• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Heroic Myth Index

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
So, I found a book at Half Price Books called Awakening the Heroes Within, which is a personality theory that groups us into 12 "heroic" archetypes. The interesting part is that they are all described to be within us, but some are more prominent than others in our life pattern.

Here's a link to the book: Amazon.com: Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World: Carol S. Pearson: Books
Here's a link to a quiz to determine your type: What's Your Archetype?
Here's a link that very briefly describes the types: Pearson's heroic archetypes

Of course take note that the book goes into much detail while these descriptions are over-simplified.

and Here's an interesting article: Pearson, Carol - Awakening the Hero Within

So, what did you score? What do you think? Have you heard of it before?

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Sage

Sages find freedom through understanding the big picture (global or cosmic) and a capacity for detachment. At the lowest level, the Sage may have little interest in the ordinary, mundane pleasures of life. At the highest level, however, the Sage combines detachment with love, wisdom, and joy in life.

Neat test.

Edit: here is another interesting link I found.

Archetypes 101

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Caregivers take care of others even when doing so requires sacrifice. They give to make the world a better place for others. At worst, the Caregiver's sacrifice is maiming or manipulative. At best, the Caregiver's giving is compassionate, genuine, and of great help to others.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Ruler
The Ruler in each of us understands that we are responsible for our inner and outer lives; the buck stops here. At worst, the Ruler is a despot. At best, the Ruler's order is inclusive, creating inner wholeness and outer community.

That sounds so ENFJ:shock:

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Creator
When the Creator is active within a person, that person is discovering or creating a more adequate sense of Self. At best, this new identity leads to a more fulfilling and effective life. At worst, it is simply an experiment, and the person retreats or goes back to the drawing board to start over.

Neat little quiz. Thanks for posting it. I relate more to the description in "Archetypes 101" more than the one presented in the quiz; the quiz one sounds incedibly INFx.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Seeker

The Seeker explores internal and external realities and is willing to give up security, community, and intimacy for autonomy. Seekers find out who they are by differentiaiting themselves from others. At worst, they are just outsiders. At best, they find their unique identities and vocations.

Hmm... does anyone think this is descriptive of me? I'm not so sure...

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Destroyer

The Destroyer is a paradoxical character whose destructiveness reflects the death drive and an inner fear of annihilation. As a fighter, they are thus careless of their own safety and may put others in danger too.

Their quest is to change, to let go of their anger or whatever force drives them and return to balance, finding the life drive that will sustain them. Living on the cusp of life and death, they are often surprisingly humble.

Interesting. I'm attentive to my safety to a fault, though.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Creator

When the Creator is active within a person, that person is discovering or creating a more adequate sense of Self. At best, this new identity leads to a more fulfilling and effective life. At worst, it is simply an experiment, and the person retreats or goes back to the drawing board to start over.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sage : Sages find freedom through understanding the big picture (global or cosmic) and a capacity for detachment. At the lowest level, the Sage may have little interest in the ordinary, mundane pleasures of life. At the highest level, however, the Sage combines detachment with love, wisdom, and joy in life.

I know I've looked up Pearson before, and ptgatsby and I might have discussed this book briefly before somewhere on the forums.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Damn, I don't know where this came from (well I kinda do). This is abysmal! :huh:

Destroyer

When the Destroyer is active within a person, what we see are the effects of tragedy and loss. At best, this initiatory loss leads to a greater receptivity to new ideas, empathy and compassion for others, and a deeper knowledge of their own identity and strength. At worst, it simply decimates a personality, and we see before us simply a ruin of what was.

Thanks for the new book. :)

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Creator

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Glad to see so many people took the quiz! :) The real quiz has you add up your totals for all archetypes and rank them. Then according to those scores you add them in different ways to see your "life path". I will try and list some of the tables in the book later that describe each types virtues, vices (their "dragons"), and more. Here some examples to the different scorings:

Archetypal Pairings - Combined pairs contribute to particular aspects of our personality.
Security (Add Innocent and Orphan)
Identity (Seeker & Lover)
Responsibility (Warrior & Caregiver)
Authenticity (Destroyer & Creator)
Power (Magician & Ruler)
Freedom (Sage & Fool)

Life Time Line - Pick the one with the dominant score out of the pairs to describe that stage in your life. (I noticed that they match up pretty well with Erikson's stages of psychosocial development)
Childhood: Orphan or Innocent
Adolescence: Seeker or Lover
Adult: Warrior or Caregiver
Mid-Life: Destroyer or Creator
Maturity: Magician or Ruler
Old Age: Sage & Fool

Our 3 Parts
Ego: Innocent + Orphan + Warrior + Caregiver
Soul: Seeker + Lover + Destroyer + Creator
Self: Magician + Ruler + Sage + Fool

Edit: Here is a list of each archetype and their Quest, Fear, Dragon, Task, and Virtue: Heroic Archetypes

Atomic Fiend

Magician

Magicians create new realities, transform old ones, serve as catalysts for change, and "name" and thereby create reality. At worst, their efforts can be "evil sorcery." At best, they discover empowering, win/win solutions.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Sage

Sages find freedom through understanding the big picture (global or cosmic) and a capacity for detachment. At the lowest level, the Sage may have little interest in the ordinary, mundane pleasures of life. At the highest level, however, the Sage combines detachment with love, wisdom, and joy in life.

One of my favourite herbs too.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Lover

Lovers find out who they are by discovering who and what they love. At a lower level, the Lover may love only a few people, activities, or things. At a higher level, Lovers enjoy and respect all of life's diversity.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Warrior

The Warrior defeats the villain and rescues the victim. Warriors are courageous and disciplined, imposing high standards on themselves. At worst, they run roughshod over others. At best, they assert themselves appropriately to make the world a better place.

ygolo

My termites win
Seeker

The Seeker explores internal and external realities and is willing to give up security, community, and intimacy for autonomy. Seekers find out who they are by differentiaiting themselves from others. At worst, they are just outsiders. At best, they find their unique identities and vocations.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Fool

The Fool finds freedom through unconventionality and a capacity to enjoy every moment. The Fool lightens us up, finds clever, innovative, and fun ways around obstacles--intellectual or physical. At worst, Fools are irresponsible. At best, Fools live lives of joy because they live fully every moment.