• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How Psychopathic Are You?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The problem with the lack of empiricism in psychology is that it is all structured around the ideal form of behavior that the upper class expects of subordinates which is in no way an example of actual or likely biological disorder.
Can you support the highlighted generalization, or elaborate on what you see as the "'lack of empiricism" in psychology? The literature is replete with direct observations and even experiments that would satisfy most people's definitions of empirical, even if they might find fault with the methodology or conclusions drawn in some cases.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
So in reality, you just have a personal dislike for how the world is structured, and therefore exaggerate and heavily dramatize what you see around you (which is wrong to begin with) and deem the entire field as wrong because you must be right. Dat logic. It's impressive!

That is flat irrational in every which way. Based off what I have seen of other posts of yours, you have an extremely warped picture of the world and are in no position to judge something like this.

I have a problem with people who appoint themselves all high and mighty authorities on normal vs. abnormal and then assume a throne without any empirical basis for their claims and begin issuing edicts.

For example, for decades homosexuality was a disorder according to the APA. Now it's not, cause: no reason. Why was it a disorder before? No reason.

S&M sexuality was a disorder, now it's not, cause: no reason. Why was it a disorder before? Because it seems abnormal to attempt to damage that with which you are procreating and therefore decrease the viability of offspring? Or no particular reason?

To me it sounds like you're projecting what the APA does... "I don't like x, y, z behavior, therefore it is an illness... look for evidence... no evidence... still it's a disorder cause I don't like it!"

á´…eparted

passages
I have a problem with people who appoint themselves all high and mighty authorities on normal vs. abnormal and then assume a throne without any empirical basis for their claims and begin issuing edicts.

For example, for decades homosexuality was a disorder according to the APA. Now it's not, cause: no reason. Why was it a disorder before? No reason.

S&M sexuality was a disorder, now it's not, cause: no reason. Why was it a disorder before? Because it seems abnormal to attempt to damage that with which you are procreating and therefore decrease the viability of offspring? Or no particular reason?

To me it sounds like you're projecting what the APA does... "I don't like x, y, z behavior, therefore it is an illness... look for evidence... no evidence... still it's a disorder cause I don't like it!"

As I said, no field is perfect. As new information, data, research (clinical) comes in they adjust things accordingly. This is why a new DSM is published every 10-15 years, to update and reflect what we now know.

Ok. So how on earth are we supposed to put people in authority then? People don't appoint themselves. They get promoted just like they would in any organization.

You're also putting words in my mouth. I have said noting like that. You're the one that's saying you don't like something and projecting, and that is not what the APA does. It's a complete lie. I do not decide what belongs in the DSM or not. I may have opinions towards one particular disorder or not (and in general I don't). However, if it's regarded as important enough to be included, then there must have been rational basis behind it. The DSM-V was HEAVILY discussed, debated, and edited before it was published. It was actually in the news several times a few years back because of it. The APA sought to make sure it has come to as good of a consensus as it can, and make it as good as it can be.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
As I said, no field is perfect. As new information, data, research (clinical) comes in they adjust things accordingly. This is why a new DSM is published every 10-15 years, to update and reflect what we now know.

Ok. So how on earth are we supposed to put people in authority then? People don't appoint themselves. They get promoted just like they would in any organization.

You're also putting words in my mouth. I have said noting like that. You're the one that's saying you don't like something and projecting. I do not decide what belongs in the DSM or not. I may have opinions towards one particular disorder or not (and in general I don't). However, if it's regarded as important enough to be included, then there must have been rational basis behind it. The DSM-V was HEAVILY discussed, debated, and edited before it was published. It was actually in the news several times a few years back because of it. The APA sought to make sure it has come to as good of a consensus as it can, and make it as good as it can be.

When did I say there wasn't a rational basis behind including things in the DSM? The USSR had a rational basis for including "sluggishly progressing schizophrenia" in their definitions of disorders. They had a nice little checklist for it too - just like you'd find in the DSM. Of course, the USSR's rationale had nothing to do with psychological health.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4

You're also putting words in my mouth. I have said noting like that. You're the one that's saying you don't like something and projecting, and that is not what the APA does. It's a complete lie. I do not decide what belongs in the DSM or not. I may have opinions towards one particular disorder or not (and in general I don't). However, if it's regarded as important enough to be included, then there must have been rational basis behind it. The DSM-V was HEAVILY discussed, debated, and edited before it was published. It was actually in the news several times a few years back because of it. The APA sought to make sure it has come to as good of a consensus as it can, and make it as good as it can be.

You're right, however, I am being hyperbolic. I certainly believe there are totally legitimate mental illnesses, but I also see how easy it is to pathologize normal behavior and/or generally dehumanize society by attempting to sanitize human differences and interpersonal relationships for the benefit of the system. It really depends on the disorder and the situation whether it is being misused or not. I can certainly think of instances where psychology both can, has been, and is being misused as a form of control over dissenting ideas/viewpoints and/or attempting to cover the tracks of nefarious elements.

One example I would cite is the alleged schizophrenia of John Nash who made several reports of being gaslighted and then fled the country. To this day, he has never actually renounced his claims - only made asides like "I was not thinking how I should have been" or "I failed to take into account everything I should have." He still states he has never hallucinated anything. Regardless, we have "inspirational" stories portraying him as a genius schizophrenic that couldn't be further from the truth of his story.

á´…eparted

passages
When did I say there wasn't a rational basis behind including things in the DSM? The USSR had a rational basis for including "sluggishly progressing schizophrenia" in their definitions of disorders. They had a nice little checklist for it too - just like you'd find in the DSM. Of course, the USSR's rationale had nothing to do with psychological health.

You're right, however, I am being hyperbolic. I certainly believe there are totally legitimate mental illnesses, but I also see how easy it is to pathologize normal behavior and/or generally dehumanize society by attempting to sanitize human differences and interpersonal relationships for the benefit of the system. It really depends on the disorder and the situation whether it is being misused or not. I can certainly think of instances where psychology both can, has been, and is being misused as a form of control over dissenting ideas/viewpoints and/or attempting to cover the tracks of nefarious elements.

One example I would cite is the alleged schizophrenia of John Nash who made several reports of being gaslighted and then fled the country. To this day, he has never actually renounced his claims - only made asides like "I was not thinking how I should have been" or "I failed to take into account everything I should have." He still states he has never hallucinated anything. Regardless, we have "inspirational" stories portraying him as a genius schizophrenic that couldn't be further from the truth of his story.

Again, this comes back to you demonizing something because you personally don't like it, and you're not the one that gets to decide what is normal human behavior or not. If you're going to discuss something, being hyperbolic is going to result in people pushing you back harder, not taking you seriously, or finding you to be irrational. It does no good. It's fine to take issue with small parts of something when there are problems (and I agree there are). However, taking that and using to make broad stroke statements is wrong, which is why I called this out.

I do not care to get into the case of John Nash because I do not know enough about him or his story to say what occurred. Nevertheless, schizophrenia is one of the three (the other two being schizoaffective, and bipolar), major/serious mental disorders, and no one is going to refute that. We do however need to keep investigating new ways to treat it. Somewhat recently there was a very nice TED talk on this that highlights different approaches towards schizophrenia.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Again, this comes back to you demonizing something because you personally don't like it, and you're not the one that gets to decide what is normal human behavior or not. If you're going to discuss something, being hyperbolic is going to result in people pushing you back harder, not taking you seriously, or finding you to be irrational. It does no good. It's fine to take issue with small parts of something when there are problems (and I agree there are). However, taking that and using to make broad stroke statements is wrong, which is why I called this out.

I do not care to get into the case of John Nash because I do not know enough about him or his story to say what occurred. Nevertheless, schizophrenia is one of the three (the other two being schizoaffective, and bipolar), major/serious mental disorders, and no one is going to refute that. We do however need to keep investigating new ways to treat it. Somewhat recently there was a very nice TED talk on this that highlights different approaches towards schizophrenia.

No, it has nothing to do with me personally disliking it and everything to do with the fact that it is being politically abused.

á´…eparted

passages
No, it has nothing to do with me personally disliking it and everything to do with the fact that it is being politically abused.

You really could have fooled me, and you have YET AGAIN missed the entire point of what I am saying: labeling something as entirely invalid and not to be considered due to a small part of the organization maybe doing questionable things is NOT a rational, sound, or fair reason to write it off. You can not paint it with a broad stroke brush.

blahblahbob

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
You really could have fooled me, and you have YET AGAIN missed the entire point of what I am saying: labeling something as entirely invalid and not to be considered due to a small part of the organization maybe doing questionable things is NOT a rational, sound, or fair reason to write it off. You can not paint it with a broad stroke brush.

That also does not dismiss the fact that it is, fundamentally, only quasi-empirical and rests completely on an appeal to authority fallacy. It may be otherwise functional in some regards, but it is regarded by many as a thoroughly proved hard science which is, in fact, fraud. I like the MBTI typology, I believe it is an adequate classification system which, nevertheless, doesn't take into account the true spectrum of human behavior and can never adequately describe any one individual. Similarly, I believe schizophrenia is a real disease as I've met and read the writings of people with actual schizophrenia. I've also read the writings of people who have been said to be schizophrenic and been skeptical.

For many years the East German Stasi practiced a form of "no-touch torture" called "Zersetzung" which involved gaslighting, slander, libel, stalking, women and men posing as romantic interests, and a number of other techniques designed to deliberately destroy an individual's life. Barring the knowledge of this practice, any person who claimed to be victim to this could easily be dismissed as having a mental disorder, furthering the gaslighting effect that the victim of the communist regimes torture had on the target. The CIA also extensively experimented with no-touch torture methods and it still is not illegal in the United States and I doubt most of the E.U..

This is one of the many problems of failing to live up to the rigorous standards of evidence based medicine. By asserting that all disorders can be diagnosed symptomatically, both a wide range of actual disorders and non-disorders can become classified under the same diagnosis. Because the DSM presents itself as more empirical than it actually is, it is of greater risk for this than internal medicine. If I have HIV, there are empirical tests that can confirm that to me. If I have schizophrenia, there isn't a single empirical test to confirm that - it is purely a subjective analysis of a set of apparent behaviors by the attending psychiatrist. These behaviors might be the same disorder that is present in a majority of schizophrenia patients or it could be a completely different disorder which manifests the same symptoms or it could be, as in the case of zersetzung, no disorder at all, but merely an accurate description of actual events which are misinterpreted according to a set rubric of behavioral disorders.

The problem with the APA is not that it says some disorders exist, but that it pretends to have as concrete a grasp on them as medical science does on physiological malfunctions. If the APA wanted to have more of my trust, they would be more open about how subjective psychological analysis actually is and how the disorders are not cut and dry and well understood - but merely subjective analysis of undesirable behavioral traits common to multiple individuals. However, it is not in the APA's interest to be open with how subjective their science actually is in a world that wants quick fixes to any particular problem which arises.

My distrust of the entire psychological establishment rests on its lack of empiricism and its appeals to authority. That doesn't mean I believe all psychology is useless. When they combine their tendency to overstate the solidness of their science with malevolent violations of the Nuremberg Code, however, it ensures I will not contribute to their organization in any way, financially or otherwise.

I guess I misstated how I felt about it: I hate deception, particularly dogmatic deception... I see the lack of solid empiricism in psychology combined with a rigorous belief that it is as solid as medical science as deception... therefore I have strong personal feelings about that.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
61%

Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

perhaps you are 2/3rds satan, if you consider lucifer's number is 666 if you're an e 6 you are 1/3th related to the devil and if you score 66% on the psychopathic test you are 2/3rds him/her

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:sadbanana:

61%

and I thought that I was being nice! I LIKE animals and don't like to see them all injured and unhappy and I'd never cheat on my SO and I think that scamming people is bad...

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?!?!?!?!?

Occam's Chainsaw

YOUR
SCORE 100%
You can play hardball with the best of them! You know what you want and are not afraid to go for it – even if it means bending the rules occasionally and putting a few noses out of joint on the way. Nothing fazes you. You are decisive, self-confident and pretty much up for anything. You are a ‘means-to-an-end’ person. For you, it’s not necessarily a matter of right or wrong, but of what gets the job done. ‘Bring it on’ is your mantra, but to help those around you keep their heads, you should learn some tricks to help you temper your self-satisfying tendencies...

6/7 on the game. I misplaced Shakespeare.

Occam's Chainsaw

Here's "chubbers" result from the psychopath test... notice it doesn't call him a scumbag for being a psychopath, but praises him for it - that about embodies everything wrong with contemporary Psych academia.

Why would you want it to call him a scumbag? It's not like it'd have any effect. A psychopath would just brush it off since empaths are viewed with contempt. Any other reason is just petty.

Senkrad

MBTI Type
FiTe
Enneagram
YwX
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
YOUR SCORE 61%
Though your conscience is in the right place you also have a pragmatic streak and generally aren’t afraid to do your own dirty work! You’re no shrinking violet - but no daredevil either. You generally have little trouble seeing things from another person’s perspective but, at the same time, are no pushover. ‘Everything in moderation – including moderation’ might sum up your approach to life.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But this doesn't stop me from ending up liking psychopaths and being tolerant of too much.