• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Language/Dialects Test

S

Stansmith

I don't even think I have a New York accent, but it got my location right.

Most Similar Cities
1 New York NY 60.0
2 Yonkers NY 59.8
3 Newark NJ 59.3
4 Stamford CT 59.0
5 Boston MA 58.2

Least Similar Cities
1 Toledo OH 22.8
2 Rockford IL 23.7
3 South Bend IN 24.4
4 Detroit MI 24.6
5 Grand Rapids MI 25.0

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I've been trying to load the site for about ten minutes without luck.

They need to beef up the servers.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dialect Quiz & Survey
The dialect quiz & survey is currently closed. Thank you to everyone who has participated so far.

I expect to re-open the survey sometime in the coming months. In the meantime, feel free to browse the interactive dialect maps or take a look at the aggregate dialect similarity maps, both based on data from the original Harvard Dialect Survey. Thanks!

Joshua Katz
Dept. of Statistics
NC State University
@jshkatz
Hosted by RStudio. Powered by Shiny.

:thumbdown::wtf::cry:

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aww, I can't believe I missed this. :( Although now I understand why I feel a bit ostracized after moving all the way from California to New York for college.

edit: wow what an anticlimactic 500th post.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I lost my results when I tried to copy the image location of the map.

I'll do the 25 question tomorrow.

My most like cities were Gainesville FL and Orlando, and then some town in TX, and then Springhill FL.

Pretty damn accurate.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm sad that I missed the other one :(

Well, I took this test: http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=9827 and got:

Which American accent do you have?

Neutral

You`re not Northern, Southern, or Western, you`re just plain -American-. Your national identity is more important than your local identity, because you don`t really have a local identity. You might be from the region in that map, which is defined by this kind of accent, but you could easily not be. Or maybe you just moved around a lot growing up.

This makes sense since I mostly have a General American accent because of where I'm from. I guess I missed my calling as a newscaster.

kquirk

amateur cartographer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Which American accent do you have?

My Results:

Northern. You have a Northern accent. That could either be the Chicago/Detroit/Cleveland/Buffalo accent (easily recognizable) or the Western New England accent that news networks go for.

yup.

Not as good as that other one though, which really narrowed it down and got me spot on. (I never saved those results.) I kind of don't like being included with Chicago, Minnesota, and some other places, but I definitely live in the middle of that yellow area.