• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How self-monitoring are you?

heart

heart on fire
Your score is 19, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are a LOW self-monitor.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have the book (or one of them) -- it's a high-level psych book called "Public Appearances, Private Realities: The Psychology of Self-Monitoring" (Mark Snyder) and was just reviewing it yesterday.

If you want a point of reference, Hustler (INTPc) is an extreme low-monitoring individual. Kuranes' recent critique thread of him there is a classic example of the extreme low-monitoring attitude.

My score: 60

Here is a good quote from the scoring page:
Identity...can be seen as having two levels: an inner identity, and that identity which we present to the world. Low self monitors tie their inner and outer identity together, meaning that they show their true emotions to those around them. High self monitors hold their inner identity separate from their outer identity, meaning that they can adapt and change how others see them as needs be. In the on-line community, high self monitors are more likely to have multiple email addresses or IM accounts to help mitigate and control their appearance and knowledge about them.

I didn't feel the test was adequate enough, only covering a subset of people who practice monitoring. But the idea is good.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
If you want a point of reference

I'm trying to figure out whether it correlates with other traits.

Hustler (INTPc) is an extreme low-monitoring individual.

You think? ;)

I didn't feel the test was adequate enough, only covering a subset of people who practice monitoring. But the idea is good.

It's Snyder's own test. Do you mean that he didn't do justice to his own concept?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's Snyder's own test. Do you mean that he didn't do justice to his own concept?

(wow, I'm audacious!)

I think it tends to equate high-monitors to types like the Enneagram Three types, for example; I don't think it pinpoints the trait well enough in people who are mixed mode.

(I.e., either the person is a high monitor or a low monitor, according to the test. It doesn't deal well with variations in the gray.)

But maybe that's because it is focused more on actual behavior and NOT motivation, which is my frame of reference? hmmm.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I got a 48.

I was a little puzzled by the questions - it seemed they weighed heavily on more extroverted behaviors - i.e. charades, 'would you be good at acting', 'can you keep a poker face', etc. Seems rather superficial. So I'm left not knowing exactly what aspect of self-monitoring the test was trying to pinpoint.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
But maybe that's because it is focused more on actual behavior and NOT motivation, which is my frame of reference? hmmm.

If two people behave identically but one is self-monitoring to a greater degree than the other, hasn't the latter simply internalized the self-monitoring? So the difference is (sub)consciousness.

(Did that make any sense? :huh: I'm really tired.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Your score is 51, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I was a little puzzled by the questions - it seemed they weighed heavily on more extroverted behaviors - i.e. charades, 'would you be good at acting', 'can you keep a poker face', etc. Seems rather superficial. So I'm left not knowing exactly what what aspect of self-monitoring the test was trying to pinpoint.

Do you think self-monitoring is (/the test should be) independent of extroversion?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you think self-monitoring is (/the test should be) independent of extroversion?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer right now, and I'd have to think about it some more. I do know that prior to taking the test, I would have thought my self-monitoring would be on the really high end, because I self-monitor *constantly*.

And I find it curious that posters who I would have viewed as being less self-monitoring than I are in fact getting higher self-monitoring scores than me!! :) Perhaps it's just the internet environment. When we're taking the tests, we're answering as we perceive ourselves in REAL LIFE -- not necessarily how we behave or interact in a forum environment.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If two people behave identically but one is self-monitoring to a greater degree than the other, hasn't the latter simply internalized the self-monitoring? So the difference is (sub)consciousness. (Did that make any sense? :huh: I'm really tired.)

ugh, I think I'm pooped too... I will get back later on that one when my brain is working again.

(maybe I can clarify later what I have been thinking about regarding monitoring)

But isn't monitoring all concerned about externalized behavior? Snyder is basically saying, "Do people expose themselves in a way that aligns with their inner self, or is it more important to them to present themselves outwardly in a way that brings more acceptance/control/freedom than they fear they might get if they did not wear a costume of sorts?"

So....what is "introverted monitoring?" Is there such a thing? How would it be defined?

Are you thinking that people might change who they are inwardly based on what occurs outwardly, masking their inner self from .... themselves? To conform with outwards expectations?

ok... that is it for me... my ears are bleeding after THAT effort. :)

And I find it curious that posters who I would have viewed as being less self-monitoring than I are in fact getting higher self-monitoring scores than me!! :) Perhaps it's just the internet environment. When we're taking the tests, we're answering as we perceive ourselves in REAL LIFE -- not necessarily how we behave or interact in a forum environment.

I don't know... but I do perceive the same thing... many people who don't seem to be changing their outer behavior from their inner self are rating themselves as high monitors (!). I wonder if there is any correlation with type, especially E/I.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't self monitor consciously but I do act differently in different groups. Mostly because different people speak about different things, so I tend to talk with them about things we have in common. None of this is done on purpose though.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Are you thinking that people might change who they are inwardly based on what occurs outwardly, masking their inner self from .... themselves? To conform with outwards expectations?

I can just barely muster the energy to link to this thread which is about what I mean. (Warning: It's one of Blackwater's. :whistling:)

I'm afraid I don't have an answer right now, and I'd have to think about it some more.

So do I. :shock:

Hope to see lots of responses when I wake up!