User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Default How Well Can You Read Emotions?

So, there are arguably many ways to define emotional intelligence, but the New York Times reported last fall that people who read fiction tend to be more able to read other people's emotional state based on visual cues.

How well can you read other people's emotions? I'm curious to see what the average score on the forum will be. Amongst my Facebook friends, it seemed to land around 26. The highest possible score is 36.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/well-quiz-the-mind-behind-the-eyes/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Understanding Your Score
    The average score for this test is in the range of 22 to 30 correct responses. If you scored above 30, you may be quite good at understanding someone’s mental state based on facial cues. If you scored below 22, you may find it difficult to understand a person’s mental state based on their appearance.

RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

MBTI
    Meow
    Enneagram
    :0) so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ne

31/36. I do read a lot of fiction though so that's probably why I scored this high.

"Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high.
    Then life seems almost enchanted after all."
    - Vincent van Gogh

johari/nohari

infp 4w5 ?w? 9w? so=sp>sx

Socionics
    ILI

I got 31 out of 36, but I felt as though this was extremely hard. I ended up just deciding on what seemed right almost every time, and I got distracted a few times by some attractive eyes. I enjoy fiction a bit more than non-fiction.

MBTI
    yupp

19/36
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

LadyLazarus

30/36, I just kind of went with my instincts.I have a strong preference for fiction.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

29 I read a lot of fiction but not the kind that is supposed to make you better at this kind of thing.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

SCORE:34/36

Understanding Your Score
    The average score for this test is in the range of 22 to 30 correct responses. If you scored above 30, you may be quite good at understanding someone’s mental state based on facial cues. If you scored below 22, you may find it difficult to understand a person’s mental state based on their appearance.

edit: a note on what I read.

I read off and on, for a long time now I haven't read all that much fiction. However in the last couple of years I've been reading classics and modern classics, which I very much enjoy but I am a slow reader and don't read that many in a year.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    864 sx/so

I got 32/36. On two of them, I second guessed my instinct. Would've had 34 out of 36!

Used to read compulsively, but not nearly as much for the last few years. I read more nonfiction and articles online than fiction nowadays, but I've started getting back into fiction again. At any given time, I'm partway through a novel and/or a story collection. Not sure what it has to do with guessing emotional states based on visual cues except you might be more practiced at inhabiting another person's emotional landscape and thought process. Dunno.

ETA: if the study alluded to in the OP is the one where they attempted to pit literary fiction against popular fiction and nonfiction, I see less of a reason to correlate reading fiction with reading expressions. That study was too limited, and I didn't like the way they selected excerpts. Most of what I read falls under the umbrella of speculative fiction with the occasional historical, romance, or literary novel. If fiction were to help me gauge others' moods, it certainly wouldn't be the literary kind. And don't they realize some fiction crosses genres (like literary SF) and some literary novels make it onto bestseller lists?

I doubt the wankier fiction I've seen in literary journals would be any more beneficial than Danielle Steele for encouraging empathy.

MBTI
    yupp

I don't get how reading fiction would help with this. I used to read tons of fiction, and never been good at reading facial expressions
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes noyo liked this post

WALMART

18/36