• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Metaphysician Test: Immanent Ethereal Reality

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The Metaphysician Test
The Kantian
You scored xxx Materialism and yyy Phenomenology!

Are things-in-themselves knowable, or can you only know things as they appear to you? The mystery of the noumena is at once your greatest challenge and the most distinctive part of your identity, Kantian. You've taken the tradition of your Idealist and Rationalist forebears and synthesized it with the Empiricism of Hume, but still your metaphysics, which orbit around the idea that the universe is essentially unknowable, haunt you. Thinkers you may agree with: Immanuel Kant, G.W.F. Hegel, Schopenhauer Thinkers that may challenge you: Friedrich Neitzsche, Soren Kierkegaard, Charles Darwin
Be sure to take the test and to post your results too!

G

garbage

The Existentialist

Spending equal time in the material and phenomenological realms, the deep thinker, condemned to be free, you are the Existentialist. Life to you is about choices, and those choices occur not only within the physical environment but the context provided by our individual perceptions and self-moulded codes of behavior. You could be a Christian, agnostic, or atheist existentialist, the philosophy doesn't really force you to choose anything on that front, but while others are merely content with what is, you stand apart by concerning yourself with what it is to be. Thinkers you may agree with: Jean-Paul Sartre, Soren Kierkegaard, Martin Heidegger, Paul Tillich Thinkers to challenge you: A.J. Ayer, Herbert Marcuse, Theodor Adorno

Your Analysis (Vertical line = Average)

You scored 70% on Materialism, higher than 86% of your peers.

You scored 70% on Phenomenology, higher than 54% of your peers.

A-yup.

Cool! I enjoyed reading the descriptions of each of the types, too.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8
Interesting!

Your result for The Metaphysician Test ...
The Taoist
The Way is flux. The Way is order. The Way is Chaos. And if you do it right, the Way is you. You have a good balance of the material and phenomenological realms in your personal experiences, and see reality as a holistic set of interlocking systems, constantly changing, constantly supporting or resting on one another. The Tao (and the Buddhist sect it inspired, Zen) isn't about getting on with it, it's about realizing there's no it to get on with. Thinkers you may agree with: Lao-tzu (duh) Thinkers that may challenge you: One is all.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Some of those questions had really shitty forced choice options.

I shifted my answers around a number of times.

Got this about 5/9:

The Taoist
The Way is flux. The Way is order. The Way is Chaos. And if you do it right, the Way is you. You have a good balance of the material and phenomenological realms in your personal experiences, and see reality as a holistic set of interlocking systems, constantly changing, constantly supporting or resting on one another. The Tao (and the Buddhist sect it inspired, Zen) isn't about getting on with it, it's about realizing there's no it to get on with. Thinkers you may agree with: Lao-tzu (duh) Thinkers that may challenge you: One is all.

Got this about 3/9:

The Kantian
Are things-in-themselves knowable, or can you only know things as they appear to you? The mystery of the noumena is at once your greatest challenge and the most distinctive part of your identity, Kantian. You've taken the tradition of your Idealist and Rationalist forebears and synthesized it with the Empiricism of Hume, but still your metaphysics, which orbit around the idea that the universe is essentially unknowable, haunt you. Thinkers you may agree with: Immanuel Kant, G.W.F. Hegel, Schopenhauer Thinkers that may challenge you: Friedrich Neitzsche, Soren Kierkegaard, Charles Darwin

With one (my last) configuration of answers I got this:

The Thelemite
"For there are no Gods but Man"-Aleister Crowley That sure doesn't stop you from communing with them. You are the Thelemite, committed to the Western occult tradition of Spare, the Golden Dawn, Crowley etc. Though you lead a life of elaborate ritual, you realize that truth and falsehood in this ritual are irrelevant distinctions: the only thing that matters is what works. Now if you just loosen up a bit, you could cross the Chasm of Choronzon. Thinkers you may agree with: Osman Spare, Aleister Crowley, Robert Anton Wilson Thinkers that may challenge you: Phil Hine, Peter Carroll

I'd read a bit about Aleister Crowly, and a very tiny bit about Robert Anton Wilson, but had heard of nothing else from this section.

Taking all three of these into account, with their respective weights, does give a pretty accurate impression of me, tho.

S

Sniffles

No surprise here.
The Theist

A common mistake is assuming that "Theism" means religion. Theism isn't religion, it is in fact metaphysics, originating with Emperor Constantine, who transformed Christianity from a minority religion to the ideological standard of Rome. What Theism simply means is that you are convinced that there is a Final Ordering Principle to the universe, that it has agency (will), that it ordains all power structures as will as instilling reality with purpose and design, and that everything must be interpreted within that context. Thinkers you may agree with: St. Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin, Iraneus Thinkers to challenge you: Bertrand Russell, Richard Dawkins, Don Cupitt

Theism and metaphysics does not originate with Constantine though.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Mystic

You're a mystic, someone who's experienced God but found out He wasn't like in the brochure. You know first-hand what it's like to encounter the ineffable, but have a healthy distrust of organized religion, which you probably consider at best stuffy and at worst an insult to true spiritual growth. If you aren't already, I'd recommend meditation exercises, or possibly yoga. One day, maybe you'll find Nirvana. Until then, just remember not to get lost in your own head! Thinkers you may agree with: St. Therese of Avila, Hassan I Sabah, Bahya ben Asher Thinkers to challenge you: Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris

Hehehe. Interesting.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't like the test. There were quite a few for which I couldn't answer with my exact thoughts. According to it, I'm a Taoist:

The Taoist

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah, this is actually a really good test for being a free one (a lot of the questions are well-phrased and the options well-chosen) and the result I was given also strongly fits my actual metaphysical beliefs, so all I can say, well done:

The Taoist

Sy_

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Kantian

I

Infinite Bubble

The Naturalist

You may be a Deist, or an atheist, or a Buddhist for all we know. But we know that you're a Naturalist, and you're convinced everything runs on a natural platform. You don't believe in miracles or revelations from higher entities. However, you are keen on psychology, and recognize the value of such stories as moral teachers and works of artistic merit, you would just prefer people regard them as stories. Thinkers you may agree with: Claude Levi-Strauss, Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung Thinkers that may challenge you: Michel Foucault, Frank Tipler

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
The Taoist

The Way is flux. The Way is order. The Way is Chaos. And if you do it right, the Way is you. You have a good balance of the material and phenomenological realms in your personal experiences, and see reality as a holistic set of interlocking systems, constantly changing, constantly supporting or resting on one another. The Tao (and the Buddhist sect it inspired, Zen) isn't about getting on with it, it's about realizing there's no it to get on with.