• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Five Temperaments test!

G

garbage

So you're Supine-Choleric! That's like me:hi:. On one hand, I would say that would suggest INTP, but Supine is actually very funny that way. The "Expressed" behavior is low, like an introvert, yet it has been called an "Introverted Sanguine", because the need for people is as high as Sanguine. Phlegmatic is actually moderate in his need for people, but on the old four temperament matrix was next to Sanguine in being "people-focused" or "Informing". So you could be Supine-Choleric and still ENTP. I have some extraverted energies that I attribute in part to being Supine, and I at one point considered ENTP (as a tentative compromise between ENFP and INTP), but settled back on INTP because the archetypes fit better (tertiary/relief Si, inferior Fe, trickster Se, etc)

I believe this missed temperament explains all the supposed EN-P "introverted extraverts", because Supine basically is described in five temperament theory as an introverted extravert. It also would explain a lot of T/F problems.

Supine is also basically a bit more "feely", which I know gives me T/F ambiguities as well. So I've been called ENFP, and that's what you were wearing for a while, so this would explain it for both of us! It's the Choleric that pushes us to the T side (though perhaps barely), and at the same time might make us identify with ENTJ like you once did (That came up as my "preferred type" on Jung Explorer from Similarminds, and ENFP was the "attraction type", and INTP was "actualized type").

You've got great insight as usual. Sanguine seems to fit under the four-temperament model, but Supine might fit better under the five-temperament model. The test shows me as Supine/Choleric, but I think of myself as more Choleric/Supine. Sanguine seems to describe my extroverted Feeling friends better than it does me, though, so this test has hit upon something for me.

This is yet another Thing that I'll have to look into in more detail.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks.
It seems like you're trying to get that Choleric out front (Even though Supine came out strongest). That's understandable, as Supine is a very sensitive temperament, and Choleric is the strong and tough one that's good to confront a tough world with. So we end up almost wishing we the the full-Choleric ENTJ, as mentioned.
But in the full Five Temperament theory, "Supine-Choleric" does not indicate strengths, but rather Supine in social skills, and Choleric in leadership skills, and that seems to match xNP + NT.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't there an online test? I'm incredibly lazy.
The only online test is the one linked in the OP. That's the cheap "traits list" version.
For the full version I've been mentioning (which is actually a version of the FIRO-B), it is not offered online directly, nor is it free, unfortunately.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, I came up with my own answers, but I didn't have another source to check me:

Choleric: 34
Phlegmatic: 61
Melancholic: 66
Sanguine: 47
Supine: 66

So the ranking is like this:

Melancholic=Supine
Phlegmatic
Sanguine
Choleric

I don't quite know what to do with that, but there it is. Does the fairly high phlegmatic score count for anything, or should I disregard that in favor of Supine and Melancholic, which tied?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do my results mean? http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...6956-five-temperaments-test-7.html#post720364

Like, what do you have to say about it? I'll read that other stuff later (I have to go soon, I would just read it). :)
I kind of didn't touch that, because of the strong Melancholy. :eek:uch: I expected INFP's to be strongest in Supine and/or Phlegmatic.
The same with Little Linguist, who I considered ISFJ for, but is probably ENFP after all.

So perhaps it's the same things I said for her. The Melancholy can be an uncorresponded third area, Affection (deep personal relations, similar in concept to Enneagram's "sexual". Again, sorry there is not free version of the full test). Then, otherwise, Supine and Phlegmatic are the next strongest, and would represent the social and leadership skills (Basically, the INP and NF).
So that would fit.

Well, I came up with my own answers, but I didn't have another source to check me:

Choleric: 34
Phlegmatic: 61
Melancholic: 66
Sanguine: 47
Supine: 66

So the ranking is like this:

Melancholic=Supine
Phlegmatic
Sanguine
Choleric

I don't quite know what to do with that, but there it is. Does the fairly high phlegmatic score count for anything, or should I disregard that in favor of Supine and Melancholic, which tied?

That would be another good fit!
Melancholy=INJ
Supine=NF

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That would be another good fit!
Melancholy=INJ
Supine=NF

Right, that's what I would have thought.

It's pretty obvious that Choleric and Sanguine aren't a major part of my temperament. But I am curious as to why my Phlegmatic score is so high, and what that could indicate about me along with the other scores. I mean, what kind of unusual tendencies for my type and temperament could the high Phlegmatic score explain?

Sorry if I sound like I'm nitpicking. It just kind of stood out to me, because 5 more points and it would have tied with the other two.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of didn't touch that, because of the strong Melancholy. :eek:uch: I expected INFP's to be strongest in Supine and/or Phlegmatic.
The same with Little Linguist, who I considered ISFJ for, but is probably ENFP after all.

So perhaps it's the same things I said for her. The Melancholy can be an uncorresponded third area, Affection (deep personal relations, similar in concept to Enneagram's "sexual". Again, sorry there is not free version of the full test). Then, otherwise, Supine and Phlegmatic are the next strongest, and would represent the social and leadership skills (Basically, the INP and NF).
So that would fit.

I'll have to read into this later. I need to go for now. But you're onto something here. I totally don't relate to Supine. Then again I am a weird INFP. But yeah I'll be posting here later to get more into this and ask more questions.

I am a 9w8 sx/so/sp for enneagram. So the sexual instinct theory of yours makes sense.

Thanks.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
After reading into this more (reading what you've posted Eric B) I'd say that I'm a Phlegmatic mostly, and not a Melancholy main. I just don't really fit what you're describing about the Melancholy, I'm not shy and I don't have a "response delay". I'm just... moderate.

Are there any websites where we can read about these temperaments? I get the feeling that I'll fit Phlegmatic more.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
After reading into this more (reading what you've posted Eric B) I'd say that I'm a Phlegmatic mostly, and not a Melancholy main. I just don't really fit what you're describing about the Melancholy, I'm not shy and I don't have a "response delay". I'm just... moderate.

Are there any websites where we can read about these temperaments? I get the feeling that I'll fit Phlegmatic more.

I hope he doesn't mind, but here's a link to his website: Temperament for Dummies

:p

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does "reaction time" exactly mean in this sense? As a phlegmatic what would a "slow response" time mean?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gah all of this is so unclear. I just cannot read that website, it's too disorganized... I still have no idea. lol I don't see anything specific that describes each temperament... just a bunch of paragraphs with a bunch of random crap in them. But from what I've read I fit Phlegmatic.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Right, that's what I would have thought.

It's pretty obvious that Choleric and Sanguine aren't a major part of my temperament. But I am curious as to why my Phlegmatic score is so high, and what that could indicate about me along with the other scores. I mean, what kind of unusual tendencies for my type and temperament could the high Phlegmatic score explain?

Sorry if I sound like I'm nitpicking. It just kind of stood out to me, because 5 more points and it would have tied with the other two.

Sorry that I missed your question about the Phlegmatic this morning.
That could mean several things. There are three areas in the full theory, the first two seeming to correspond well to Interaction Styles, and the Keirsey temperaments respectively. Since you have a third strong temperament, that could be the third area.
Another possibility is that NF corresponds better to a combination of Supine and Phlegmatic. The pure Supine in the leadership area is very dependent, while the pure Phlegmatic has very low energy. Neither seems well represented in the temperament groups, but a combination called Supine Phlegmatic (or on FIRO, the "Checker") might be more of a match.
Also, Phlegmatic is blended with the other temperaments as well, so your Melancholy (Chart the Course-INJ) could be blended with Phlegmatic as well. what that means is that you would either express or respond moderately. Expressing as a Phlegmatic is basically ambiversion. Responding as a Phlegmatic would mean that you are midway between Directing and Informing, but slightly on the directive side since it is blended with Melancholy.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll have to read into this later. I need to go for now. But you're onto something here. I totally don't relate to Supine. Then again I am a weird INFP. But yeah I'll be posting here later to get more into this and ask more questions.

I am a 9w8 sx/so/sp for enneagram. So the sexual instinct theory of yours makes sense.

Thanks.
INFP can be either Supine or Phlegmatic or both.
Also, one way to get an idea of the five temperaments is that they seem to correspond well to the Enneagram types:

5 Melancholy
6 Supine
7 Sanguine
8 Choleric
9 Phlegmatic
1-4 seem to be moderate combinations

After reading into this more (reading what you've posted Eric B) I'd say that I'm a Phlegmatic mostly, and not a Melancholy main. I just don't really fit what you're describing about the Melancholy, I'm not shy
That's good, as that makes it fit even more.
and I don't have a "response delay". I'm just... moderate.
What does "reaction time" exactly mean in this sense? As a phlegmatic what would a "slow response" time mean?
[From Visitor Message]just not too clear on what "expression" and what "reacting" exactly means according to this theory along with the other stuff.
Response-delay is simply the time it takes you to respond to something. Extraverts will have a shorter delay, and introverts will have a longer delay. Response-delay became known as "expressiveness". Extroverts tend to be more expressive, while introverts less so. Keep in mind that in the ancient theory, the Phlegmatic was considered an introvert, with a long delay. Hence, being slow like "phlegm". In five temperament theory, it is basically moderate or ambiverted, while Supine is low in expressiveness.

Response sustain is how long the person holds onto their reaction. Melancholies and Cholerics, for instance, will hold on to reactions such as anger, such that it often characterizes their temperament. Sanguines and Phlegmatics will get over reactions quicker, and thus generally come across as more friendly. (Since Sanguines will also get over pleasant reactions quickly as well, they seek constant stimulation).
This also became known as responsiveness (not "reaction", though it deals with reactions). Sanguines and Phlegmatics tend to be more responsive to people, and Melancholies and Cholerics less so, as they are more focused on tasks. So this also is people vs task orientation. It also corresponds in the Interaction Styles model as directing vs informing. Those with longer sustain will tend to direct, while those with shorter sustain will tend to inform. It can also loosely match "Neuroticism", but in the FFM it is actually a closer match to Agreeableness.
Again, in five temperament theory, the Phlegmatic is moderate in the scale, while Supine is high.

So the way the two factors come down in this theory, expressive behavior is how we approach people and responsive behavior is how much we "want" people to approach us.

Gah all of this is so unclear. I just cannot read that website, it's too disorganized... I still have no idea. lol I don't see anything specific that describes each temperament... just a bunch of paragraphs with a bunch of random crap in them. But from what I've read I fit Phlegmatic.
:eek:uch: :rolleyes:Well, gee, I tried to lay it out from scratch, building up the theory beginning with the two factors, and how they make up the temperaments.

I did briefly describe the original four temperaments, (figuring they were already known) and then went into a more lengthy discussion of the new temperament. There's also the interactive graphic, from the same guys who did this test we are using here.

Just curious; how would you suggest the page be better organized?
I have come to realize it may be too wordy and technical for many people, so nowadays, I tend to point people to this new site set up by a ministry that offers the full five temperament test (And I did link to it at the bottom):

Temperaments.Info Welcome

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That was an older site. The one I have just linked to above has much more information, and you can also order the test (this is the full, non-free one, be advised).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
That was an older site. The one I have just linked to above has much more information, and you can also order the test (this is the full, non-free one, be advised).

You should also note that not only does it cost money, it's also Christian-exclusive. So it's really not even worth a look for us agnostics.