• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gamer Personality Test

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
HelloQuizzy.com: What Kind Of Gamer Are You?

I just found a passable fun test that tells you which type of games you probably enjoy most, plus it's comparable to MBTI.
The test itself is flawed but the descriptions are very interesting imho.

There are 8 Parameters:

TWITCH (resembles Extroversion)
You have a strong twitch reflex, which means that your muscles tend to move in very quick jerky movements. This makes you especially adept to action games, since they rely on that very same jerky motion and quick button pressing. You probably beat the pants off of others in minigames using the "tap A to run" mechanism, and you hold your own even in fighting games that you've never played because you can execute the moves very quickly. Unfortunately, you also have trouble with games that require precision movements like shooting games. Your thumbs are just too fast and that little analog stick is so sensitive! And games that require precise timings like the Mario Bros 3 extra life slider give you trouble as well.

or

FLUID (resembles Introversion)
You have very subtle, smooth movements. Your muscles stay relaxed, even in tense situations. This makes you ideal for games where you have to perform precise movements under pressure such as shooters and racing games. Your thumbs glide over the controller and you are probably one the better shots on your team in Call of Duty or even can do fairly well in a racing game you've never played because you don't make the car spin out of control. But you also don't do as well with games that require a faster touch. Most hardcore action games and fighting games will give you a hard time because the other players can input the moves a lot faster than you can. And you probably can't tap the button fast enough to blow up your balloon in Mario Party.

SIMPLE (resembles Sensing)
You remember the good old days, when Atari was cutting edge with a joystick and ONE BUTTON. This is not to say that you can't handle more complex controls and concepts, but you prefer that your games didn't require half a novel's worth of instructions. You do best when all the controls and options are right at your fingertips. You probably feel right at home with older games because they inherently have less to work with. Newer games either frustrate you with too many buttons and options, or they just annoy you because there are simpler ways to climb a ladder than jumping on, holding L, and then pushing forward.

or

COMPLEX (resembles Intuition)
The more the better is your motto. You want your games to be a nuanced and varied as you are. You don't mind shuffling through an extra menu or two or learning a couple more combos. If it will add depth to the game and give you more freedom, bring it on! You've probably debated on more than one occasion why can't Pokemon have more than four moves at a time. Or you've committed yourself to learning Zangeif's entire moveset, just to be that much better for the next match. You enjoy managing money, stats and equipment, making your team or army or city bigger, better, and badder. And you're always looking for a new way to complete a task. You also tend to lose interest or generally have trouble with simpler games, as you become frustrated or confused by the lack of things in your control.

PLANNING (resembles Judging)
When it comes to the actual act of playing, you're a no-frills flawless machine. It's a good thing that video game characters don't actually carry all the stuff in your inventory, because they'd probably suffocate underneath it all! You've got your armies all highly trained and equipped with rocket launchers and jeeps with gatling guns. You didn't even have to be in the same room as your PS2 to finish the final boss of Final Fantasy XII. You're prepared for anything because you've got it all figured out ahead of time. But even the best plans backfire sometimes and that's where your weakness shines through. You're so used to having enough healing potions that when you actually run out you're a sitting duck.

or

ACTING (resembles Perceiving)
In the virtual world, who needs a plan when you can just hit the reset button? You play things by ear, and when the shit hits the fan, you hit the bricks. You're the one who survives the zombie onslaught with only a knife. You're the one who captures the flag long after the rest of your team was killed. You're also the one who can never be relied upon. Because you're never really prepared, you could die during a crucial moment when everyone else has that extra healing potion left. Or during an important mission you fail because you forgot to get the security passcard to get in the base undetected. You play the biggest risk and you reap the results.

ENTERTAINMENT (resembles Feeling)
You play mostly for the fun of the game. Whether its the story, the gameplay, or just the overall feel of the game, something about it draws you in. You'll find yourself popping a game in years after you completed it to revisit the characters, locales, and gameplay. You probably own at least a few game soundtracks and maybe a few posters. You appreciate games as art and a way to pass the time. You may also play competitively (either professionally or amateur) but that's not the reason you'll be playing them 40 years from now.

or

DIFFICULTY (resembles Thinking)
You play mostly for the challenge. You thrive on the idea that you are defeating an enemy or piloting a jet. As the game presents new challenges, you knock them down and the ones you can't pass drive you to become a better player and overcome them. You probably have played tournaments before and you enjoy friendly competition. You probably one more than one strategy guide and maybe even are on a forum or part of a clan dedicated to your favorite game. You probably also love the art and music and design of video games but the only reason you might pop in GoldenEye is because some old pals come over and you all want to start up a deathmatch and see who's still got it.

In total you get 16 different types:

FCAD - Survivor
FCAE - Ace Pilot
FCPD - Puzzle Gamer
FCPE - Role Playing Gamer
FSPD - Stealth Gamer
FSAE - Shooter
FSAD - Shmup (Scrolling Shooter)
FSPE - Racer
TCAD - Fighter
TCAE - Rhythm Gamer
TCPD - Real-Time Strategist
TCPE - Action RPGer
TSAD - Action Gamer
TSAE - Minigamer
TSPD - Platformer
TSPE - Puzzle Adventurer

I actually play games not really for their gameplay, but for their story, design, etc. Gameplay is of course an important feature but I really hate games that only offer mindless action instead of depth and exploration options (à la CoD). That's why I'm still not really into games.
Over the years I've really enjoyed World of Warcraft, Dishonored, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Journey, The Last of Us (Both only as let's plays as I'm not owning a playstation), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Walking Dead (Telltale) & most recently the Bioshock series.

If I had to type those games:

World of Warcraft: FCPd (INtJ) (An ingame study actually found out that INTJs make up almost a quarter of players,
http://www.paragon.fi/blogs/personality-test-results-part-1)
Bioshock: TsAe (EsfP)
Dishonored: FxPd (IxtJ)
Journey: FSAE (ISFP)
The Last of Us: FSxe (ISfx)
The Walking Dead: FSPE (ISFJ)
Amnesia: FSPE (ISFJ)

An "x" means that a game possesses both elements at an equal amount.

None of these games resemble my type in terms of gameplay, still I highly enjoyed their engaging story and design, I'm really all about the "Entertainment" parameter. Maybe I see games rather as interactive dramas, a new form of storytelling, less as an enojoyable way to pass the time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
4 Twitch-Fluid, 5 Simple-Complex, 10 Planning-Acting and 11 Entertainment-Difficulty!

In stark contrast to the Action Gamer (TSAD) is the Role Player. FCPE's lack the reflexes or twitchy demeanor, but they excel in other areas. They handle complex menus, maps, and concepts very well, and they utilize them in extremely effective ways. Strategy is the name of the game for FCPE's. They're not looking for a quick fix of rapid violence, they prefer to exploit a weakness, find a key, or unlock a new path. For Role Players, the game itself is as enjoyable as actually playing it.

Games FCPE's like: Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy, Lost Odyssey, Pokémon

FLUID
You have very subtle, smooth movements. Your muscles stay relaxed, even in tense situations. This makes you ideal for games where you have to perform precise movements under pressure such as shooters and racing games. Your thumbs glide over the controller and you are probably one the better shots on your team in Call of Duty or even can do fairly well in a racing game you've never played because you don't make the car spin out of control. But you also don't do as well with games that require a faster touch. Most hardcore action games and fighting games will give you a hard time because the other players can input the moves a lot faster than you can. And you probably can't tap the button fast enough to blow up your balloon in Mario Party.

COMPLEX
The more the better is your motto. You want your games to be a nuanced and varied as you are. You don't mind shuffling through an extra menu or two or learning a couple more combos. If it will add depth to the game and give you more freedom, bring it on! You've probably debated on more than one occasion why can't Pokemon have more than four moves at a time. Or you've committed yourself to learning Zangeif's entire moveset, just to be that much better for the next match. You enjoy managing money, stats and equipment, making your team or army or city bigger, better, and badder. And you're always looking for a new way to complete a task. You also tend to lose interest or generally have trouble with simpler games, as you become frustrated or confused by the lack of things in your control.

PLANNING
When it comes to the actual act of playing, you're a no-frills flawless machine. It's a good thing that video game characters don't actually carry all the stuff in your inventory, because they'd probably suffocate underneath it all! You've got your armies all highly trained and equipped with rocket launchers and jeeps with gatling guns. You didn't even have to be in the same room as your PS2 to finish the final boss of Final Fantasy XII. You're prepared for anything because you've got it all figured out ahead of time. But even the best plans backfire sometimes and that's where your weakness shines through. You're so used to having enough healing potions that when you actually run out you're a sitting duck.

ENTERTAINMENT
You play mostly for the fun of the game. Whether its the story, the gameplay, or just the overall feel of the game, something about it draws you in. You'll find yourself popping a game in years after you completed it to revisit the characters, locales, and gameplay. You probably own at least a few game soundtracks and maybe a few posters. You appreciate games as art and a way to pass the time. You may also play competitively (either professionally or amateur) but that's not the reason you'll be playing them 40 years from now.

Permabanned
oh8ttsf

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8

2 Twitch-Fluid, 4 Simple-Complex, 8 Planning-Acting and 7 Entertainment-Difficulty!

Aside from the idea that I'd like games like world of warcraft, it's pretty much spot on. Just don't give me sixty three buttons to mash in time. Give me about 5 to develop skill with.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I got FSPE - Racer.

Not so sure that's true, though.

I haven't played many racing games, but I've liked them when I have. However, the results keep driving in the point that I will not like fighting games, when that's one of my favorite genres of game. There are occasional really dubious statements in there, like it says I'm probably a good shot, when in fact my aim in FPS is terrible :laugh:

EDIT: I just noticed that the fighter category was given to TCAD, the opposite of what I got. So I guess that explains it, but that gives me serious doubts about the measurement tool.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
[MENTION=16320]Stephano[/MENTION] - I strongly disagree with your MBTI correlations. IMO, none of these seem at all related to any of the dichotomies save for the planning vs. acting one.

At any rate, I got FCPE - roll playing gamer.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

4 Twitch-Fluid, 4 Simple-Complex, 9 Planning-Acting and 6 Entertainment-Difficulty!

I don't think it correlates to MBTI, or if it does the comparisons in the OP don't seem accurate to me. Why would SPs prefer Simple or like older games better than newer ones? My dad is an INTJ, and he prefers Action while I prefer Planning.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
3 Twitch-Fluid, 5 Simple-Complex, 8 Planning-Acting and 7 Entertainment-Difficulty!

In stark contrast to the Action Gamer (TSAD) is the Role Player. FCPE's lack the reflexes or twitchy demeanor, but they excel in other areas. They handle complex menus, maps, and concepts very well, and they utilize them in extremely effective ways. Strategy is the name of the game for FCPE's. They're not looking for a quick fix of rapid violence, they prefer to exploit a weakness, find a key, or unlock a new path. For Role Players, the game itself is as enjoyable as actually playing it.

I'm not bad at faster games, and I was pretty good at the Need for Speed driving series, with fast reflexes -- but that involved broader movements in the game, not really fast constant button pushing.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I didn't plan to argue about my opinions but I knew I would end up doing it anyways.

There wasn't any correlation between test results and type so far (not even in my case, I got FSPE). However, I'm pretty sure if you look at various games you will find certain mbti types are domineering.
I posted a study that says a quarter of wow-players are INTJs. I categorized the game as FCPD. In raiding which is a major aspect of the game it's not about hitting buttons as fast as you can but timing your abilities precisely
(Well, at least it should be...) in order to get maximum damage.
That requires concentration for a long span which introverts are simply better at. Even PvP requires it, though fast, immediate reactions are as important.
It's a complex open world with many options and customizations rather than a linear narrative with a predefined setting to enjoy it "in the moment".
If you don't prepare yourself for a bossfight (like I often did, lol) you die, so you can't really be spontaneous like in a shooter.
Last but not least, it's about competition, though there is plenty of content that is just there for exploring, a huge living and breathing world, but it was always about being better as the guy next to you.

Games like Call of Duty are an opposite in gameplay. Though the description states that it would require precise movements, it's really all about the killing, it throws ammo at you like it's newspapers so you actually don't need to stop shooting at all.

I'm fairly sure there are a lot of ESTPs playing Call of Duty, probably more than any other type. However, ( [MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] ) there are also some INFJs out there and every other type enjoying the game.
And there are ESTPs playing Final Fantasy they're just not that frequent.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
FCPD - Puzzle Gamer

5 Twitch-Fluid, 2 Simple-Complex, 11 Planning-Acting and 4 Entertainment-Difficulty!

Chthonic

4 Twitch-Fluid, 5 Simple-Complex, 11 Planning-Acting and 9 Entertainment-Difficulty!

FLUID

COMPLEX

PLANNING

ENTERTAINMENT
YOUR ANALYSIS (Vertical line = Average)

You scored 4% on Twitch-Fluid, higher than 20% of your peers.

You scored 5% on Simple-Complex, higher than 64% of your peers.

You scored 11% on Planning-Acting, higher than 87% of your peers.

You scored 9% on Entertainment-Difficulty, higher than 70% of your peers.
Recent Results

á´…eparted

passages

4 Twitch-Fluid
3 Simple-Complex
9 Planning-Acting
7 Entertainment-Difficulty

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Role Playing Gamer

Your result for What Kind Of Gamer Are You? ...

10 Planning-Acting
9 Entertainment-Difficulty
2 Simple-Complex
4 Twitch-Fluid

FLUID

COMPLEX

PLANNING

ENTERTAINMENT

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FSAD - Shmup (Scrolling Shooter)

Shmup (short for Shoot 'Em Up) is a term used for scrolling shooters. FSPD's enjoy horizontal and vertical shooters because they favor a smooth hand and a calm demeanor over spastic action. FSAD's depend on simple controls so they can focus on their path and plan of attack. Shmups tend to literally fill the screen with hazards and enemies, so a FSPD's natural reflexes and steady hand serve them well. Many older shmups (and lots of Japanese ones) are renowned for being very difficult and FSAD's consider it a privilege to face them.

Games FSAD's like: Defender, Gradius, 1942, R-Type

FLUID

SIMPLE
You remember the good old days, when Atari was cutting edge with a joystick and ONE BUTTON. This is not to say that you can't handle more complex controls and concepts, but you prefer that your games didn't require half a novel's worth of instructions. You do best when all the controls and options are right at your fingertips. You probably feel right at home with older games because they inherently have less to work with. Newer games either frustrate you with too many buttons and options, or they just annoy you because there are simpler ways to climb a ladder than jumping on, holding L, and then pushing forward.

ACTING
In the virtual world, who needs a plan when you can just hit the reset button? You play things by ear, and when the shit hits the fan, you hit the bricks. You're the one who survives the zombie onslaught with only a knife. You're the one who captures the flag long after the rest of your team was killed. You're also the one who can never be relied upon. Because you're never really prepared, you could die during a crucial moment when everyone else has that extra healing potion left. Or during an important mission you fail because you forgot to get the security passcard to get in the base undetected. You play the biggest risk and you reap the results.

DIFFICULTY
You play mostly for the challenge. You thrive on the idea that you are defeating an enemy or piloting a jet. As the game presents new challenges, you knock them down and the ones you can't pass drive you to become a better player and overcome them. You probably have played tournaments before and you enjoy friendly competition. You probably one more than one strategy guide and maybe even are on a forum or part of a clan dedicated to your favorite game. You probably also love the art and music and design of video games but the only reason you might pop in GoldenEye is because some old pals come over and you all want to start up a deathmatch and see who's still got it.

lol not really a gamer by any means. i think this is giving me much more credit than i deserve.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

3 Twitch-Fluid, 3 Simple-Complex, 11 Planning-Acting and 8 Entertainment-Difficulty!

Sounds about right.

I do like more action oriented-games as well though, just not as much.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I didn't plan to argue about my opinions but I knew I would end up doing it anyways.

There wasn't any correlation between test results and type so far (not even in my case, I got FSPE). However, I'm pretty sure if you look at various games you will find certain mbti types are domineering.
I posted a study that says a quarter of wow-players are INTJs. I categorized the game as FCPD. In raiding which is a major aspect of the game it's not about hitting buttons as fast as you can but timing your abilities precisely
(Well, at least it should be...) in order to get maximum damage.
That requires concentration for a long span which introverts are simply better at. Even PvP requires it, though fast, immediate reactions are as important.
It's a complex open world with many options and customizations rather than a linear narrative with a predefined setting to enjoy it "in the moment".
If you don't prepare yourself for a bossfight (like I often did, lol) you die, so you can't really be spontaneous like in a shooter.
Last but not least, it's about competition, though there is plenty of content that is just there for exploring, a huge living and breathing world, but it was always about being better as the guy next to you.

Games like Call of Duty are an opposite in gameplay. Though the description states that it would require precise movements, it's really all about the killing, it throws ammo at you like it's newspapers so you actually don't need to stop shooting at all.

I'm fairly sure there are a lot of ESTPs playing Call of Duty, probably more than any other type. However, ( [MENTION=18763]Ghost[/MENTION] ) there are also some INFJs out there and every other type enjoying the game.
And there are ESTPs playing Final Fantasy they're just not that frequent.

I won't doubt that certain types aren't more readily apparent in certain games. However, the correlations in the OP are just silly.

I would say that in general, more competitive play is probably associated with T types and that J types might be more inclined to practice a game to get better at in than just jump in (opposite for Ps--tend to be more casual gamers), but I don't think you can presume a whole lot more than that.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FCPD - Puzzle Gamer

5 Twitch-Fluid, 4 Simple-Complex, 10 Planning-Acting and 5 Entertainment-Difficulty!

Not every battle is won with a fast hand and wicked reflexes. No one knows this better than Puzzle Gamers. FCPD's are thinkers, and their actions are deliberate, precise, and smooth. They don't rely on twitchy movements and button mashing. Every move is done for a reason and every path has been explored. While it's easy to dismiss Puzzle Gamers as "slow" or "less aggressive" it is ultimately wrong. FCPD's have sharp minds and can find paths and options never explored by a "faster" gamer. They have the ability to process complex ideas and options quickly and they thoroughly explore any option they choose to reap the most benefit from it.

Games FCPD's like: Tetris, Prince of Persia, Professor Layton

I'm mostly into rpg, but overall, not bad at all.

Harizu

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
TCPE - Action RPGer

8 Twitch-Fluid, 4 Simple-Complex, 9 Planning-Acting and 9 Entertainment-Difficulty!

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Role Playing Gamer, like everyone else.

My favorite games are Morrowind, Deus Ex, Knights of the Old Republic, New Vegas and the Mass Effect series, so go figure.

93JC

FSPE - Racer

5 Twitch-Fluid
9 Simple-Complex
6 Planning-Acting
8 Entertainment-Difficulty

FSPEs thrive on the asphalt. Racing games require a finesse and foresight that is not very foreign to FSPEs They have a steady hand and good planning abilities which allows them to telegraph and accommodate the racetrack accordingly. They are excellent at choosing when to pass an opponent and can easily handle it when they are wrong and lose control. They have little care or time to learn complex controls; stop and go are the only things they need to know. Above all, FSPEs play for the thrill of the race, especially since some games such as Driver and Burnout have no clear cut winner.

Games FSPEs like: Gran Turismo, Driver, Burnout, MotoStorm