User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: The Bear Test

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    Imagine you're walking in the woods alone and you spot a bear.
    You care to offer any expert analysis of some of the responses here, Herr Ginkgo?
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    E9

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Is anyone else noticing how enneatype appropriate these answers are? I've noticed both 4w5s and Jennifer (another e5w4) gave descriptions similar to my own: looking for something/food. Gromit and Peacebaby (both e9) both said the bear leaves them alone after a while. And there are others that seem appropriate to their enneatype as well. It makes sense, given the 'meaning' of the bear. It might even be a useful tool to find someone's enneatype.

[edit: I *think* Jennifer is 5w4, if my memory serves correct.]

Mine (which I did write before reading any others) : It’s rummaging through something for food, like in a looking for honey kind of way. It’s kind of slow moving. I’m not really afraid of it, it’s not interested in me, it’s more concerned with finding what it’s looking for. It’s big, and looks like a grizzly. It’s big enough to do real damage if it wanted to, but I don’t think it wants to, I think it really just wants to calmly find what it’s looking for.
    Interesting. I'm also E9, and mine also fits your E9 group.

Quote Originally Posted by redcheerio View Post
    I come upon it standing on its hind legs in the middle of my path, big but not huge. We stare at each other. I'm nervous, but not as scared as I should be. I keep staring. It shrugs, gets back down on all fours and goes back to munching berries in the forest, watching me as I walk by.

That's just about how I imagined the bear as well. I also didn't run but walked away. In my scenario, the bear was holding an apple.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

a big woolly grizzly bear walking the opposite direction across the clearing back towards the woods... it turns and glances back at me before ambling onward towards wherever it's headed... the bear doesn't really give a fuck that I'm there in the least

“Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

It says walking alone, but I imagined myself and 1 other person :/
    Sorry. It was an accident.

The bear had black or brown fur. No particular size, but it was quiet, heavy and slow-moving. A little imposing?

When I came across it, it was eating. It looked up at me, I looked back at it, and then I froze. A lot of uneasiness. It then growled (low, but a growl nonetheless), and I was extremely worried that it would attack if I either made one wrong move or failed to make one right one quickly enough.

So I was waiting for the right time to run, but it was so much to think about at once that I was still pretty much frozen. I couldn't decide whether it would be safer to run, or whether I should do nothing except maybe close my eyes and hope by some miracle that the situation would be over soon.

After reading the spoiler this situation is kind of sad lol. But true in most cases.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

This is what my ESTJ husband says (although I can't officially say what his enneagram is):

It's a black bear, kind of medium sized, sitting on it's bum with front legs out, near a tree. There's a lot of low growth around, but the bear is not really hidden in any way. The bear has one paw on the tree, and it just looks over at me when it hears me. But it's moving slowly, glances slowly over, and I just watch it and stop moving. The bear eventually goes back to what it was doing.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Jennifer: too bad, your imagination limits you!
    No, it's not me who lacks imagination -- it's my bear!

Quote Originally Posted by z buck mcfate
    Is anyone else noticing how enneatype appropriate these answers are? I've noticed both 4w5s and Jennifer (another e5w4) gave descriptions similar to my own: looking for something/food. Gromit and Peacebaby (both e9) both said the bear leaves them alone after a while. And there are others that seem appropriate to their enneatype as well. It makes sense, given the 'meaning' of the bear. It might even be a useful tool to find someone's enneatype.

[edit: I *think* Jennifer is 5w4, if my memory serves correct.]
    Yes, my 4 score is typically only a few points under the 5... and 9 follows a few points later.

I'd explore especially the three approaches to strife/challenge: Moving against, moving toward, and moving away.

I think my bear would have been more terrifying earlier in my life, but I feel more confident nowadays and also don't see problems as something I am not equipped to face.

Quote Originally Posted by noon
    When I came across it, it was eating...
    I can't help but ask, what was it eating? (maybe I don't want to know! )
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I can't help but ask, what was it eating? (maybe I don't want to know! )
    Some animal carcass; didn't imagine which animal.

Walking in on it was a lot like this

After reading the responses whose bears were eating things like berries, I wondered why mine couldn't have been eating something like that.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    @Jennifer, too bad, your imagination limits you!
    It's easy to say, "The bear's a Koala in a tutu! Life goes on lol." But the question's not interesting if the bear's not.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Curious - how do you interpret those answers as correlating to e9?
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching