• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

temperament test and poll (Hippocrates)

What temperament combination are you?

• Total voters

lane777

nevermore
63% Phlegmatic - strength: 16 weakness: 9
23% Melancholy - strength: 1 weakness: 8
10% Sanguine - strength: 2 weakness: 2
5% Chloreric - strength: 1 weakness: 1

dyspraxion

MBTI Type
INtP
Enneagram
4w5
Your personality is Melancholy Phlegmatic

Melancholy Strength:14 Weakness:11 63%
Phlegmatic
Strength:4 Weakness:9 33%
Sanguine Strength:1 Weakness:0 3%
Choleric Strength:1 Weakness:0 3%

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Your personality is Melancholy Phlegmatic.
Melancholy Strength:11 Weakness:4
38%
Phlegmatic Strength:2 Weakness:5
18%
Sanguine Strength:5 Weakness:2
18%
Choleric Strength:2 Weakness:2
10%

cherchair

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Melancholic-Choleric: no big surprise there, I guess, all things considered.

Melancholy -35%
Phlegmatic - 8%
Sanguine - 10%
Choleric - 35%

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your personality is Sanguine Melancholy.

Melancholy Strength:7 Weakness:5 30%
Phlegmatic Strength:0 Weakness:5 13%
Sanguine Strength:5 Weakness:8 33%
Choleric Strength:8 Weakness:2 25%

I tested as San-Mel. Aren't they rather opposite?

I don't really identify with any one of the temperaments, though. The only one that rings completely false for me is the choleric one. I think we all have different "moods" which the temperaments seem to represent.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Melancholy Strength:10 Weakness:7 43%
Phlegmatic Strength:3 Weakness:1 10%
Sanguine Strength:3 Weakness:3 15%
Choleric Strength:4 Weakness:9

Melancholy Choleric.
Whadya know, a year of personality development has turned me into.. Choleric Melancholy :)
(Now with strengths, too!)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personality / Temperament for erin

Test taken on November 13th 2008

Personality: Sanguine Phlegmatic
Melancholy Strength:2 Weakness:5
18%

Phlegmatic Strength:6 Weakness:4
25%

Sanguine Strength:9 Weakness:8
43%

Choleric Strength:3 Weakness:3
15%

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Your personality is Melancholy Choleric.

Melancholy Strength:7 Weakness:5
30%
Phlegmatic Strength:4 Weakness:4
20%
Sanguine Strength:3 Weakness:5
20%
Choleric Strength:6 Weakness:6
30%

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Choleric (Strength 6 Weakness 11)
43%
Sanguine (Strength 9 Weakness 9)
38%
Melancholy and Phlegmatic each 10%

I'm a touchy-feely decisive leader. Huh? How do these two work together....

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your personality is Melancholy Choleric.

Melancholy Strength:7 Weakness:7 35%
Phlegmatic Strength:3 Weakness:6 23%
Sanguine Strength:5 Weakness:3 20%
Choleric Strength:5 Weakness:4 23%

When I first took LaHaye's "temperament blob" in his book "Why You act the Way You Do" (which makes cartoon characters out of the temperaments):
PersonaltraitsA.jpg

in which you just picked the traits out of the circle; I had come out Phleg-Mel. In another one like this online; it was either MelChlor or PhlegChlor, and Sanguine was only one single point. That's obviously what I'm least like.

In actuality, neither of these are really accurate, as the system my wife uses (APS) has a fifth temperament, Supine, which is introverted like the Melancholy and yet people-oriented like the Sanguine. In this older four temperament model; the Phlegmatic held that position, yet APs has deemed to to be actually moderate in both scales. Yet when I take four temperament tests which don't have Supine; I have to come out as something, so it is usually the next closest ones: Melancholy and Phlegmatic, and usually with Choleric, which is also represented in my APS score. Where the LaHaye model just uses percentages for the blends; APS uses the FIRO system which divides behavior into three areas, called "Inclusion" (social skills), Control (leadership skills) and Affection (deep personal relations). this categorization of temperament blends I find makes it the most accurate. It tells you in exactly which way you are one temperament or another.

What many people don't realize is that the first two of these areas already seemed to be represented in the 16 types! Basically, the "Keirseyan" temperament groups relate to leadership, and the "Interaction Style" is social skills!

IST/INJ Melancholy (Chart the Course)
EST/ENJ Choleric (In Charge)
ISF/INP Phlegmatic (Behind The Scenes)
ESF/ENP Sanguine (Get Things Going)

SJ Melancholic (Guardian/Stabilizer)
SP Sanguine (Artisan/Improviser)
NF Phlegmatic* (Idealist/Catalyst)
NT Choleric* (Rational/Theorist)

*These last two are reverse from Keirsey's correlation, which has NT=Phlegmatic and NF=Choleric. That occurs because Keirsey defined Choleric purely as "enthusiastic", and Phlegmatic as "dispassionate". But for the Interaction Styles (using I and E as factors), that would be more accurate, yet his temperaments are basically in the area of leadership, and the NT's need for power is Choleric, and the NF's diplomacy is Phlegmatic or possibly also the fifth temperament (Supine), which will have more energy, and respond with more enthusiasm than the Phlegmatic. In Interaction Styles, the Supine would also follow the Behind the Scenes.

So the comparison that results from this:

ISTJ Pure Melancholy
ISFJ Phlegmatic*/ Melancholy ("PhlegMel")
INFJ Melancholy/Phlegmatic* ("MelPhleg")
INTJ Melancholy/Choleric ("MelChlor")
ISTP Melancholy/Sanguine ("MelSan")
ISFP Phlegmatic*/Sanguine ("PhlegSan")
INFP Pure Phlegmatic*
INTP Phlegmatic*/Choleric ("PhlegChlor")
ESTP Choleric/Sanguine ("ChlorSan")
ESFP Pure Sanguine
ENFP Sanguine/Phlegmatic* ("SanPhleg")
ENTP Sanguine/Choleric ("SanChlor")
ESTJ Choleric/Melancholy ("ChlorMel")
ESFJ Sanguine/Melancholy ("SanMel")
ENFJ Choleric/Phlegmatic* ("ChlorPhleg")
ENTJ Pure Choleric

* May also be fifth temperament, "Supine"

It seems there is a lot of accuaracy in this. I have already had one INFJ tell me today that they were Phlegmatic and not Choleric; and I see a couple of others came out that way as well. I do see some that are coming out Melancholy-Choleric, however. I see one ENFP who came out Sanguine-Phlegmatic:thumbup:; but one or two others who came out Sanguine-Choleric:eek:uch:. At least one INTJ did come out more expectedly as Melancholy-choleric, but then so did the ENTJ's. Still, these are not far from what I would expect, at all!
Most other INTP's are also Melancholy-Choleric. Again, it could be for the same reason I came out that way. It would also match INTP's coming out as E5's (which is very Melancholy); myself included; but if Enneagram would allow type mixing along its instinctual variants (which appear to direcly parallel our Inclusion, Control and Affection), then I bet you would see more 8 along with 6 and/or 9 instead of 5; which may be just what the traits "average out to"; just like mine do on these four temperament blobs. For the INFJ and ENFP, if their leadership temperament is really Supine instead of Phlegmatic; they will have a need of appreciation or recognition that may make them manipulative and react very hostile-like when they don't get it, and thus appear Choleric (even though that is the opposite temperament). Part of the hostility in an INFJ would come from the "directive" Melancholy, which for an N, is determined by Ni; and for the ENFP, from the Sanguine, which also has a hot temper, and can behave badly for attention.

Here's one site that matches them th same way I do (including with the DiSC system):
Temperament and Personality

Here's one with a description of the 12 blends (two of them are listed twice, and there is one three way blend, for a total of 15:
Profile Dynamics

These do pretty much match very closely the comparison above, as do LaHaye's: The MelChlor's intensified anger and being hard to please, for instance, or the ChlorMel's industriousness, capability, making mincemeat of you if you don't get your facts straight; the MelSan's artisticness, the SanMel's emotionalism, the PhlegChlor's detachment, etc.

This last site includes Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Choleric, which also sounds a lot like common INFJ descriptions; so if an NF (other than ENFJ) has Choleric, INTP has Melancholy; or any other type has an ill fitting Hippocratic temperament; they can look into that third area to see if that is where it lies (like in that example the Choleric does influence the other two). In that site, and LaHaye; it would just be a temperament coming in a strong third place percentage wise. But in APS, the third would be the Affection area.

Here's also the thread on the similar five temperament test:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/6956-five-temperaments-test.html

That was an informal version thrown together by a couple of bloggers, which is basically like this one; but with the addition of the fifth temperament. It doesn't break it down into Inclusion, Control and Affection, like the APS, or its parent, the FIRO-B, and are much more accurate. (One INTP not on this board took this test and came out Phlegmatic, Choleric and Melancholy, and an INFP came out Supine, Phlegmatic and Melancholy).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Melancholy Strength:1 Weakness:5 15%

Phlegmatic Strength:7 Weakness:7 35%

Sanguine Strength:3 Weakness:3 15%

Choleric Strength:9 Weakness:5 35%

Choleric Phlegmatic.

I... I think I broke the test.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Your personality is Sanguine Choleric.

Melancholy Strength:2 Weakness:4 15%
Phlegmatic Strength:4 Weakness:4 20%
Sanguine Strength:9 Weakness:8 43%
Choleric Strength:5 Weakness:4 23%

lane777

nevermore
ALL TEXT.

Hippocrates... :wubbie:

Really prefer it over MBTI. When I read the Phlegmel profile years back, I immediately related; there was no doubting my type. I can also type people with ease when using Hippocrates.

What irks me about MBTI is it's failure to balance the pros and cons of each type, favouring the pros more so; which does not promote accuracy when typing oneself or another. Bottom line is, I simply always doubt my INFJ status, and many others seem to have type issues as well. I have tested as ISFJ, INTP, INFP, INTJ and some E as well. Very. Frustrating.

Last edited:

redacted

Your personality is Melancholy Phlegmatic.
45%, 45%
3% Sanguine
8% Choleric

I identify most with the positives of Melancholy and the negatives of Phlegmatic most.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I came up with sanphleg for an ENFP thats pretty predictable isn' t I don't know what any of it means though

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Your personality is Phlegmatic Melancholy.

Melancholy Strength:7 Weakness:4
28%

Phlegmatic Strength:5 Weakness:9
35%

Sanguine Strength:7 Weakness:2
23%

Choleric Strength:1 Weakness:5
15%

Hmm ... never took one of these before. Time to go read up on it ...

Silent Stars

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Melancholy Strength:11 Weakness:9
50%
Phlegmatic Strength:7 Weakness:9
40%
Sanguine Strength:2 Weakness:1
8%
Choleric Strength:0 Weakness:1