• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Five Temperaments test!

G

garbage

Thanks.
It seems like you're trying to get that Choleric out front (Even though Supine came out strongest). That's understandable, as Supine is a very sensitive temperament, and Choleric is the strong and tough one that's good to confront a tough world with. So we end up almost wishing we the the full-Choleric ENTJ, as mentioned.
But in the full Five Temperament theory, "Supine-Choleric" does not indicate strengths, but rather Supine in social skills, and Choleric in leadership skills, and that seems to match xNP + NT.

Okay, yeah.. you got me there. I can relate to that. Putting some front out there is definitely an Enneagram 3 thing :doh:

.. and you got me here, too, because I relate to 6 pretty well.

But Supine and Choleric as opposites on both the "expressed" and "task-oriented" axes.. how does the combination of the two work? A lot of internal conflict? Versatility and balance?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Response-delay is simply the time it takes you to respond to something. Extraverts will have a shorter delay, and introverts will have a longer delay. Response-delay became known as "expressiveness". Extroverts tend to be more expressive, while introverts less so. Keep in mind that in the ancient theory, the Phlegmatic was considered an introvert, with a long delay. Hence, being slow like "phlegm". In five temperament theory, it is basically moderate or ambiverted, while Supine is low in expressiveness.

So in the five temperaments theory we're using I'm just moderate. Sounds good.

Response sustain is how long the person holds onto their reaction. Melancholies and Cholerics, for instance, will hold on to reactions such as anger, such that it often characterizes their temperament. Sanguines and Phlegmatics will get over reactions quicker, and thus generally come across as more friendly. (Since Sanguines will also get over pleasant reactions quickly as well, they seek constant stimulation).
This also became known as responsiveness (not "reaction", though it deals with reactions). Sanguines and Phlegmatics tend to be more responsive to people, and Melancholies and Cholerics less so, as they are more focused on tasks. So this also is people vs task orientation. It also corresponds in the Interaction Styles model as directing vs informing. Those with longer sustain will tend to direct, while those with shorter sustain will tend to inform. It can also loosely match "Neuroticism", but in the FFM it is actually a closer match to Agreeableness.
Again, in five temperament theory, the Phlegmatic is moderate in the scale, while Supine is high.

Still Phlegmatic then.

:Just curious; how would you suggest the page be better organized?
I have come to realize it may be too wordy and technical for many people

I'd say organize it. Make a history section, how the theory has evolved etc for those of us that are interested. Make a section for each type. Make a section for the meanings of response time and response sustain. Make a section for subtyping. Make lots of bolded and centered titles, with larger text for easier browsing. When I went on your site I was looking for a Phlegmatic description, and I saw a giant GIANT mass of words and I was like :eek:.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got Melancholy....sounds right too.

Phlegmatic & Supine were almost tied for 2nd. I suppose it would help to get friends/family to do the test for me too.

My own scoring:

Melancholy = 69
Phlegmatic = 39
Supine = 38
Choleric = 27
Sanguine = 22

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should also note that not only does it cost money, it's also Christian-exclusive. So it's really not even worth a look for us agnostics.
Sorry 'bout that. Meant to mention it. Yes, that is specifically a Christian Counseling instrument.
There used to be a copycat instrument called the Worley ID Profile, which used a different questionnaire, and had to change the names of Supine (i.e. "Introverted Sanguine") and FIRO's three areas and two factors. Otherwise, it was identical, and was not specifically Christian. (But it was still not free I don't think).
But it seems it has gone under, with the domain for sale. Here is the Internet Archive version: WIDP: Worley Identification Discovery Profile

Okay, yeah.. you got me there. I can relate to that. Putting some front out there is definitely an Enneagram 3 thing :doh:

... and you got me here, too, because I relate to 6 pretty well.
You're obviously a bit more on the extrovert side than me. I generally come out 4, 5 and 6; (mostly 5; never 3).
But Supine and Choleric as opposites on both the "expressed" and "task-oriented" axes.. how does the combination of the two work? A lot of internal conflict?
Ohh, yes!!
roll2.gif

The Supine is pulling you to be shy yet friendly, waiting to be invited, etc, and the Choleric is pulling you to be aggressive and take no mess and go for what you want. Hard to know when to fight or flight. The Choleric steps on people's toes, and then the Supine can't deal with their reactions.
Versatility and balance?
I would say this, too, as The Choleric keeps you from being a total doormat, and the Supine gives you mercy and peaceableness when angry.

The other diametric opposite combination like that is Sanguine-Melancholy (which would equate to an ESFJ). Their conflict is between having carefree fun and being orderly.

So in the five temperaments theory we're using I'm just moderate. Sounds good.

Still Phlegmatic then.
Great!
rainbow.gif

I'd say organize it. Make a history section, how the theory has evolved etc for those of us that are interested. Make a section for each type. Make a section for the meanings of response time and response sustain. Make a section for subtyping. Make lots of bolded and centered titles, with larger text for easier browsing. When I went on your site I was looking for a Phlegmatic description, and I saw a giant GIANT mass of words and I was like :eek:.

OK, thanks for the input.
As for the History, that was what the link in the second paragraph to this article: Two-factor models of personality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was for. That breaks down the whole evolution. (Believe it or not, I was trying to keep the page as short as possible, hence linking to the history and temperament descriptions elsewhere).

I might add the descriptions of response delay/sustain I just wrote above, as I like how I put them.

What do you mean by "subtyping"?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you mean by "subtyping"?

On the page it mentioned that there were subtypes of the type, like you could have a mix of the two? Phlegmatics could have subtypes then it said in some other theory the other types could too.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I keep seeing this "Five Love Languages" discussed here: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/online-personality-tests/18965-mbti-5-love-languages.html and sometimes elswhere, I sometimes wondered if there was any parallel with the five temperaments.

My wife and I had the book years ago, and IIRC, her biggest was physical touch, and mine was words of affirmation (But I actually had a hard time deciding which, and had to use process of elimination in terms of not getting the opposite {negative} of the language).

This would seem to match the Affection area of the five temperaments. Affection is the third area covering "deep personal relationship" skills that does not map neatly to Interaction Style (surface social skills) and Keirsey temperament (leadership skills), though it would be closer to Interaction Style.

In the Affection Area, she's Sanguine Phlegmatic (a Sanguine with only a moderate rather than high need for affection), and I'm Supine Compulsive (A Supine with a greater need, at the same time as a greater inhibition from experessing affection or the need for it).

So it looks like it might be:

Words of Affirmation: Supine (their biggest need)
Acts of Service: Choleric (like to be served)
Physical Touch: Sanguine (Sanguines are very into the physical)
Quality Time: ?
Receiving Gifts: ?
(Melancholy, Phlegmatic; Have to check the manuals to see which fit which better).

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
Supine = 59
Phlegmatic = 54
Melancholic = 53
Sanguine = 25
Choleric = 25

Supine-Phlegmatic (or Phlegmatic-Melancholic if it's just the 4 temperaments)

uta

MBTI Type
INFJ
Five Temperaments spreadsheet

I made an Exel spreadsheet that can score the simple Five Temperaments test. If anyone wants it, let me know.

My score is:
Supine: 83
Phlegmatic: 37
Melancholy: 36
Sanguine: 33
Choleric: 27

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Supine: 9, Melancholy: 8, Sanguine/Phlegmatic: 7
Well, personally. I have yet to get someone else to help me out.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Supine: 9, Melancholy: 8, Sanguine/Phlegmatic: 7
Well, personally. I have yet to get someone else to help me out.
What did Choleric come out as? Lower than the others?

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Supine > Melancholy > Phlegmatic > Sanguine > Choleric

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) Sanguine
2) Supine
3) Phlegmatic
4) Melancholic
5) Choleric

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another great match!

Velvet_Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hi! Do you know of any other tests that cover all five temperaments? I tried the old links, and they are both down. (I'm also on a kindle fire so I can't print from here.) :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess they took that down, or let it expire or whatever.
It was just picking traits out of a list for each temperament.

I've since used this instead: http://www.temperaments.info/Free-Temperament-Reports/Free-Temperament-Reports.htm
It sorts the temperaments according to the three areas (Inclusion, Control, and Affection), instead of "strengths", which is much more accurate.

Pick one out of each of the three areas. Since there are 17 in each area, start with the five pure temperaments. If they're too extreme, then try the compound versions that are blended with Phlegmatic. If not extreme enough, then try the Compulsive version.

The real test this is based on is expensive (though even more accurate, you can order it through that site), but this way will give you an idea.