Thread: The Eye Test

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Your score: 25

A typical score is in the range 22-30. If you scored over 30,
    you are very accurate at decoding a person's facial expressions
    around their eyes. A score under 22 indicates you find this quite difficult.

Some of them were very hard because the picture was too dark for me to see their pupils, and there was no color.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Your score: 28

The correct answers for the ones you missed are:
    7: uneasy
    19: tentative
    21: fantasizing
    24: pensive
    26: hostile
    27: cautious
    33: concerned
    36: suspicious

Hmmm more work on my part needed. Thanks for posting link ^^

Like Athenian, I found it a little difficult to see the images. I see myself mirroring what I think I saw in the picture in order to "get" the emotions. Also most of the ones I got wrong were the ones I didn't mirror very well.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

My results

Your score: 31
    A typical score is in the range 22-30. If you scored over 30,
    you are very accurate at decoding a person's facial expressions
    around their eyes. A score under 22 indicates you find this quite difficult.

The correct answers for the ones you missed are:
    2: upset
    19: tentative
    21: fantasizing
    28: interested
    29: reflective

MBTI
    INTP

Heh. 27. Way better than I was expecting. I quite often don't look at people's eyes when I'm talking to them (I usually look at people's mouths when they talk - eyes seem somewhat expressionless to me, whereas mouths seem to be more animated and expressive). Some of the pictures I was thinking 'none of the above'.

And nice test, by the way. Thanks for the link.

MBTI
    type

Scored 24.

Agree with athenian: couldn't see the pupils and it wasn't coloured. After a while, I got confused cos I just saw too many eyes in a row.

Also have a question: what if we're not the type to read emotions via the eyes? I've very rarely used the eyes alone as for the reading of others' emotions. Have found that it is better to use overall body language. Especially with the new-fangled contact lenses nowadays that are all the rage here.
    You gave me hyacinths first a year ago;
    They called me the hyacinth girl.
    Yet when we came back, late, from the Hyacinth garden,
    Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not
    Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither
    Living nor dead, and I knew nothing,
    Looking into the heart of light, the silence.

--T.S Eliot, The Wasteland

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by elfinchilde View Post
    Also have a question: what if we're not the type to read emotions via the eyes? I've very rarely used the eyes alone as for the reading of others' emotions. Have found that it is better to use overall body language. Especially with the new-fangled contact lenses nowadays that are all the rage here.
    *mumbles* The eyes themselves tend to only give approach or avoidant signals. That is whether they're looking at you or away from you. The rest of the signal is encoded by the eyebrows. Hmmm now that I think about it... there's more facial muscles around the eyes than on the lower part of the face. So perhaps that's why the eyes tell you more? Even though the rest of the face is also used for expression. So that's why the test was based on the eyes.

But at the end of the day, as long as you can read a person's emotions. The process of how you do it doesn't really matter.

Side thought: It reminds me of the japanese masks... tilted downwards is a happy expression, tilted upwards is angry.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I had a really hard time doing this test, but got a 25!

I guess I was better at reading eyes than I thought I was... But not as good as some people here!

A lot of the difficulty was with the unwrinkled faces for me. I, too, was mostly looking at the eyebrows and sometimes the upper eyelid. Another problem was that most of them were looking directly into the camera... which made it hard to pick out the "interest" vs. "hostility".

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I may be the way my screen contrast is set but I can hardly see some of them.

MBTI
    GONE

I got 32 out of 36. Thank you ENFP empathy (I just saw Alcearos' score).

Looking at the scores, I think the high scores have something to do with predominant Ne and Fe or vice versa.

I was pretty solid about my answers, and amongst the wrong answers I misgauged 'joking' with 'confident' in a woman's eyes (I think I was right though, there is something tongue in cheek about the look in her eyes even if she is being confident) and I also got the droopy old man eyes wrong. I seriously couldn't read the hostility or any of the other options in them until after I checked my answer. Honestly, I just read 'droopy'. I've had ptosis before (sleepy eye) so I can sympathize, maybe that's why I learned to have an overall expressive face because my eyes were so not expressive.

I scrolled down so I was only answering 2 or 3 at a time. I think seeing a wall of eyes can be distracting (not to mention a tad bit creepy).

Edit:

The 'space cadet' answers and 'flirtatious' were by far the easiest to get. I think anyone who's a student (or teacher) who regularly looks around a classroom will be very well versed in the bored, glassy-eyed look of 'contemplative/reflective/preocupied/pensive' etc. Hahahaha. I'm serious. I think being very familiar with 'zoning out' myself it was easy to spot in other people. In the test, those eyes were almost always looking away and kinda vacant looking. Also I think 'flirtatious' was one of the most over the top expressive eyes.
    Last edited by CzeCze; 03-11-2008 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Just wanted to add
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Here were the ones I missed.
    3: desire
    10: cautious
    12: sceptical
    15: contemplative
    18: decisive