First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Honor View Post
    Interesting! I would've thought that Texas and the Midwest would have been quite distinct.
    Me too. Maybe I have no idea what I sound like.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Me too. Maybe I have no idea what I sound like.
    lol! I think the same for me too because I do not at all sound like I'm from the Boston area, and I've never even been there. But all of my top 5 results were in Massachusetts.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

Most Similar Cities
    1: Olathe KS 48.8
    2: Wichita KS 48.3
    3: Tulsa OK 48.0
    4: Lawrence KS 47.9
    5: Norman OK 47.6

Least Similar Cities
    1: Waterbury CT 29.9
    2: Reading PA 29.9
    3: New Haven CT 30.3
    4: Philadelphia PA 30.7
    5: Providence RI 31.2

Kansas and Oklahoma, places I have never been to before. What it has gotten right is all that red/orange in Northern California.

Third time.... Close enough

1: Livonia MI 44.3
    2: Warren MI 44.2
    3: Fremont CA 43.9
    4: Roseville CA 43.8
    5: Arden-Arcade CA 43.7

I give up.
    Last edited by Rail Tracer; 09-02-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Actually, now that I think about it, it is reasonable that I would have more of a Midland-like accent precisely because of where I live. Many of the people in Kansas and Oklahoma moved to California (especially Central California) during the Dust Bowl. Because of that, their way of speaking ended up melding with the lesser populated Central California speech(and where most of the farming and smaller cities are at,) at least phonetically. Grammatically, however, that is a different story. The whole thing about "anymore" is foreign to me. But I could probably live in Kansas, Oklahoma, or Missouri and sound almost like a native until my grammatical ways of speaking gives it away.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by nicolita View Post
    Super interesting! I bet they chose it based on your pronunciations of words more than specific vocabulary. New England accents are the closest American accents to British English since that area was pretty much exclusively British colonists for a long time. That's why they drop their /r/ sound a lot (pahk the cah is the American descendent of the British "pawk the caw"). NZ's accent is obviously heavily influenced by the British too. I wouldn't be surprised if the more nuanced pronunciation differences (like vowel sound differences and emphasized syllables) followed the same patterns to some extent.
    The English 'r' is even more prominent than the NZ version (although it's equally silly to generalise about British or English accents because they're so varied). *The English pronounce it, just more softly than most Americans (ie. it sounds like a 'w' to you but this at least resembles the letter 'r' in sound). *Here, we don't say it at all except if it's combined with a consonant (even then we try to avoid it). *Actually, you'd think we were trying to destroy consonants altogether.

Who knew we had such a distinct accent in Michigan!? I knew we spoke Midwest-y, but how specifically they're callin out southeast Michigan is pretty funny to me. Are we really that distinct?
    I imagined it would be Midwest-y with a Canadian-esque twist. But then what would I know?

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    They don't even exist here, so feel free to call 'em whatever you want.

What's weirder for me is the gamut of terms for things that we don't have at all, like the 'slater' or 'rolly poley'. We don't have little grey crustaceans skittering around. The only crustaceans here are cooked and served for dinner!
    They look like creepy little insects, about a centimetre long and live in your wood pile. I occasionally see them in the garden too. Maybe you do have them, but if you didn't have a fireplace or don't work with wood, you wouldn't see them much.

EDIT: After some research, it seems that Wikipedia calls it a "woodlouse", and it practically has a different name in every country (and even within some countries, it seems)

My favorite question was 'What do you say when someone sneezes?' Amongst an array of options like, "Bless you" and "Gesundheit" was "I don't say anything." lmao
    Some friends of mine came back from several months travelling in the US and they joked about how much Americans say these things after you sneeze. They thought it was hilarious that if you sneeze in a public place, 5 people will desperately leap out at you and say "bless you!", like their lives depended on it.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    They look like creepy little insects, about a centimetre long and live in your wood pile. I occasionally see them in the garden too. Maybe you do have them, but if you didn't have a fireplace or don't work with wood, you wouldn't see them much.

EDIT: After some research, it seems that Wikipedia calls it a "woodlouse", and it practically has a different name in every country (and even within some countries, it seems)
    Thanks for the link. We do have "woodlice" after all, but not the kind that roll up into a ball to protect themselves.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Some friends of mine came back from several months travelling in the US and they joked about how much Americans say these things after you sneeze. They thought it was hilarious that if you sneeze in a public place, 5 people will desperately leap out at you and say "bless you!", like their lives depended on it.
    lol! i love this story!!! you said you were from new zealand? now, that must be a wicked cool place to live.
    RobertCalifornia: TL thinks im black
    RobertCalifornia: shes my homegurl
    Hive: arent you
    SpankyMcfly: wait... you arent?

thoughtlost: I am not really religious. I just like getting free stuff from churches.

I took it but my post on results got wiped. Unsurprisingly my top 5 were all in MA. I think falmouth, fall river, etc, south shore towns, but maybe lowell too.

On the map the northeast was red and a weird swath just inland of the pacific northwest.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Most Similar Cities
    1 Fargo ND 44.5
    2 Minneapolis MN 43.7
    3 Bloomington MN 43.4
    4 Rochester MN 41.5
    5 Rockford IL 40.5

Least Similar Cities
    1 Toms River NJ 28.2
    2 Newark NJ 28.8
    3 Philadelphia PA 28.9
    4 Hamilton NJ 28.9
    5 Camden NJ 29.3

My city was ranked number 2.

Funny how Fargo ranks number 1, I've only been there a couple of times and NO, I DO NOT TALK LIKE THE PEOPLE IN THE FARGO MOVIE.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

This one's for Professor @nicolita! Find out where in the United States your dialect is from by taking this short 25 question quiz: http://spark.rstudio.com/jkatz/dialectquiz/.

Most Similar:
    1 New Bedford MA 48.2
    2 Falmouth MA 48.0
    3 Fall River MA 47.5
    4 Plymouth MA 47.0
    5 Brockton MA 46.4

Least Similar:
    1 Duluth MN 30.9
    2 Green Bay WI 31.4
    3 Madison WI 31.8
    4 Rockford IL 31.8
    5 Minneapolis MN 31.9

Funny. I've never been to Massachusetts, but I guess I should go and meet some people who speak like me. (The place I am from did show up on the map as very red, though, so this test was accurate for me outside of naming the top 5 cities.)
    Can't access the server ATM, so I took the quiz at the link posted by 93JC for the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    I don't agree with the results from the quiz I took at the link above.

It claims my accent/dialect is:

"Mid-Atlantic"

My wife's aunt and uncle are from Atlantic City, and I lived in Pennsylvania for one year when I was 9 years old - so I know what the "Mid-Atlantic" accent sounds like, and that is not how my voice sounds.
    Looking forward to taking the other quiz to compare the results.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro