First 4567 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Hey Southern Kross!

Thanks for your reply; my follow up comments are below...

Halla's Dad = Atlanta, Georgia
    Halla's Mama = Rheinzabern, Germany

Absolutely. The bulk of my profane vocabulary is my Father's; and my Mama taught me all the rest I needed to know.
    In all seriousness, this makes perfect sense - and I can think of phrases/expressions that I use regularly in conversation yet I know I picked them up from one of my parents.
    However, as far as the locales my dialect seems to have a lot in common with - my quiz results seem even more skewed now.

Both, actually.
    My Mother is German, I was born there, and lived there until age 5, and then again from 7 through 9 years of age.
    I spoke German almost exclusively until about the age of three, at which point in time my Dad realized got word that he would likely receive orders for a new command within the next year or two.
    So, at that point we began speaking more English at home to get me caught up and ready to live in the U.S.A.

I've noticed the accents/dialects of each region I've lived.
    If anything I've made a consistent effort NOT to pick one up, yet I can easily mimic any of them at the drop of a hat.
    It's funny to me because my wife's relatives (from the Atlantic City, NJ area) tell both of us that we sound Southern to them; however friends of ours from many parts of the Southeast U.S. have told us that we don't sound Southern at all.
    I guess part of that is relativity at play.

These results are indeed intriguing to me, because they don't make sense to me, and now I get to ponder on it and try to figure it out.

Have a great evening!

-Halla74
    How interesting!

I would think that kids that move around a lot (especially between countries) are a great deal more adaptable to local culture and are probably more attuned to the little idiosyncrasies of a region (including language).

It's strange that a short period in a couple of places stuck with you more than others. Is Carlisle a military town too? I was just thinking, maybe it's because military bases tend to be quite an amalgamation of people and accents, and that homogenised your language/speech in a way that wasn't specific to start with - that is, until you lived in places with more distinct and uniform dialects/accents. That might have solidified it for you. OTOH it could just be the age you were at that time is a more formative period for children in terms of developing speech patterns.

BTW can you still speak German or have you lost most of it?
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Tricky. So what do you call them?

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post

These tiny creatures have really flummoxed you.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

These tiny creatures have really flummoxed you.
    I don't know if I'd go as far as to say 'flummoxed', but they're not common here and we just don't have words for every little bug crawling around.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

How interesting!
    Thanks so much!

I would think that kids that move around a lot (especially between countries) are a great deal more adaptable to local culture and are probably more attuned to the little idiosyncrasies of a region (including language).
    Absolutely, I was, and still am, adaptable to local culture, however I am also cognizant that whatever the local culture is - it is not my own including the "localized language" - so I might have consciously pushed back against it from move to move simply for the sake of being able to retain my own core identity, while still being able to enjoy the people and ways of my new surroundings.

It's strange that a short period in a couple of places stuck with you more than others.
    Agreed. Considering the tight grouping of the places on the map presented at the end of my quiz (3 cities in a row, all in chronological order) - I cannot help but consider that those places imprinted on me more so than others - whether I knew it or not.

Is Carlisle a military town too?
    Yes, it is the site of the U.S. Army War College.
    Assignment there is typically to attend a 1-year curriculum to qualify candidates for promotion from Lieutenant Colonel to Colonel.

I was just thinking, maybe it's because military bases tend to be quite an amalgamation of people and accents, and that homogenised your language/speech in a way that wasn't specific to start with - that is, until you lived in places with more distinct and uniform dialects/accents. That might have solidified it for you.
    I think you've summarized things very nicely above.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.
    It is very likely that I began speaking English from a very "sterile" and non-dialectic perspective, and then wound up being influenced by the commonality of dialect/language of the three locales that I lived in during that span of my childhood.

OTOH it could just be the age you were at that time is a more formative period for children in terms of developing speech patterns.
    Another very good point; I would not rule that out either.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head that is potentially relevant is that the Mid-Atlantic states were the first settled, the first to be bought out and taxed, and the first left by pioneers - who ultimately settled west and/or South in an effort to have a chance at being landowners. -AND-

Those pioneers settling in all the places they did had had some residual impact of the Mid-Atlantic dialect spreading and propagating (even if it were of partial influence, or morphed over time to form a new local vernacular of sorts) to geographic regions far from the heart of its origin, but long lived in the conversations of the pioneers' descendants up through the present...

BTW can you still speak German or have you lost most of it?
    I can still speak German at a basic level - but sound more German than most who learn it as their second tongue - simply because there are some syllables that are difficult to pronounce unless learned at an early age.
    I can find a train station, order a beer, and ask where the bathroom is - everything else I just communicate with gestures and somehow I get along just fine.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Interesting... the first time I tried posting this, my entire browser locked up on me, so I had to take the test again. It gives you different questions (pulls 25 from some greater number of questions - some were the same, some weren't). My results weren't identical, but they were close. Here's my 2nd run:

Most Similar Cities
    1 Arden-Arcade CA 56.1
    2 Sacramento CA 55.9
    3 Elk Grove CA 55.9
    4 Roseville CA 55.8
    5 San Mateo CA 55.8

Least Similar Cities
    1 Philadelphia PA 39.3
    2 Camden NJ 39.6
    3 Tuscaloosa AL 40.1
    4 Macon GA 40.2
    5 New Orleans LA 40.5

Attachment 10100

Both times I got strong correlations with the west coast, specifically Northern California. I grew up in Idaho (and Texas when I was younger), so this seems pretty realistic... I don't think that most westerners have as many variances in accents as folks in other regions may, so this fits. The funny thing is... the only place on the entire map east of Colorado is a very small patch in St. Louis... which is where I live now. I'm fairly impressed with that.
    Holy smokes, you speak more like a North Central Californian than I do (or I think you do,) and I lived here my whole life. Either that, Or I keep answering some of these questions incorrectly.

Both times, I keep getting Kansas and Okies.... everything West is Orange or Red-Orange (specially North Central California... all the way to Washington State.)

EDIT: I give up, this is the closest, I think.

1: Livonia MI 44.3
    2: Warren MI 44.2
    3: Fremont CA 43.9
    4: Roseville CA 43.8
    5: Arden-Arcade CA 43.7

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Never been to the US. I got:

Most Similar Cities
    1 New York NY 39.7
    2 Elizabeth NJ 39.2
    3 Bridgeport CT 39.2
    4 Danbury CT 39.1
    5 Stamford CT 38.8

Least Similar Cities
    1 Everett WA 28.8
    2 Spokane WA 28.9
    3 Yakima WA 29.1
    4 Wichita KS 29.5
    5 Hillsboro OR 29.9

I guess people from the northeast have a lot of common vocabulary with england and europe in general, being the earliest settlements.

It's not visible from the ranking, but I got a second "red" center around Miami, which I would guess comes from my italian accent.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Most Similar Cities
    1 Elizabeth NJ 54.7
    2 Toms River NJ 54.6
    3 Newark NJ 54.4
    4 Yonkers NY 53.7
    5 Syracuse NY 52.4

Least Similar Cities
    1 Baton Rouge LA 32.3
    2 Metairie LA 33.7
    3 New Orleans LA 33.7
    4 Lafayette LA 33.8
    5 Sioux Falls SD 34.0

Ummm I have never lived in jersey or new york I'm a little offended tbh.

I guess that's what 10 years in Michigan and 10 years in Maryland will do to you.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Grey crustacean is a rolly poley
    Road parallel to the freeway is a service drive

Haha I didn't get the rolly poley question though! Did you take the long form?
    Service road, not drive. Actually, I like frontage road better. And it's a highway, not a freeway. Hmph.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Entertaining Cracker five sounds's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    729 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEE Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Service road, not drive. Actually, I like frontage road better. And it's a highway, not a freeway. Hmph.
    You hem me in -- behind and before;
    you have laid your hand upon me.
    Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.