• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people enjoy taking personality tests?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you enjoy taking personality tests? Why or why not?

I'm a test junkie and I like taking personality tests. I've wondered why this is as I have a good sense of I who I am and my own strengths and weaknesses. Do I really need a test to point that out? Rarely do I get results on personality tests that are radically different from my own self-perception. And when I do, I likely disregard the test as being poorly made.

I guess some of it stems from curiosity. I see myself as fitting into that type but do I *really*? I guess I do seek validation to some degree. How accurate are my own self-perceptions? Sometimes its interesting to see where I stand in certain qualities relative to the general population. Sometimes I just enjoy the process of the test and the result is secondary. Sometimes the questions are thought provoking in themselves or they are humorous or interesting or whatever.

So for all you test junkies out there, why do you enjoy personality tests?

Or why don't you enjoy them?

P

Phantonym

I do enjoy taking tests. Sometimes it's just for procrastination and for fun, especially with the fluff ones. Mostly it's because, as the OP mentions as well, to see how accurate my self-perception is or what I think it is. It's interesting to see how my moods affect my test results, so taking tests gives me the opportunity to analyze myself as to why I chose that kind of answer at that point and what's going on with me. If the results are completely out of whack as to what I perceive myself to be, it's fun to analyze the reasons why. It's not about the results really, I don't care for how tailored they usually seem to be to meet a wide variety of people's expectations but they do act as a sort of a map even if they say something ridiculous. In some ways it might lead to some sort of truth or at least to new discoveries, so that's the fun in it. :)

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I like taking them, too. I'm like you in that I'm pretty self-aware and tests don't usually tell me anything new, but it feels good to be validated, in some small way, in my self-perception. :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Because they're fun.

Because I'm interesting.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Boredom.

Tests provide mild entertainment.

I would go on YouTube instead, but the sound on my computer isn't working! :steam:

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not as into them as I used to be. I used to find myself a lot more fascinating than I do now. Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.

I guess I'm all tested out now. Not much new to read.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.

This is really it for me....and some are just fun.

The more legit tests with a theory behind them like MBTI & enneagram do have some "self-growth" aspects that are useful. Taking those new versions of those tests now is just to compare their results with past tests.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.
This is really it for me....and some are just fun.

The more legit tests with a theory behind them like MBTI & enneagram do have some "self-growth" aspects that are useful. Taking those new versions of those tests now is just to compare their results with past tests.

:yes:
Maybe its an acceptable outlet for me to express some self-absorption. Plus I find them relaxing for some reason.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Maybe we should develop a test to determine which types like taking personality tests.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe we should develop a test to determine which types like taking personality tests.

That would be awesome. I'd totally be up for that. ;)

G

garbage

I just like clicking checkboxes on the Internet with my mouse :shrug:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I take them because they give me something to do when bored/procrastinating and I don't feel as guilty as if I were to play a game or watch something in order to procrastinate.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I take them because they give me something to do when bored/procrastinating and I don't feel as guilty as if I were to play a game or watch something in order to procrastinate.

Yes!! Exactly.

I mean, if you are procrastinating you might as well do something productive and guilt-free, like taking a personality test. There's never a more satisfying feeling than that "a-ha" moment where I just spent a half an hour answering questions for someone to tell me that procrastinating is part of my personality! Because I'm a P! and Spontaneous! And like to "play first, and work second". Well I'm just a fun procrastinator! It's even more fun when one personality test leads me to another until it's one in the morning and I find out that nothing is done. Well, we can scratch that. Something is done. I found out something about myself. (Again.) And also demonstrated those things all at the same time. And in the end I get to draw a lot of big conclusions about myself and have strange epiphanies. (Like the fact that I procrastinate. A lot. Like, a lot a lot..) It is never a waste of time to take a personality test!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I wonder when they will make a test that measures your enjoyment level of taking tests?

chachamaru

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Because it's better than masturbation.

Mmmm... masturbation...

I had a dream I found "toys" in my room... that belonged to my mother...

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I feel like it's sort of a reflection of how interested in knowing oneself the taker is.
I know I take them to reveal different aspects of my personality and psyche that I didn't know were there. Perhaps I didn't know how best to express it, perhaps I was wondering where my place in the overall structure is, or maybe I was bored. Whatever the reason, I tend to take them to learn more about myself.

Or perhaps I'm just grossly self-interested. Maybe it's a form of non-sexual masturbation after all?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wonder when they will make a test that measures your enjoyment level of taking tests?

I think I'll go ahead and make one.

Because it's better than masturbation.

Mmmm... masturbation...

I had a dream I found "toys" in my room... that belonged to my mother...

Masturbation personality test, anyone?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Haha, I think it's either characteristic for personality tests or for me how everbody so far evaded the question "Because I want to find something out about myself." :D It's characteristic for personality tests, because somehow asking the question seems to be kinda socially awkward or it's characteristic for me because I am so full of myself, there could be no other reason I'ld be taking such a test *licks mirror* :D

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I don't enjoy them because they're boring and cliche.