First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    ...Find out where in the United States your dialect is from by taking this short 25 question quiz: http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/dialectquiz/
    Wow - I'm a bit surprised by this!

Again, the cities cited as most similar to my manner of speaking are predominantly from the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic United States.
    I feel this is primarily a function of the test being driven by selection of words/expressions upon visual cue, as opposed to analysis of an audio (WAV/mp3) file of my voice.
    A while ago there was a thread that asked people to make a short recording of their voices and post it; I did so and will try to dig it up; I don't think I sound like I'm from the Mid-Atlantic, however I apparently use a lot of similar vocabulary as people from that region.

Finally, of greatest interest to me was the map presented with the results of my test:

The "hot spots" - or regions where language used by the locals is of greatest similarity to that of my question responses - are all locales of the U.S. that I lived in for 1 to 2 years as a child.
    Places I've lived since birth to now are listed in order below; the hot spots of the map are bolded:

1974 - 1979 = Heidelberg, Germany
    1979 - 1981 = Fort Hood, Texas
    1981 - 1983 = Frankfurt a.M., Germany
    1983 - 1984 = Carlisle, Pennsylvania
    1984 - 1986 = Indianapolis, Indiana
    1986 - 1988 = St. Louis, Missouri

1988 - 1994 = Reston, Virginia
    1994 - 1996 = Orlando, Florida
    1997 - 1998 = Fairfax, Virginia
    1998 - 2012 = Tallahassee, Florida
    2012 - Present = Virginia Beach, Virginia

So my hypothesis is that between the ages of 9 and 14 the dialect(s) of the regions I lived imprinted on me and have wound up influencing the word choice/terminology I use conversantly.
    Apparently I use a lot of the same words/expressions as people from those regions - but I maintain that I do not sound that way IRL.
    I'll find that audio file in the other post to see if I can substantiate my claim, or be told I'm full of shit, whatever the good people reading this thread and who to reply as such decide.

Most Similar Cities
    1 Newark NJ 47.0
    2 Elizabeth NJ 46.9
    3 Brick NJ 46.7
    4 Hamilton NJ 46.3
    5 Danbury CT 46.1

Least Similar Cities:
    1 Sioux Falls SD 32.0
    2 Duluth MN 33.1
    3 Fargo ND 33.7
    4 Sioux City IA 34.3
    5 Spokane WA 34.6
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm impressed.

Most Similar Cities
    1 Reading PA 46.7
    2 Trenton NJ 44.4
    3 Allentown PA 44.1
    4 Syracuse NY 43.4
    5 Providence RI 43.3

I grew up about 70 miles (?) of Reading, but it's all still part of the lower band of PA and has the same regional dialect, and my parents were actually imports to that area from Bethlehem PA, which is part of the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) metro area in eastern PA.

Least Similar Cities
    1 Norman OK 33.1
    2 Edmond OK 33.1
    3 Oklahoma City OK 33.2
    4 Tulsa OK 33.5
    5 Longview TX 33.7
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Daaaaaang.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Thanks for the link. We do have "woodlice" after all, but not the kind that roll up into a ball to protect themselves.
    Tricky. So what do you call them?

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    lol! i love this story!!! you said you were from new zealand? now, that must be a wicked cool place to live.

What makes you say that? Been watching Lord of the Rings lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Such Irony View Post
    Funny how Fargo ranks number 1, I've only been there a couple of times and NO, I DO NOT TALK LIKE THE PEOPLE IN THE FARGO MOVIE.

Awwww. Don't ruin it with the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    So my hypothesis is that between the ages of 9 and 14 the dialect(s) of the regions I lived imprinted on me and have wound up influencing the word choice/terminology I use conversantly.
    Apparently I use a lot of the same words/expressions as people from those regions - but I maintain that I do not sound that way IRL.
    I'll find that audio file in the other post to see if I can substantiate my claim, or be told I'm full of shit, whatever the good people reading this thread and who to reply as such decide.
    Where are you parents from Halla? They can have a lot of influence on the words you use.

And are you an army kid or are you actually German?

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post

Daaaaaang.

That is one confusing map.

You must have some sort of Frankenstein accent.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    You must have some sort of Frankenstein accent.
    Yeah, I dunno. I've lived in Texas all of my life (minus one year overseas), so I get my similarity with most of the southern states, but those random Northern ones are a bit odd.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

It seems thoroughly convinced that I am from Washington.

It almost had the right idea, though. You can see that western PA is pretty red.

img-2013-09-028140.jpg

Most Similar Cities
    1 Yakima WA 58.3
    2 Tacoma WA 57.5
    3 Everett WA 57.1
    4 Kent WA 56.1
    5 Spokane WA 56.1

Least Similar Cities
    1 Philadelphia PA 39.0
    2 Camden NJ 40.8
    3 Lafayette LA 41.8
    4 New Orleans LA 42.1
    5 Metairie LA 42.1

EDIT: A lot of these expressions that I've never heard before astonish me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtP

Interesting... the first time I tried posting this, my entire browser locked up on me, so I had to take the test again. It gives you different questions (pulls 25 from some greater number of questions - some were the same, some weren't). My results weren't identical, but they were close. Here's my 2nd run:

Most Similar Cities
    1 Arden-Arcade CA 56.1
    2 Sacramento CA 55.9
    3 Elk Grove CA 55.9
    4 Roseville CA 55.8
    5 San Mateo CA 55.8

Least Similar Cities
    1 Philadelphia PA 39.3
    2 Camden NJ 39.6
    3 Tuscaloosa AL 40.1
    4 Macon GA 40.2
    5 New Orleans LA 40.5

dialectmap.jpg

Both times I got strong correlations with the west coast, specifically Northern California. I grew up in Idaho (and Texas when I was younger), so this seems pretty realistic... I don't think that most westerners have as many variances in accents as folks in other regions may, so this fits. The funny thing is... the only place on the entire map east of Colorado is a very small patch in St. Louis... which is where I live now. I'm fairly impressed with that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Hey Southern Kross!

Thanks for your reply; my follow up comments are below...

Where are you parents from Halla?
    Halla's Dad = Atlanta, Georgia
    Halla's Mama = Rheinzabern, Germany

They can have a lot of influence on the words you use.
    Absolutely. The bulk of my profane vocabulary is my Father's; and my Mama taught me all the rest I needed to know.
    In all seriousness, this makes perfect sense - and I can think of phrases/expressions that I use regularly in conversation yet I know I picked them up from one of my parents.
    However, as far as the locales my dialect seems to have a lot in common with - my quiz results seem even more skewed now.

And are you an army kid or are you actually German?
    Both, actually.
    My Mother is German, I was born there, and lived there until age 5, and then again from 7 through 9 years of age.
    I spoke German almost exclusively until about the age of three, at which point in time my Dad realized got word that he would likely receive orders for a new command within the next year or two.
    So, at that point we began speaking more English at home to get me caught up and ready to live in the U.S.A.

I've noticed the accents/dialects of each region I've lived.
    If anything I've made a consistent effort NOT to pick one up, yet I can easily mimic any of them at the drop of a hat.
    It's funny to me because my wife's relatives (from the Atlantic City, NJ area) tell both of us that we sound Southern to them; however friends of ours from many parts of the Southeast U.S. have told us that we don't sound Southern at all.
    I guess part of that is relativity at play.

These results are indeed intriguing to me, because they don't make sense to me, and now I get to ponder on it and try to figure it out.

Have a great evening!

-Halla74
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Attachment 10101

Most Similar Cities
    1 Fresno CA 55.5
    2 Clovis CA 55.5
    3 Visalia CA 55.5
    4 Salinas CA 55.3
    5 San Mateo CA 55.2

Least Similar Cities
    1 Duluth MN 47.6
    2 New York NY 48.5
    3 Waterbury CT 48.6
    4 Providence RI 48.6
    5 Elizabeth NJ 48.7

Makes sense to me. I've heard that I have a pretty standard Hollywood accent (even though I've only been to California once, for a week). As for the other red splotches... Texas makes sense, since my grandmother was from San Antonio, and the Maryland/VA/DC area being red makes sense since I went to school there for three years. As for the rest... no idea!

From this map (esp. the CA thing), it looks like somehow I avoided all three primary dialect influences, growing up, or they somehow merged into something less distinctive: my dad is from the Carolinas via Kentucky, my mother is from northern Louisiana, and I grew up in the Rocky Mountain west. So unlike my parents, I don't pronounce "pen" and "pin" the same and I don't pronounce the days of the week like "Mond-ee tues-dee wednes-dee"... but unlike my regional peers, I don't use paper baygs and I don't fish at the crick. On the other hand... if you heard me talk, I'm pretty nasal, in a way that you wouldn't associate with California or the South at all. People usually assume my accent is either nasal Californian or subdued Midwestern... because people forget the Rocky Mountain region even exists, let alone that it has an accent and slang of its own.

(p.s. I appreciate the fact that my hometown is actually within the bright red area! I was worried that it wouldn't be.)
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!