• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Five Temperaments test!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've just found where someone who also uses the five temperament theory I always talk about, has made up their own free version of the test. This is not the APS test (which is based on FIRO, and bound by a licensing agreement with CPP, Inc), but a simple self-scorer made by listing various traits of the temperaments, which you score 1-5, and see which you come out strongest in. In the real test, you would get a combination of three temperaments (possibly the same) for the areas of Inclusion, Control and Affection, as you can see in my signature. This test does not have that, so you're not getting the full deal of the theory. It is just to give a rough idea, like the kind of informal four temperament tests you can find online or in Tim LaHaye's books, but with the fifth temperament added. Also what I basically did with the MBTI subscales, to get the bar graph in my signature).
So now you all can get an idea if you have any of this new temperament.

temperament test
(Looks like you have to print it out)

(and they also have more information, plus an interactive flash graphic of them at Temperament Overview: The Nifty Interactive Graphic Version!

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Very nice find -- for those capable, this test's scoring wouldn't be too difficult to automate.

Choleric, to little surprise.

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
melancholic...got a lot of supine too though, it was a close call.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wow, supports my theory that INFJ= "Melancholy-Supine" (Melancholy [in Inclusion]=INJ, aka "Chart the Course"; Supine [in Control]=NF Idealist.
(ENTJ would be pure Choleric, also)

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
I thought I was Choleric -- But no! I got Sanguine-Phlegmatic here...

What a surprise!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did expect ENJ (In Charge) to be Choleric (And NF could be Phlegmatic also). Would you have happened to have been close in the J/P scale?

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
@Eric:

I think I'm really really close in every scale, not just J/P. I'm too unique!

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Melancholy > Phlegmatic > Supine

Supine was somewhat close to phlegmatic though.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
Just my scores.

Supine 48
Melancholy 44
Phlegmatic 42
Choleric 23
Sanguine 20

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have to be bored to take long tests, but I scored Melancholic in high school. I don't believe Supine was on that test.

Based on the traits & descriptions,

Melancholic/Phlegmatic

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a book called "Personality Plus" that uses these same divisions and names. I think it's fundamentally flawed, because it has all members of a certain temperament being introverted or all being extroverted. I think Keirsey's four temperaments are much more cohesive. Reading the descriptions on that site, it seems like it's lumping people together in ways that don't fit.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Personality Plus is Florence Littauer, and is loosely associated with LaHaye, I believe. She adds nicknames to the temperaments: "Perfect Melancholy" "Powerful Choleric" "Popular Sanguine" "Peaceful Phlegmatic". Neither she, nor any of the others use Supine. That is specifically Arno Profile system (which is based on FIRO-B), and now a couple of bloggers are hosting this scaled down test using the five temperaments.
There's also another one out there, the Worley Profile, which calls the fifth temperament, "Introverted Sanguine'. I've also just found "five Toddler Temperaments". The Five Toddler Temperaments
This is probably unrelated, though they are similar. (Angel=Phlegmatic; Texbook=Supine; Touchy=Melancholy; Spirited=Sanguine; Grumpy=Choleric).

When I first saw Keirsey's temperaments; I was greatly thrown off by the fact that each temperament was evenly divided between introverts and extraverts. How could the "Sanguine" SP have four introverted types, and the "Melancholic" SJ have four extraverted types?
But then I learned about the Interaction Styles, which also correspond to the four temperaments, but are in fact drawn along the lines of I and E; along with another factor, Directing and Informing (which basically is T/F for Sensors, and J/P for iNtuitors). The old temperament theory of LaHaye and Littauer are based on I/E and D/Inf. (the latter under other names, such as "people/task focus"). That's why they are either all introverted or all extraverted. I've found that the "expressive/reserved" (I/E) counterparts for the Keirsey temperaments are Cooperative/Pragmatic, tying together SJ with NF and SP with NT. Like I/E, they do shape how aggressive or passive a person is in situations (like Keirsey's descriptions "do what's right" vs "do what works").

LaHaye, however, does have 12 two way blends (which you can see here: Profile Dynamics with a couple of them listed twice, and one three-way blend thrown in, and corresponding DISC letters), which result in 16 "types". APS, using FIRO's "Inclusion", "Control" and "Affection" also result in blends. If you take expressed Inclusion as I/E; then a person can be Melancholy in Control; yet still an extravert. (this would basically be an ESJ).

These are the resultant correlations I would expect:

ISTJ Pure Melancholy (My family and several friends)
ISFJ Phlegmatic*/Melancholy ("PhlegMel")
INFJ Melancholy/Phlegmatic* ("MelPhleg")
INTJ Melancholy/Choleric ("MelChlor")
ISTP Melancholy/Sanguine ("MelSan")
ISFP Phlegmatic*/Sanguine ("PhlegSan")
INFP Pure Phlegmatic*
INTP Phlegmatic*/Choleric ("PhlegChlor")
ESTP Choleric/Sanguine ("ChlorSan")
ESFP Pure Sanguine
ENFP Sanguine/Phlegmatic* ("SanPhleg")
ENTP Sanguine/Choleric ("SanChlor")
ESTJ Choleric/Melancholy ("ChlorMel")
ESFJ Sanguine/Melancholy ("SanMel")
ENFJ Choleric/Phlegmatic* ("ChlorPhleg")
ENTJ Pure Choleric

*(May also be fifth temperament, Supine)

The last several results seemed to go against this notion :doh: (with the exception of INFP as Phlegmatic!:cool:) INTJ as Melancholy-Phlegmatic-Supine instead of Melancholy-Choleric would seem to favor Keirsey's theory about the NT.:eek:uch:

But of course, there's many reasons why they might not match. (Considering that people can come up completely different MBTI types with different tests). For an ISTP, for instance, the Pragmatism of the SP is a kind of "expressiveness", while the ST is directive (task-oriented); hence, having an appearance of "Choleric" traits (Choleric is extraverted and directive; just replace extraversion with pragmatism). INTP seems Melancholic because it is introverted and yet another facet called "Structure-focused" (which ties together SJ and NT, and is the [S/N] "mirror" of "Directive".
This test is not the full one dividing between Inclusion and Control, so it might come out with the factors meshed together like that. They're still overall not too far, though.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

Interesting. When I took the test at the link you provided, I got this:

Sanguine: 69
Phlegmatic: 47
Supine: 43
Melancholy: 39
Choleric: 24

When I took the test in the "Personality Plus" book, I came up as "Perfect Melancholy" with "Popular Sanguine" a distant second.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting. Another close match!
As for personality Plus; probably, as happened when I took LaHaye's similar "pick the traits out of a list" test, the Supine isn't represented, so some of it's behaviors come out as Melancholy. (I came out PhlegMel, but that's not really that far).

6sticks

MBTI Type
istp
For an ISTP, for instance, the Pragmatism of the SP is a kind of "expressiveness", while the ST is directive (task-oriented); hence, having an appearance of "Choleric" traits (Choleric is extraverted and directive; just replace extraversion with pragmatism).
That seems reasonable.

Just to throw another wrench in the works, Phlegmatic was a fairly close second.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
My order was this:

Phlegmatic
Melancholy
Choleric
Supine
Sanguine

MuraKoji

MBTI Type
LOCK
Enneagram
8w7
ISTJ Pure Melancholy (My family and several friends)
ISFJ Phlegmatic*/Melancholy ("PhlegMel")
INFJ Melancholy/Phlegmatic* ("MelPhleg")
INTJ Melancholy/Choleric ("MelChlor")
ISTP Melancholy/Sanguine ("MelSan")
INFP Pure Phlegmatic*
INTP Phlegmatic*/Choleric ("PhlegChlor")
ESTP Choleric/Sanguine ("ChlorSan")
ESFP Pure Sanguine
ENFP Sanguine/Phlegmatic* ("SanPhleg")
ENTP Sanguine/Choleric ("SanChlor")
ESTJ Choleric/Melancholy ("ChlorMel")
ESFJ Sanguine/Melancholy ("SanMel")
ENFJ Choleric/Phlegmatic* ("ChlorPhleg")
ENTJ Pure Choleric

*look at the list*

Choleric/Phlegmatic, eh? I thought I was Choleric/Sanguine when I took the test in CatholicMatch, though I'm not Catholic.