User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Why do people enjoy taking personality tests?

Do you enjoy taking personality tests? Why or why not?

I'm a test junkie and I like taking personality tests. I've wondered why this is as I have a good sense of I who I am and my own strengths and weaknesses. Do I really need a test to point that out? Rarely do I get results on personality tests that are radically different from my own self-perception. And when I do, I likely disregard the test as being poorly made.

I guess some of it stems from curiosity. I see myself as fitting into that type but do I *really*? I guess I do seek validation to some degree. How accurate are my own self-perceptions? Sometimes its interesting to see where I stand in certain qualities relative to the general population. Sometimes I just enjoy the process of the test and the result is secondary. Sometimes the questions are thought provoking in themselves or they are humorous or interesting or whatever.

So for all you test junkies out there, why do you enjoy personality tests?

Or why don't you enjoy them?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Phantonym

I do enjoy taking tests. Sometimes it's just for procrastination and for fun, especially with the fluff ones. Mostly it's because, as the OP mentions as well, to see how accurate my self-perception is or what I think it is. It's interesting to see how my moods affect my test results, so taking tests gives me the opportunity to analyze myself as to why I chose that kind of answer at that point and what's going on with me. If the results are completely out of whack as to what I perceive myself to be, it's fun to analyze the reasons why. It's not about the results really, I don't care for how tailored they usually seem to be to meet a wide variety of people's expectations but they do act as a sort of a map even if they say something ridiculous. In some ways it might lead to some sort of truth or at least to new discoveries, so that's the fun in it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like taking them, too. I'm like you in that I'm pretty self-aware and tests don't usually tell me anything new, but it feels good to be validated, in some small way, in my self-perception.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because they're fun.

Because I'm interesting.

your resident asshole

Boredom.

Tests provide mild entertainment.

I would go on YouTube instead, but the sound on my computer isn't working! :steam:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm not as into them as I used to be. I used to find myself a lot more fascinating than I do now. Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.

I guess I'm all tested out now. Not much new to read.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.
    This is really it for me....and some are just fun.

The more legit tests with a theory behind them like MBTI & enneagram do have some "self-growth" aspects that are useful. Taking those new versions of those tests now is just to compare their results with past tests.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blankpages View Post
    Even though I knew myself pretty well, there was something about reading descriptions of my traits in someone else's words that intrigued me. It's like getting a glimpse into how someone else might see you.
    This is really it for me....and some are just fun.

The more legit tests with a theory behind them like MBTI & enneagram do have some "self-growth" aspects that are useful. Taking those new versions of those tests now is just to compare their results with past tests.

Maybe its an acceptable outlet for me to express some self-absorption. Plus I find them relaxing for some reason.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

MBTI
    INTj

Maybe we should develop a test to determine which types like taking personality tests.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Maybe we should develop a test to determine which types like taking personality tests.
    That would be awesome. I'd totally be up for that.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne