• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spinning Dancer Test

Which way did you see her spinning first?

• Clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • Clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm right brain dominant (perceiving)

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Counter-clockwise, and I'm left brain dominant (judging)

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I think it may also be affected by what "mode" you're in when you look at it.

If I look at it just after doing a few tasks (apparently left-brained), I see counter-clockwise. But if I look at it when I'm relaxed and browsing TypoC, I more often see clockwise! This is strange for me, because a few years ago, I had a hard time seeing clockwise and it took a lot of effort. But I was also busy and working a lot, so maybe was stuck in left brain mode.

Silveresque

I think it may also be affected by what "mode" you're in when you look at it.

If I look at it just after doing a few tasks (apparently left-brained), I see counter-clockwise. But if I look at it when I'm relaxed and browsing TypoC, I more often see clockwise! This is strange for me, because a few years ago, I had a hard time seeing clockwise and it took a lot of effort. But I was also busy and working a lot, so maybe was stuck in left brain mode.

That's interesting. So I guess if we want it to be accurate we have to try looking at it several times a day and not just while we're relaxed and browsing the forum, so that we can see which one we use more. Or maybe we could try it in a more neutral state like right after waking up, so that there's no interference from the prior task. I assume sleeping is neither a right nor left brain activity.

Mae

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5sp
So weird. First, I saw her spinning clockwise and for the life of me, I could not make her go any other direction until I read the "trick" to seeing it the other way and focused on the shadow. So, yeah, I can make myself see her spin counter-clockwise now, but she's always clockwise first.

Silveresque

It's kind of interesting. Sometimes I have a lot of trouble getting her to switch directions, but this time she kept switching back and forth and I was hardly even trying.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I very much doubt this has much to do with anything besides which part of the animation first catches your eye and how that's interpreted by your brain. Which is why some people are able to switch it by focusing on the shadow or the foot.

I also feel the need to mention that the whole P=right-brained and J=left-brained theory was not really supported by the recently posted research by Dario Nardi, which mapped most functions as being distributed across both sides of the brain.

[/skeptical party-poopery]

Silveresque

I very much doubt this has much to do with anything besides which part of the animation first catches your eye and how that's interpreted by your brain. Which is why some people are able to switch it by focusing on the shadow or the foot.

I also feel the need to mention that the whole P=right-brained and J=left-brained theory was not really supported by the recently posted research by Dario Nardi, which mapped most functions as being distributed across both sides of the brain.

[/skeptical party-poopery]

Aww, party-poopery. :sadbanana:

Do you have a link for this? I want to know more. :D

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see her going clockwise first, but can switch easily. My INTP SO sees her going counterclockwise.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
That's interesting. So I guess if we want it to be accurate we have to try looking at it several times a day and not just while we're relaxed and browsing the forum, so that we can see which one we use more. Or maybe we could try it in a more neutral state like right after waking up, so that there's no interference from the prior task. I assume sleeping is neither a right nor left brain activity.

Assuming there is a correlation between left/right brain activity and which direction you perceive her spinning, yes, I agree.

I'm going to experiment with this. :biggrin: First I'll see if the pattern matches my theory, then I'll see if I can contradict that pattern by telling myself ahead of time to see it the opposite direction of what I would expect.

The 2 times I showed it to my INTJ left-brained hub without telling him the theory, he saw her spin counter-clockwise. I emailed it to my parents, too, without telling them the theory so as not to affect their outcome with suggestion. My dad is very left-brained, and my mom is very right-brained, so it will be interesting to see what they perceive.

redcheerio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
E9
I only see her spinning counter-clockwise.

:happy:

Your work is very left-brained. Try again sometime when you're relaxed at home and not thinking about work, and see if it makes a difference. :) (I used to also have a hard time seeing anything but counter-clockwise.)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
She is turning Clockwise, I cannot see changing her direction.

A

A window to the soul

Your work is very left-brained. Try again sometime when you're relaxed at home and not thinking about work, and see if it makes a difference. :) (I used to also have a hard time seeing anything but counter-clockwise.)

Okay. I'm frustrated with this, I still can't see her clockwise!! I will try again later and report back. :linedance:

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i see clockwise first.
but if i look at her flat heel. she switches.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Always clockwise, only when I am drunk I get more logical

*that sentence, a lyrical masterpiece* :D

wolfy

awsm
I was playing around with seeing how she fit music. I was listening to AC/DC Highway to Hell and watching how she fit the beat when she suddenly changed counter clockwise. I want to get her moving back and forth to the music.

A

A window to the soul

i see clockwise first.
but if i look at her flat heel. she switches.

I tried your suggestion and failed again. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that. It would be funny if I suddenly saw her clockwise through a few tears.

wolfy

awsm
I tried your suggestion and failed again. I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that. It would be funny if I suddenly saw her clockwise through a few tears.

You never know, give it a try. AC/DC made it counter clockwise for me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Try turning the computer monitor bottom side up

wolfy

awsm
Try turning the computer monitor bottom side up

moonro2.jpg