• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How self-monitoring are you?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but although I adapt like a mofo and pretty much chameleon into whatever a situation or crowd most wants/requires, I DO NOT view this as not being myself and I do believe that this behaviour IS exactly in line with my inner self. Because my inner self believes that it's important and useful to do this, and moreover, I'm still always being the same person, still saying the same things, having the same attitudes and opinions - all I'm doing is 'translating' them into a different presentation, one that's more likely to reach the current audience. I don't change what I think or even the way I think, feel or believe. I just change the way I manifest it; I change the way I present it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... oh god i need to lie down...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
40/100

I was expecting this test to ask different kinds of questions when I clicked the link.
If this test were about policing myself to do good and be correct(which I thought it was) I'd probably get a 90.

This test almost seems to be asking "how much are you a Type Three?".

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have the book (or one of them) -- it's a high-level psych book called "Public Appearances, Private Realities: The Psychology of Self-Monitoring" (Mark Snyder) and was just reviewing it yesterday.

If you want a point of reference, Hustler (INTPc) is an extreme low-monitoring individual. Kuranes' recent critique thread of him there is a classic example of the extreme low-monitoring attitude.
I suspect that he self-monitors plenty, he just goes for the abrasive effect instead of the agreeable effect.

ygolo

My termites win
So....what is "introverted monitoring?" Is there such a thing? How would it be defined?

I'd imagine there is a case for changing oneself to match who you want to present yourself to be.

There was a local comedian who best joke was:
I want a girl who accepts me for who I'm pretending to be.

Some of us are trying to be someone we want to be, but aren't yet. Though, I wouldn't call it pretending.

Yeah, I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but although I adapt like a mofo and pretty much chameleon into whatever a situation or crowd most wants/requires, I DO NOT view this as not being myself and I do believe that this behaviour IS exactly in line with my inner self. Because my inner self believes that it's important and useful to do this, and moreover, I'm still always being the same person, still saying the same things, having the same attitudes and opinions - all I'm doing is 'translating' them into a different presentation, one that's more likely to reach the current audience. I don't change what I think or even the way I think, feel or believe. I just change the way I manifest it; I change the way I present it.

Yes. This is the way I would like to be.

... oh god i need to lie down...

Just realized. That this was a response to the running convo. you were having with Economica, not a response to substitutes post.

True? If not, why did his post make you want to lie down?

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I'm a High Self-Monitorerererrr.

I read the book. I don't need to take the test.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
For anyone who has read any of the books or knows a lot about the subect, do you have any idea what percentage of the population are high self-monitors?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So do I. :shock:

Hope to see lots of responses when I wake up!

Ok. So, after having dinner, and then watching an episode of Two and a Half Men, and then watching two episodes of Scrubs (tee hee! One of my favorite shows!!:wubbie: ), I'll take a stab at it.

I understand what sub is saying about adaptability and catering to your audience (and I also see what he's saying, I don't see anything 'fake' about it), and I guess I can see how that might be a component of self-monitoring...but truly, I see that more just as adaptability, interpersonal skills, and social savviness (hopefully no offense here..I'm sure there's a lot more to it too). I do the same myself, to a certain degree - adapting my presentation so as to 'speak' on the same level as those I'm trying to communicate with. But is that 'self-monitoring'?? I guess I don't equate it as such. But maybe it is.

It's why some of the questions puzzled me. Do I enjoy games like Charades?? No, I don't. I'm too self-conscious and basically I hate getting up in front of people like that and 'acting'. Why is something like Charades or acting skills tied to self-monitoring? That's what I'm failing to understand.

But perhaps each of the 16 types has its own 'slant' to self-monitoring - and we each self-monitor in a way specific to our dominant functions.

For example, my self-monitoring largely revolves around Fe. I'll often keep quiet rather than speak my views, for a variety of reasons. Just one example. So my self-monitoring is almost always related to whether or not I want to say something, and the manner in which I want to say it, if it needs to be said. ;-P And often spending a lot of time in my head agonizing over what I think is best to do. The Ni Ti loop. :)

Conversely, someone with Ne Ti or Fi Ne ... etc... would do their own style of self-monitoring.

That's all I've got. :D

LucrativeSid

Yeah, I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but although I adapt like a mofo and pretty much chameleon into whatever a situation or crowd most wants/requires, I DO NOT view this as not being myself and I do believe that this behaviour IS exactly in line with my inner self. ...

Precisely! I'm like a handyman and the way that I act is just like whatever job I'm performing at the time. Doing a different job doesn't make me a different handyman. I still have the same motives. I'm still me. And the differences are not that bizarre. I will never flat out lie or compromise who I am or what I believe in in order to win the approval of other people. I might be vague, ask questions, have discussions, and take things as they come. I like to keep my options open, of course, and I like to keep the flow going. I don't sit there and think about who I am, refusing to move away from that. I think about who I could be and what I could experience. I'm a very fluid person.

I got a 61.