• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Fairness Heuristics Test

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interesting test I stumbled upon....

http://helloquizzy.okcupid.com/tests/the-fairness-heuristics-test

The underlying premise is that there are essentially ten simple and efficient rules by which we each gauge fairness. By themselves, each and every one of these rules would typically sound reasonable and appropriate. In other words, each of the ten fairness rules would seem more or less fair to most people. Taken together, however, the rules often conflict, and this is where "more or less" comes into play. For, while we might all agree that the rules are all fair, we each favor some rules as being more fair than others. According to the hypothesis underlying this test, these fairness biases are the root of political differences.

The term fairness heuristics thus refers both to the postulated ten simple rules of fairness, and to the process we each use to determine which rules are more salient in making moral, and hence political, decisions.

Here's my result from the test:

Order / Insurance

You scored 30% growing, 70% insuring, and 47% reducing![30]

Piaget believed that errors are far more interesting and instructive than correct answers. This model is a work in progress; please help improve it by providing feedback!
Your Results
Fair is distributing things equally and based on need, but also taking into consideration equality of opportunity, responsibility, and power.
You perhaps have something in common with the 10% of the U.S. population (10% of voters) whom the Pew Center identifies as Disadvantaged Democrats: pro-welfare, disenchanted with government, and anti-business.
You might prefer politically correct speech, identify as a feminist, and/or support government action or policies to enforce equality.
You would probably agree with the statement that "The World Makes People". In other words, that people's circumstances are often beyond their own control.
An empathic society, where citizens are cared for, respected, and care for others, where obedience is earned through love and respect, and government both communicates why decisions are made, and listens to citizens' questions and ideas--what George Lakoff calls the "Nurturant Parent" model of government--might appeal to you.
You might favor voluntary associations, where the good of the group comes first, and worry that we are ignoring risks that could have catastrophic consequences if we don't act to prevent them, and that you are isolated in a world of arbitrary constraints.
You might be suspicious of untested technology, believing that nature is both fragile and somewhat random.
You might fall in the South-Westerly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, although you might also identify as a Cultural Creative. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Left-wing (Liberal) quadrant.
If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd might accuse you of not understanding how things work. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of not caring about people.

I'd say that's pretty true of me and my politcal views.

P

Phantonym

That was an interesting test. Thanks for sharing!

Free / Balance
You scored 60% growing, 40% insuring, and 55% reducing!

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity, while also balancing equality of distribution and needs, on the one hand, and rules, rights, hard work, keeping agreements, and leadership, on the other.

You might or might not identify as a libertarian.

You probably believe that sometimes people's circumstances are within their own control, and sometimes not.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and balance their own needs and the creation of community, might appeal to you.

You might be resigned to an unconstrained society, with initiative in the marketplace, and both worry that there is little you can do to control your situation and worry about economic and foreign threats, while also being concerned that we are ignoring risks that we should be working to prevent, and that social changes may disrupt society.

You might feel there is little we can or should do to effect the environment, believing that nature is both resilient and random, tolerant yet fragile.

You might fall in the center of Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, and may also identify as a Cultural Creative. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Centrist diamond.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of being soft or naive. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of being close-minded.

dala

MBTI Type
intp
These questions were so vague, and the answer choices so limited, that I had trouble even attempting to answer them.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Liberty / Growth
You scored 100% growing, 0% insuring, and 82% reducing!

Piaget believed that errors are far more interesting and instructive than correct answers. This model is a work in progress; please help improve it by providing feedback!

Your Results

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity, while also following the rules, getting what you work for, what you agree to, and what you have a right to, and recognizing ability.

You perhaps have something in common with the 9% of the U.S. population (10% of voters) whom the Pew Center identifies as Enterprisers: pro-business and socially conservative. (NOT socially conservative in the slightest)

You probably identify as a free-market libertarian, favoring economic freedom, but comfortable with regulation of personal activities. NOT comfortable with any regulation on personal activities unless it is harmful to another.

You would probably agree with the statement that "People Make the World". In other words, that people's circumstances are usually within their control. In the US, yes.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and government doesn't meddle--probably appeals to you.
Yes.

You might favor trial-and-error in an unconstrained society, a marketplace of initiative, and worry about foreign and economic threats.You might believe that the environment will fix itself, believing that nature is resilient and generous. Hah, rarely believe things fix themselves.

You might fall in the Southerly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, favoring economic growth, globalization, and big business. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you probably fall in the Libertarian quadrant.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of not understanding how things work.

Lark

Your result for The Fairness Heuristics Test ...

Liberty / Balance

You scored 50% growing, 50% insuring, and 78% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity.

You probably identify as libertarian, if not objectivist or anarchist.

You probably believe that sometimes people's circumstances are within their own control, and sometimes not.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and balance their own needs and the creation of community, probably appeals to you.

You might be resigned to an unconstrained society, with initiative in the marketplace, and worry both about economic and foreign threats and that there is little you can do to control your situation.

You might feel there is little we can or should do to effect the environment, believing that nature is both resilient and random.

You might fall in the Southernly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, favoring economic growth and globalization. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Libertarian quadrant.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of being not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of being naive.

My response is "objectivist? WTF"

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
What is interesting about this is that I do score as Cultural Creative.

Order / Insurance

You scored 30% growing, 70% insuring, and 32% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is distributing things equally and based on need, but also taking into consideration equality of opportunity, responsibility, and power.

You perhaps have something in common with the 10% of the U.S. population (10% of voters) whom the Pew Center identifies as Disadvantaged Democrats: pro-welfare, disenchanted with government, and anti-business.

You might prefer politically correct speech, identify as a feminist, and/or support government action or policies to enforce equality.

You would probably agree with the statement that "The World Makes People". In other words, that people's circumstances are often beyond their own control.

An empathic society, where citizens are cared for, respected, and care for others, where obedience is earned through love and respect, and government both communicates why decisions are made, and listens to citizens' questions and ideas--what George Lakoff calls the "Nurturant Parent" model of government--might appeal to you.

You might favor voluntary associations, where the good of the group comes first, and worry that we are ignoring risks that could have catastrophic consequences if we don't act to prevent them, and that you are isolated in a world of arbitrary constraints.

You might be suspicious of untested technology, believing that nature is both fragile and somewhat random.

You might fall in the South-Westerly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, although you might also identify as a Cultural Creative. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Left-wing (Liberal) quadrant.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd might accuse you of not understanding how things work. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of not caring about people.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Free / Balance

You scored 50% growing, 50% insuring, and 67% reducing!​

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity, while also balancing equality of distribution and needs, on the one hand, and rules, rights, hard work, keeping agreements, and leadership, on the other.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and balance their own needs and the creation of community, might appeal to you.

You might be resigned to an unconstrained society, with initiative in the marketplace, and both worry that there is little you can do to control your situation and worry about economic and foreign threats, while also being concerned that we are ignoring risks that we should be working to prevent, and that social changes may disrupt society.

You might feel there is little we can or should do to effect the environment, believing that nature is both resilient and random, tolerant yet fragile.

You might fall in the center of Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, and may also identify as a Cultural Creative. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Centrist diamond.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of being soft or naive. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of being close-minded.

You scored 50% on growing, higher than 48% of your peers.
You scored 50% on insuring, higher than 55% of your peers.
You scored 67% on reducing, higher than 83% of your peers.
You scored 50% on LR-LL, higher than 47% of your peers.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Liberty / Balance

You scored 50% growing, 50% insuring, and 78% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity.

You probably identify as libertarian, if not objectivist or anarchist.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and balance their own needs and the creation of community, probably appeals to you.

You might be resigned to an unconstrained society, with initiative in the marketplace, and worry both about economic and foreign threats and that there is little you can do to control your situation.

You might feel there is little we can or should do to effect the environment, believing that nature is both resilient and random.

You might fall in the Southernly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, favoring economic growth and globalization. On the World's Smallest Political Quiz, you'd probably fall in the Libertarian quadrant.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of being not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of being naive.

My response is "objectivist? WTF"

Yeah, I read through them and I think I lean more toward Free/Insurance than Order/Insurance, in all truth.

As Dala already pointed out, the forced choices are over simplified...yes, I absolutely do think need and equality come first, but I also believe in personal responsibility and room for a range of various lifestyles, opinions, and levels of achievement.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have tryed but I simply dont have enough Fi for this kind of a test.
As a matter of fact I think that making political choices on believes is a complete miss in most cases.

Among all the possible results, I would say that this is probably the one that fits me best.

Free / Insurance
You scored 20% growing, 80% insuring, and 68% reducing!

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity, but also taking into consideration need and equality of distribution.

You perhaps have something in common with the 9% of the U.S. population (10% of voters) whom the Pew Center identify as Disaffecteds: cynical about government, against policies that cost jobs, pro-welfare, and anti-immigration.

You might identify as a civil libertarian, favoring personal freedom, but comfortable with regulation of economic activities.

A society where citizens are responsible, self-disciplined, self-reliant, develop their own potential and live fulfilling lives, nurture others and create community without government interference--might appeal to you.

You might be resigned to riding out fate, worrying that you are isolated in a world of arbitrary constraints, and perhaps that we are ignoring risks that could have catastrophic consequences.

You might feel there is little we can do to effect the environment, believing that nature is both random and somewhat fragile.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they might accuse you either of not understanding how things work or of not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of being corrupt.

Lark

As a matter of fact I think that making political choices on believes is a complete miss in most cases.

You consider beliefs to be tied to Fi? Why?

What is the other basis for political choice?

dala

MBTI Type
intp
I base my political beliefs and choices on what I see as objectively best, as based on evidence and experience.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I couldn't decide... I can't just make judgements like that without knowing the surrounding circumstances :unsure:

plus, using cookies as an example is just silly :nono:

*did not finish the test*

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Are you kidding? This sort of test is agonising for this Fi-dom and I suspect it might be for other IXFPs. We want win-win situations not tough choices. Consequently I got:

Free / Balance
You scored 50% growing, 50% insuring, and 55% reducing!

wolfy

awsm
Seems right...

Free / Growth

You scored 70% growing, 30% insuring, and 72% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is equality of power, responsibility, and opportunity, while also following the rules, getting what you work for, what you agree to, and what you have a right to, and recognizing ability.

You perhaps have something in common with the 11% of the U.S. population (13% of voters) whom the Pew Center identifies as Upbeats: pro-business and having a positive view of government.

You might identify as a free-market libertarian, favoring economic freedom, but comfortable with regulation of personal activities.

You would probably agree with the statement that "People Make the World". In other words, that people's circumstances are usually within their control.

A society where citizens are self-disciplined, self-reliant, and government doesn't meddle--might appeal to you.

You might favor trial-and-error in an unconstrained society, a marketplace of initiative, and worry foreign and economic threats, while also being concerned about social deviance that disrupts society.

You might believe that the environment will fix itself, believing that nature is both tolerant and resilient.

You might fall in the South-Easterly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, and probably fall in the Right-wing (Conservative) quadrant of the World's Smallest Political Quiz.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd probably accuse you of not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of either being soft or not understanding how things work

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
You consider beliefs to be tied to Fi? Why?

What is the other basis for political choice?

I dont think this is a right thread for this conversation/debate so I will be brief.
(yes, this is brief)

And yes I think there is plenty of thinking about politics that contains too much Fi. The trick is that I think that political structures deliberalty use emphasis on Fi and feelings in general to manipulate people or hide the truth. In other words we are constantly dealing "with who believes in what and why does he/she believe in that". While on the other hand everybody in politics seems to be running from the fact that the system can objectively judged and that the actually efficiency can be measured. Maybe in other countries political campaigns are much diferent. But form what I have seen in mine did not impress me at all. (if we dont count the amount of stupidity)

So here are some stereotipical examples about what we are talking about here

Jurnalist: the elections are comming and people got the impression that the size of public sector is out of control. Do you have a number of how may people work in a states administration ? (what is a top job here)
Prime Minister: To be honest this goverment haven't studied how much employees we actually have since we believe that everyone capable has a right to work in the adminitration. (smile)

While in fact the countries economy is destroyed and now they are giving jobs to their party members. Even if they have to fund that from large rise of debt, while there is less and less of real economy in the country. However this is not the impression you would get from the idealistic smile of the person.

Candidate: If you vote for me I will do everything it takes to create maximal freedom possible and make sure that communists stay away from decision making.

What would technically be ok in the case that the person is not from a political party that is a direct successor of the communist party. As a matter of fact the founding father was a general back in Communism. What opens the question "Why have you been that close to him and you have his pictures on your wall ? "

Also political ideologies always think that there is a perfect and ultimate solution. While in fact they dont see that each part of the world has it own climate and ratio of natural resources on their diposal. It simply is not the same if your main resource is soil, ore , or oil. Since this resources will in fact dictate most of the things even if no one wants to admit that. Plus not everyone has a same amout of resources or same concentration of resources in the landscape. So if you have little resources you automatically have to build more socialitic governing because otherwise resources distribution will lead to civil war. (no matter how much law enforcement you have)
However it seems that you can't explain this to some people. They they just go copy-paste.

The modern politics goes by logic "In what do you believe in ? I am sure we can help you, we can do anything". So people end up voting for things that are not possible. Some times the laws of physics and geology are againt it and sometimes it is politically impossble. For example the presidential candidates are promising something they can't do simply because the position does not have the authority to do that. (while their political opposition has a complete hold over the parliament, what makes law changes impossible)
So one of those candidates got the position but nothing happened and promises were broken, and to be honest I think that you dont have to be a genious to see the outcome.
But if you rise the tendencies to the level when feelings get turned on it is much easier to outmanoeuvre the public. (And that is exactly what I see around me since I was a child regargless of which political party we are talking about)

That would be my answer in short.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ Unfortunately, you've made the false assumption that Fi-users are too thick to know the difference between BS and truth. You also assume that decisions based on Fi are inherently irrational and unrealistic, which is also false. Objective reasoning is no more or less fallible than subjective reasoning. Objective reasoning cannot for instance, predict if a politician will actually do a good job when they are elected when there are no definitive clues in their track record - nor can it determine when someone is lying if there aren't facts to prove it. But you might actually find a XXFP may be far better at judging this, using the very reasoning you have so little faith in.

Atomic Fiend

Free / Balance

You scored 50% growing, 50% insuring, and 55% reducing!

Your Results

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Order / Growth
You scored 70% growing, 30% insuring, and 47% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is following the rules, getting what you work for, what you agree to, and what you have a right to, and recognizing ability, while also taking into consideration equality of opportunity, responsibility, and power.

You might prefer that government policy reinforce conventional values.

You would probably agree with the statement that "People Make the World". In other words, that people's circumstances are usually within their control.

A traditional society, where government supports and protects, sets policy and rules of behavior, where the leader's role is to keep infrastructure, look after the citizenry, and uphold authority, and where citizens respect and obey their leaders--what George Lakoff calls the "Strict Father" model of government--might appeal to you.

You might favor well-defined roles, a well-defined system of rules, and worry that social deviance will disrupt those rules, while also being concerned about economic and foreign threats.

You might rely on experts to establish rules and keep society in proper bounds, believing that nature is both perverse and resilient, such that it can be exploited up to a point, but not beyond.

You might fall in the South-Easterly direction on Dr. Paul Ray's New Political Compass, and probably fall in the Right-wing (Conservative) quadrant of the World's Smallest Political Quiz.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd might accuse you of not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of either being soft or corrupt.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Makes sense, considering I think the benevolent dictatorship is ideal. Unrealistic, but ideal. No idea what reducing means though.

Order / Growth
You scored 100% growing, 0% insuring, and 47% reducing!

Your Results

Fair is following the rules, getting what you work for, what you agree to, and what you have a right to, and recognizing ability, while also taking into consideration equality of opportunity, responsibility, and power.

You might prefer that government policy reinforce conventional values.

A traditional society, where government supports and protects, sets policy and rules of behavior, where the leader's role is to keep infrastructure, look after the citizenry, and uphold authority, and where citizens respect and obey their leaders--what George Lakoff calls the "Strict Father" model of government--might appeal to you.

You might favor well-defined roles, a well-defined system of rules, and worry that social deviance will disrupt those rules, while also being concerned about economic and foreign threats.

You might rely on experts to establish rules and keep society in proper bounds, believing that nature is both perverse and resilient, such that it can be exploited up to a point, but not beyond.

If someone were to criticize you in a political debate, they'd might accuse you of not caring about people. On the other hand, it's possible that you've accused someone (holding political opinions different from your own) of either being soft or corrupt.

Here are all twelve possible results for the test: