User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Feminist Test

I think feminist theory should start using gender-free language and tools to identify the real cause behind gender inequality, and then try to see how much of each problematic trait identified is present in society overall as well as in each sex specifically, so that the movement can become aware of potential shortcomings of its proponents and become more self-critical and empathic as a result and also avoid making broad generalizations about each gender.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    I am aware of that, and chose such a test on purpose to see if anyone would still come out as a feminist despite the questions being far from objective.

That most of the forum has is deeply concerning...
    Your result is far more concerning, though.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    You miss the point...it's about portrayals which affect where the bar is set for a gender...and Sherlock is not setting the bar. Culture is not reflecting Sherlock & vice versa.
    Ok, the media forms opinions, obviously, but that doesn't mean that we should prohibit such portrayals. Humans are herd animals, there will always be conventions and social boundings. They can change, but not be erased, except it's done by force, which would be kind of totalitarian.
    4w3 - 7w6 - 1w9 : The Idealist

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

You scored 80% on awareness, higher than 67% of your peers.

I wins!
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I am aware of that, and chose such a test on purpose to see if anyone would still come out as a feminist despite the questions being far from objective.

That most of the forum has is deeply concerning...
    Somehow I'll live with my feminism being disapproved of by someone who espouses white nationalist views.

figsfiggyfigs

"Bitch needs to pluck those monkey brows."

figsfiggyfigs

The Egalitarian
    You are 59% on your way to being a Feminist!

lol obviously, which is why I am so concerned about how high peoples' scores are...
    I always chose another answer than the "I hate men/I hate women"-option, and still got 77%.
    I FEEL ALRIGHT

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

The Basic Feminist
    You are 72% on your way to being a Feminist!

The Basic Feminist

You're a Feminist! Congratulations!

You have a good idea of what sexism is, how to avoid it, and how to stand up for women and/or yourself. You might have read some basic Feminist literature or thought in passing, and thought that it was pretty good. Sometimes you baulk a little at overtly identifying yourself as a Feminist due to the negative stigma. Don't be ashamed of being right! Just keep on doing what you're doing and exploring more ways to treat everyone with respect because of their humanity, not their parts, and you're helping to fix the problem!

Yeah, I' m a feminist, I' m not ashamed of it, and if needed, I' m gonna shout about it to everyone! Down with sexsism! I am against abortion, though, because there are ways to prevent that baby from existing in the first place, but if one couldn' t see the consequances of their action, they should take the responsibility about it. You were the one who let the baby exist, you didn' t try to if not eradicate then at least reduce the possibility of it appearing, now it' s too late, and even though it' s on the early stages of development, it is already a life form. You didn' t think about this, but you should think about all the possibilities before acting. Now have the guts to accept the consequances of your actions, and face what it means not to think about tomorrow.

@Stephano

It's not really about the media forming opinions but rather its reinforcing of certain far-reaching cultural ideals - opinions which are already there and ideologies which are already active. Some of those ideals are more two-dimensional than three-dimensional beings can healthfully withstand. Cultural misogyny in the western world goes back at least to classical Greece.

When one version of a story is repeatedly told to the minimization of others, it's that one version that stays alive in greater consciousness. We are a story-valuing species. But stories (metaphorically) and the media are only one aspect of this, in a cycle so seamless that they're effects as much as causes.

A culture with neurotic devaluation of femininity necessarily hurts men - and yes, the converse would be true in a culture that devalues masculinity. The thing is that realistically speaking, there are more cultures who are neurotically anti-feminine and pro-masculine than the converse. That's why feminism is a de facto humanism. It is one of the least monolithic movements that I know of, but as far as I'm aware, its second wave established gender non-essentialism as a global tenet. A lot of gender theory is devoted to analyzing the construction & evolution of gender on both sides.

I am not a feminist for many reasons but as a humanist, I can find some agreeable broad themes to every wave: first wave pragmatism, second wave sociological analytics, third wave post-colonialism. If American filters threaten to conflate rights with privileges, we can turn to less subtle cases such as those found in regions like China, India, Iran, Sudan, Russia.