User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I also have health issues, real health issues. And a ton of imaginary health issues.

My mom made me take a 2 or 3 year treatment for my immune system when I was a kid, everyday pills, and an stupid injection. And other stuff like that.

I think it's hereditary...gee.. I don't wanna do that to my kids.

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

I'm sorry.

I don't know how you dealt with your parent[s] fretting over your health as a kid (but you did say "stupid" injection, so I'm guessing you probably didn't like that too much ...) whether or not it was warranted, but maybe because you resisted that, at least mentally, now that you see that yes, it is possible, and true that you do have something wrong, makes you sort of overcompensate for all the time you mentally rejected that notion when you were young - sending Ne into hyperdrive, Ti wanting to figure this out, and where "your body" hasn't been a main focus (presumably,) or isn't where your attention is, usually, the smallest thing that you DO happen to notice being enough to draw your attention to your body and away from Ne land, you assume it must be bad, and that inferior Si (maybe a bit of shadow Fi?) contributes to your lacking a reliable baseline of "how you normally have been throughout your life" to compare this current situation to - skewing your perceptions/blowing the whole thing out of proportion ... ?

That was one longass sentence. *gasps for air*

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Very low.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Very low.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    http://www.4degreez.com/misc/hypochondria_test.html
    Do you have parents with anxiety? Did your parents worry about your health when you were little and take you to doctors for no rational reason?
    My mother used to get soooooooooo worried about my health, and now I worry about my health. Quite ridiculous.
    I wonder if they're related.
    Hmmm...neither of my parents really thought much about my health until I came to them sick as a dog, which was, I believe, a healthy response. I had a number of ailments in my youth including meningitis, which was super scary. And now I have a chronic autoimmune disease, which might be with me for the rest of my life. So maybe my hypochondriac tendencies come from the fact that I've historically had big reasons to worry about my health, so I automatically jump to the worst case scenario for any little thing. And perhaps because my parents didn't look for these things in me and waited for me to come to them, I felt like "well, if I don't notice, then no one will until I wind up dead."

But yeah, I don't let on to anyone else that I'm as obsessed over my health as I am. I'm generally embarrassed to admit that I have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I also have health issues, real health issues. And a ton of imaginary health issues.
    Haha...yes. And the problem is, my very real health issues make my imaginary health issues more morbid. It's irritating, but I'm teaching myself strategies for avoiding health anxiety. It just requires a certain amount of energy and conscientiousness to implement. But it sure is better than the alternative!

Also!

I have this problem where I don't know when my body is telling me to stop, so I end up pushing myself physically farther than I should and, by that point, I've done more damage than if I'd just stopped at a reasonable point. So when I finally slow down and pay attention to my body it's like "WTF where did that come from?!" and I'll end up obsessing over it (and it'll turn out to be something simple like fatigue or stress).

Stress is a weird thing for me, because I don't often feel stressed, even if my body is showing signs of stress. So I'm this weird mix of super-crazy health consciousness and completely-oblivious health ignorance.

So maybe my being a hypochondriac come from that fact. I just don't know how to do "moderation" when it comes to my health.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Mine is Moderate, but from the time I was a young child until I was about 20, it would have been Very High. I used to worry all the time that I had cancer or AIDS, and have panic attacks a lot. Now I take Zoloft daily (low dose) and only think I have a disease when something really odd is happening. For example, last year that I had a constant lump in my throat for like 2 weeks... I'd gone off my Zoloft for awhile and my regular doctor was on maternity leave, so I saw another doctor who didn't know my history of hypochondria and ordered a couple of scary tests.... which only made me worry more, of course, until I got the results: globus.

As for my family history, my mother suffered from OCD for awhile, but she no longer has to take medication for it. I think my grandma probably had anxiety disorder, like me, but was never diagnosed. I'm glad I live in the day and age where such conditions are diagnosable and treatable... living 20 years with untreated anxiety disorder was bad enough; I can't imagine living my whole life like that.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENTP

Well hypochondria is linked to OCD. Obsessive- irrational health worries Compulsion- checking, going to doctors.

It has the same algorithm

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Your Hypochondria Rating: Moderate
    Your rating suggests the possibility of hypochondria, but it is not a clear case. You clearly have some anxiety over your health and well-being. If your health concerns are disrupting your daily activities, you may want to speak to a professional. However, managing your stress and altering your lifestyle may be enough to hold the anxiety at bay.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Your Hypochondria Rating: Moderate

It is unlikely that you are a hypochondriac. You may occassionally fret over your health, but this is not abnormal. Health fears do not dominate your day and cause unnecessary anxiety, and your outlook in this area appears well within the normal range.

Heh, I think I scored a few because I DO have a troublesome health condition. But if I believe I have a health problem that means....! But yet my low score proves that....! Oh, whatever, I'll live, I think...
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...