• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Eye Test

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Your score: 25

A typical score is in the range 22-30. If you scored over 30,
you are very accurate at decoding a person's facial expressions
around their eyes. A score under 22 indicates you find this quite difficult.

Some of them were very hard because the picture was too dark for me to see their pupils, and there was no color.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Your score: 28

The correct answers for the ones you missed are:
7: uneasy
19: tentative
21: fantasizing
24: pensive
26: hostile
27: cautious
33: concerned
36: suspicious

Hmmm more work on my part needed. Thanks for posting link ^^

Like Athenian, I found it a little difficult to see the images. I see myself mirroring what I think I saw in the picture in order to "get" the emotions. Also most of the ones I got wrong were the ones I didn't mirror very well.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My results

Your score: 31

2: upset
28: interested
29: reflective

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Heh. 27. Way better than I was expecting. I quite often don't look at people's eyes when I'm talking to them (I usually look at people's mouths when they talk - eyes seem somewhat expressionless to me, whereas mouths seem to be more animated and expressive). Some of the pictures I was thinking 'none of the above'.

And nice test, by the way. Thanks for the link.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
Scored 24. :cry:

Agree with athenian: couldn't see the pupils and it wasn't coloured. After a while, I got confused cos I just saw too many eyes in a row. :shock:

Also have a question: what if we're not the type to read emotions via the eyes? I've very rarely used the eyes alone as for the reading of others' emotions. Have found that it is better to use overall body language. Especially with the new-fangled contact lenses nowadays that are all the rage here. :dry:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Also have a question: what if we're not the type to read emotions via the eyes? I've very rarely used the eyes alone as for the reading of others' emotions. Have found that it is better to use overall body language. Especially with the new-fangled contact lenses nowadays that are all the rage here. :dry:

*mumbles* The eyes themselves tend to only give approach or avoidant signals. That is whether they're looking at you or away from you. The rest of the signal is encoded by the eyebrows. Hmmm now that I think about it... there's more facial muscles around the eyes than on the lower part of the face. So perhaps that's why the eyes tell you more? Even though the rest of the face is also used for expression. So that's why the test was based on the eyes.

But at the end of the day, as long as you can read a person's emotions. The process of how you do it doesn't really matter.

Side thought: It reminds me of the japanese masks... tilted downwards is a happy expression, tilted upwards is angry.

noh-mask-effect.gif

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I had a really hard time doing this test, but got a 25!

I guess I was better at reading eyes than I thought I was... But not as good as some people here!

A lot of the difficulty was with the unwrinkled faces for me. I, too, was mostly looking at the eyebrows and sometimes the upper eyelid. Another problem was that most of them were looking directly into the camera... which made it hard to pick out the "interest" vs. "hostility".

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I may be the way my screen contrast is set but I can hardly see some of them.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I got 32 out of 36. Thank you ENFP empathy (I just saw Alcearos' score).

Looking at the scores, I think the high scores have something to do with predominant Ne and Fe or vice versa.

I was pretty solid about my answers, and amongst the wrong answers I misgauged 'joking' with 'confident' in a woman's eyes (I think I was right though, there is something tongue in cheek about the look in her eyes even if she is being confident) and I also got the droopy old man eyes wrong. I seriously couldn't read the hostility or any of the other options in them until after I checked my answer. Honestly, I just read 'droopy'. I've had ptosis before (sleepy eye) so I can sympathize, maybe that's why I learned to have an overall expressive face because my eyes were so not expressive.

I scrolled down so I was only answering 2 or 3 at a time. I think seeing a wall of eyes can be distracting (not to mention a tad bit creepy).

Edit:

The 'space cadet' answers and 'flirtatious' were by far the easiest to get. I think anyone who's a student (or teacher) who regularly looks around a classroom will be very well versed in the bored, glassy-eyed look of 'contemplative/reflective/preocupied/pensive' etc. Hahahaha. I'm serious. I think being very familiar with 'zoning out' myself it was easy to spot in other people. In the test, those eyes were almost always looking away and kinda vacant looking. Also I think 'flirtatious' was one of the most over the top expressive eyes.

Last edited:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Here were the ones I missed.
3: desire
10: cautious
12: sceptical
15: contemplative
18: decisive
22: preoccupied
23: defiant
24: pensive
31: confident
32: serious

Mr Galt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I got a 6 on my first try and a 9 on the second.

I lose.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I scored 32.

One of the ones I missed was the flirting one. Figures, heh. :laugh:

cheers,
Ian

ygolo

My termites win
Your score: 27

Woo-hoo! I'm normal! :party2:

I practiced on these types of tests (as well as reading books about body language, and NLP) for hours an hours during my college years. It has payed off.

tovlo

MBTI Type
INFJ

2: upset (I put annoyed...annoyance is a form of upset isn't it?)

5: worried (I put irritated...I see the worried now though)

18: decisive (I put bored. I can still see that one, but I can see decisive too, even more clearly than bored now.)

19: tentative (I put sarcastic...I think it was the way her eyebrows were shaped perhaps that threw me off. To me it looks like her right eyebrow is raised in a sort of humor. I imagined a half grin on the rest of her face)

24: pensive (I put hostile. I'm realizing that I look at the mouth a great deal in reading faces too. I imagined the mouth going along with those eyes to add to a hostile expression, but seeing the answer is pensive, i can imagine the mouth in a way that pensive makes sense to me.)

28: interested (I actually didn't think any of the answers seemed right. I'm not sure I see interested fully even yet. She's turned away from the subject. Yes there's eye contact, but I would have imagined a more full on presentation if she were fully interested. I picked affectionate because the turned presentation along with eye contact suggested to me a playful flirtation.)

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
Your score: 32

1: playful
(I put 'irritated'. I wasn't at all sure about this one when I answered - I guessed I started out slowly.)
(I put 'terrified'. I guess his wrinkles just exaggerated the expression for me.)
31: confident
(Yup, like CzeCze, I put down 'joking'.)
33: concerned
(I put down 'guilty' after much deliberation between that and concerned. He does seem slightly turned away from the viewer, though, as opposed to turned towards, like I'd expect of 'concern'.)

Also, I second that thanks for ENFP empathy. :D

Journey

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I got 24 and was glad to get that many!

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Your score: 21

Partial spoiler below:
1: playful
6: fantasizing
8: despondent
13: anticipating
15: contemplative
20: friendly