pieces on head/body shape hearkened right back to 19th century "science" about head shape and intelligence used to foster racism.

What are you seeing that is useful/accurate? And, given the vocabulary and time it would take someone without the typically high vocab level of MBTIc users, is it really a viable option? I doubt it works validly at the 8th grade reading level like the real MBTi...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you haven't taken their assessment, view it at

http://www.socionics.com/sta/sta-1-r.html?0:::

Take both the normal and reverse modes.
    edcoaching

That website is to be avoided. It is not representative of the theory of socionics on a whole. If you want real socionics, I suggest you go to wikisocion.
    "The mathematician's patterns, like the painter's or the poet's must be beautiful; the ideas like the colours or the words, must fit together in a harmonious way. Beauty is the first test: there is no permanent place in the world for ugly mathematics..." - G.H. Hardy

"Another roof, another proof." - Paul Erdős

INTJ (I = 100, N = 100, T = 88, J = 43)
    Solitary/Idiosyncratic, 5w6 sp/sx
    RL(x)EI (RlxE|I|)- Inquisitive Dominant
    Reserved Idealist
    ILI-Ni/INTp

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I've never thought the descriptions at socionics.com were more than vaguely interesting, but the intertype relations were very accurate.

Enneagram
    1w2

I prefer their description of Fe (extroverted ethics) over MBTI's.

Extroverted ethics is generally associated with the ability to recognize and convey (i.e. make others experience) passions, moods, and emotional states, generate excitement, liveliness, and feelings, get emotionally involved in activities and emotionally involve others, recognize and describe emotional interaction between people and groups, and build a sense of community and emotional unity.

The individual is keenly aware of emotions being displayed around him and responds to them immediately, without particularly thinking about it. Additionally, the individual easily grasps what drives people, how engaged they are in any particular activity and why. Excitement and passion contrast with boredom, jadedness, and disconnection...

He is intrigued by people who don't let all their attitudes and emotions out immediately when they feel them, they (usually introverted logicals) make him want to explore the person more deeply, through either emotional button-pushing or conversational inquiry.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I do really identify with the socionics description of ENTp, both at socionics.com and even more so at Wikisocion.

In many ways, I like the socionics theory better than MBTI, because each type has all eight cognitive functions (rather than just four) working in different ways.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I do really identify with the socionics description of ENTp, both at socionics.com and even more so at Wikisocion.

In many ways, I like the socionics theory better than MBTI, because each type has all eight cognitive functions (rather than just four) working in different ways.
    Thanks--I'll go look at Wikisocion.

There are tons of type resources by people who probably favor MBTI over other instruments to get at Jungian type that also acknowledge how each type uses all 8 functions. Personally I think beyond the first two they develop in different order based on experiences and training, etc., but some think it's a set order for each type...
    edcoaching

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by edcoaching View Post
    There are tons of type resources by people who probably favor MBTI over other instruments to get at Jungian type that also acknowledge how each type uses all 8 functions. Personally I think beyond the first two they develop in different order based on experiences and training, etc., but some think it's a set order for each type...
    Socionics puts more of Freud's ideas into the mix.

With an ENTp type, Ne and Ti are part of the Ego block. Next up is the Superego block. The ENTp has Se and Fi in their Superego block. Then comes the Superid block, where the ENTp uses Si and Fe. And finally, on the Id block, the ENTp uses Ni and Te.

But I do think the V.I. is pretty interesting and often very accurate. Most people associate this with socionics, but it exists among certain sects of MBTI practitioners. For example, a great number of us are able to tell an INFP simply by looking at their picture.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Socionics puts more of Freud's ideas into the mix.
    Now that's actually funny since Jung's ruminations on type began with his fallout with Freud.

I'll take a look at the VI stuff. One of my friend's study's (started more on a whim than on a research basis but done scientifically) showed more validity to handprint analysis for T-F than the MBTI--done only with type practitioners where there is no question re: their type...people like Isabel Myers' son...
    edcoaching

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

With an ENTp type, Ne and Ti are part of the Ego block. Next up is the Superego block. The ENTp has Se and Fi in their Superego block. Then comes the Superid block, where the ENTp uses Si and Fe. And finally, on the Id block, the ENTp uses Ni and Te.
    That sounds a lot like John Beebe's work where he ties each function to archetypes, the hero/warrior/orphan/trickster stuff.
    edcoaching