• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Harrison and Bramson Thinking Styles Test - Part 2

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
That's OK..

Here are the "real" results which I think make way more sense...

SYNTHESIST - 61
ANALYST - 53
IDEALIST - 52
PRAGMATIST - 50
REALIST - 46

now see this sounds more like me..

Analyst-Synthesist (A-S). The A-S respects structure and logic. The Analyst style seems to be more dominant in this combination most of the time. Whereas the Analyst respects structure and logic, the Synthesist understands and values the opposite. This can be the source of great internal conflict and a profound lack of understanding by people around them. They can, sometimes be very difficult to listen to but have a lot to contribute.

As does this

Synthesist-Idealist (S-I). The S-I thinking style is in many ways the exact opposite of the A-R. The S-I will tend to focus on ideas and inferences rather than structure and facts. They are perceived as being conceptualized and theorists by other individuals and therefore not very practical.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
SYNTHESIST: 70
IDEALIST: 34
PRAGMATIST: 43
ANALYST: 58
REALIST: 65

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Talk about close

Synthesist 56
Realist 55
Idealist 54
Pragmatist 53
Analyst 52

I have no score over 60. I guess I have no strong preferences. I think I do generally agree with the ordering though.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
analyst: 64
idealist: 56
pragmatist: 55
synthesist: 48
realist: 47

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Google: pragmatist thinking style harrison bramson
Also, their book - The Art of Thinking, compares the styles (especially in the workplace).

I knew this looked familiar. I read it a long time ago.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
52 SYNTHESIST

43 IDEALIST

57 PRAGMATIST

61 ANALYST

57 REALIST

I found it difficult to rank the responses because for several questions, I find myself doing all of those things.

But I do agree with the overall results and this description:

•Analyst-Realist (A-R). The A-R person is highly task-oriented and objective. They like facts and structured approaches to problems. The A-R does not like situations that defy analysis and when confronted with such a situation they tend to be unable to cope.

Last edited:

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
65 Synthesist
55 Realist
54 Pragmatist
52 Idealist
44 Analyst

Previously
Synthesist 64
Analyst 57
Pragmatist 55
Realist 52
Idealist 42

Love lost for analysis, I guess.

S

Sniffles

SYNTHESIST 57
IDEALIST 63
PRAGMATIST 58
ANALYST 53
REALIST 39

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
60 Pragmatist
59 Realist
54 Analyst
50 Synthesist
47 Idealist

Pragmatist. The motto of the Pragmatist is ‘Whatever works.’ They excel at finding new ways of doing things with the materials that lie at hand. They are apt to be interested in formulating strategies and tactics for getting things done and they often like to be liked, approved of, or at least accepted. The pragmatist approach is flexible and adaptive.

Strategy:

* Incrementalism
* Experimentation/innovation
* Looking for quick payoff
* Tactical thinking
* Marketing approach
* Contingency planning

Jaguar

2009:

80 synthesist
64 realist

49 pragmatist
39 idealist
38 analyst

2011:

74 Synthesist
61 Realist

50 Idealist
43 Analyst
42 Pragmatist

Synthesist-Realist (S-R). The S-R is extremely rare due to the fact that the synthesist and realist are at the opposite ends of the thinking spectrum. The S-R is a person with great energy for unorthodox but firm achievement. They can see clearly what the proper course is and also see that the opposite way is just as acceptable.

SilentNinja

MBTI Type
INFJ
48 Synthesist
47 Idealist
57 Pragmatist
64 Analyst
54 Realist

Analyst. The Analyst approaches problems in a careful, logical, methodical way, paying great attention to details. Analysts analyse and judge things within a broad framework that helps to explain and arrive at conclusions. Analysts want to be sure of things, to know what’s going to happen next. They take pride in their competence, in the sense of understanding all the facets of whatever the situation in which they happen to be.

Strategy:

* Deduction - theoretical
* Systematic analysis of alternatives
* Search for more data
* One variable at a time
* Charting the situation
* Nit-picking

Yeah. That's pretty accurate. lol.

Parsimony

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
60 Synthesist
42 Idealist
56 Pragmatist
60 Analyst
52 Realist

Analyst-Synthesist (A-S)
. The A-S respects structure and logic. The Analyst style seems to be more dominant in this combination most of the time. Whereas the Analyst respects structure and logic, the Synthesist understands and values the opposite. This can be the source of great internal conflict and a profound lack of understanding by people around them. They can, sometimes be very difficult to listen to but have a lot to contribute.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
55: Synthesist
53: Idealist
58: Pragmatist
49: Analyst
55: Realist

Looks like from the descriptions, I would either be a Pragmatist or Pragmatist-Realist. Good test.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Once again, I've scored as a flat preference person... all scores in the 50s :sadbanana:

my highest was synthesist by one and my lowest was pragmatist by one

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
A very interesting test!

My scores:
SYNTHESIST 63
PRAGMATIST 56
REALIST 54
ANALYST 49
IDEALIST 48

Synthesist-Pragmatist (S-P). S-P’s show the greatest tolerance for change. They strive on ambiguity and uncertainty and have developed the coping mechanisms to deal with both. Their thinking style generates tremendous amount of creativity.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
•Synthesist-Realist (S-R). The S-R is extremely rare due to the fact that the synthesist and realist are at the opposite ends of the thinking spectrum. The S-R is a person with great energy for unorthodox but firm achievement. They can see clearly what the proper course is and also see that the opposite way is just as acceptable.

I don't see why it's conflicting, sounds like Ne/Te.

wolfy

awsm
Amusingly enough...

this one...

Idealist-Pragmatist (I-P). The I-P combination is typical of someone who gains agreement on goals and then tolerates a great deal of latitude in method. They have a great concern for ‘people’ issues and more in tune with a person’s needs. As a leader, the I-P will appear to be over permissive and be allowing of too much latitude.

and this one...

Synthesist-Pragmatist (S-P). S-P’s show the greatest tolerance for change. They strive on ambiguity and uncertainty and have developed the coping mechanisms to deal with both. Their thinking style generates tremendous amount of creativity.

fit best.

Jaguar

•Synthesist-Realist (S-R). The S-R is extremely rare due to the fact that the synthesist and realist are at the opposite ends of the thinking spectrum. The S-R is a person with great energy for unorthodox but firm achievement. They can see clearly what the proper course is and also see that the opposite way is just as acceptable.

I don't see why it's conflicting, sounds like Ne/Te.

It's not Ne/Te. It's the N/S "dichotomy," in general.
Harrison/Bramson did not create their styles to correlate with MBTI types or specific function-attitudes.

harrisonbramson460x340.jpg

Synthesist= N
Realist= S
Analyst = T
Idealist = F

Integrative Leadership International: The Art of Thinking.

http://www.integrativeleadership.ca/newsletter/2005_05_06_art_thinking.pdf

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Huh, these results are weird:

Realist: 62
Pragmatist: 58
Idealist: 55
Analyst 54
Synthesist: 41

Realist. The Realists motto is, ‘facts are facts.’ Realists firmly believe that any two intelligent people, properly equipped with eyes and other sense organs, will at once agree on the facts. Without agreement on the fact, Realist believes, things don’t get done. The Realist always wants to get things done by proceeding on the facts that are at hand, rather than by gathering ever more data as Analysts do.

Strategy:

Reality from observation & experience
Setting firm objectives
Making categories: specifics
Reduction/simplification
Fixing and correcting

I wonder why I seem to be a realist? No one's ever called me that before... :huh:

The way I answered WAS the way I would handle common real life situations, though... when it comes to things other than that, though, I could see myself behaving differently. In those situations, I just didn't see the point in doing anything besides... well, getting it done. It seemed pointless and unrealistic to worry about things that didn't contribute to working through the problem in normal, everyday situations.

I mean, the realist and pragmatist answers always made sense. The idealist and analyst answers usually made sense... and the synthesis answers were... crazy and pointless. Why would anyone act like that? It just doesn't make sense.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Synthesist: 63
Idealist: 56
Pragmatist: 65
Analyst: 37
Realist: 49

Synthesist-Pragmatist
(S-P). S-P’s show the greatest tolerance for change. They strive on ambiguity and uncertainty and have developed the coping mechanisms to deal with both. Their thinking style generates tremendous amount of creativity.