User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which way did you see her spinning first?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

25 62.50%
  • Clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

7 17.50%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

6 15.00%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

2 5.00%
First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

I think it may also be affected by what "mode" you're in when you look at it.

If I look at it just after doing a few tasks (apparently left-brained), I see counter-clockwise. But if I look at it when I'm relaxed and browsing TypoC, I more often see clockwise! This is strange for me, because a few years ago, I had a hard time seeing clockwise and it took a lot of effort. But I was also busy and working a lot, so maybe was stuck in left brain mode.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    I think it may also be affected by what "mode" you're in when you look at it.

If I look at it just after doing a few tasks (apparently left-brained), I see counter-clockwise. But if I look at it when I'm relaxed and browsing TypoC, I more often see clockwise! This is strange for me, because a few years ago, I had a hard time seeing clockwise and it took a lot of effort. But I was also busy and working a lot, so maybe was stuck in left brain mode.
    That's interesting. So I guess if we want it to be accurate we have to try looking at it several times a day and not just while we're relaxed and browsing the forum, so that we can see which one we use more. Or maybe we could try it in a more neutral state like right after waking up, so that there's no interference from the prior task. I assume sleeping is neither a right nor left brain activity.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5sp

So weird. First, I saw her spinning clockwise and for the life of me, I could not make her go any other direction until I read the "trick" to seeing it the other way and focused on the shadow. So, yeah, I can make myself see her spin counter-clockwise now, but she's always clockwise first.
    I got my smile from the sunshine,
    I got my tears from the rain.
    I learned to dance when I saw a tiger prance,
    And a peacock taught me to be vain.
    A little owl in a tree so high,
    He taught me how to wink my eye.
    I learned to bill and coo from a turtledove,
    And a grizzly bear taught me how to hug.
    But the guy that lived two caves from me,
    He taught me how to love.

It's kind of interesting. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble getting her to switch directions, but this time she kept switching back and forth and I was hardly even trying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I very much doubt this has much to do with anything besides which part of the animation first catches your eye and how that's interpreted by your brain. Which is why some people are able to switch it by focusing on the shadow or the foot.

I also feel the need to mention that the whole P=right-brained and J=left-brained theory was not really supported by the recently posted research by Dario Nardi, which mapped most functions as being distributed across both sides of the brain.

[/skeptical party-poopery]

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    I very much doubt this has much to do with anything besides which part of the animation first catches your eye and how that's interpreted by your brain. Which is why some people are able to switch it by focusing on the shadow or the foot.

I also feel the need to mention that the whole P=right-brained and J=left-brained theory was not really supported by the recently posted research by Dario Nardi, which mapped most functions as being distributed across both sides of the brain.

[/skeptical party-poopery]
    Aww, party-poopery.

Do you have a link for this? I want to know more.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I see her going clockwise first, but can switch easily. My INTP SO sees her going counterclockwise.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    Aww, party-poopery.

Do you have a link for this? I want to know more.
    To the neuroscience research, you mean? There was a thread about it on this board (links to a book and a youtube vid were posted too): Dario Nardi's Neuroscience of Personality

Sample sizes were very small, but interesting findings nonetheless.

A window to the soul

I only see her spinning counter-clockwise.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by RevlisZero View Post
    That's interesting. So I guess if we want it to be accurate we have to try looking at it several times a day and not just while we're relaxed and browsing the forum, so that we can see which one we use more. Or maybe we could try it in a more neutral state like right after waking up, so that there's no interference from the prior task. I assume sleeping is neither a right nor left brain activity.
    Assuming there is a correlation between left/right brain activity and which direction you perceive her spinning, yes, I agree.

I'm going to experiment with this. First I'll see if the pattern matches my theory, then I'll see if I can contradict that pattern by telling myself ahead of time to see it the opposite direction of what I would expect.

The 2 times I showed it to my INTJ left-brained hub without telling him the theory, he saw her spin counter-clockwise. I emailed it to my parents, too, without telling them the theory so as not to affect their outcome with suggestion. My dad is very left-brained, and my mom is very right-brained, so it will be interesting to see what they perceive.