User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Your score is 57, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I got 49/100. It's says I'm closer to the middle.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    For anyone who has read any of the books or knows a lot about the subect, do you have any idea what percentage of the population are high self-monitors?
    Haight should have the work by Snyder I described earlier -- he was actually the one who indirectly recommended it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    :horor: 86!!!
    *shakes fist at Economica for posting this evil test*
    Oh, girl, you're such a Tool of The Man!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think my issue with Snyder is that he did not seem to distinguish between people who have high monitoring because they're naturally chameleons, whose "true self" is to mirror others in order to affirm and support them, versus high monitors who suffer anxiety because they do not have an intuitive grasp of how to navigate through the natural conflict of just "being themselves."

(Or perhaps the problem is that they perceive conflict at ALL when they are "themselves" openly... and thus have anxiety where low monitors have none. Perhaps the friction of differences should not be perceived ideally as a threatening situation.)

Anyway, what I am getting at is that potentially some of the extroverted types naturally begin and end with the outer world -- that is where their identity is -- and the way they mold themselves to it is not actually a rejection of their inner self.

Introverts I would think would be more likely to high-monitor as a costume to protect potential damage done to a weak or unconfident self-image.

But perhaps he wasn't interested in making this distinction, rather just exploring the monitoring behavior on its own merits, rather than being worried over motivation.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Oh, girl, you're such a Tool of The Man!
    you've got to use The Man's approach sometimes to fight The Man!

*sigh* this goes back to my longstanding battle of hating The Man, yet wanting to be The Man

Probably if there were more ESTPs here there would be more high self monitorers
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Your score is 40, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTj

Haight should have the work by Snyder I described earlier -- he was actually the one who indirectly recommended it to me.
    Unforunately his response was, "The percentage is low." I figured that much without reading the damn book.

I think my issue with Snyder is that he did not seem to distinguish between people who have high monitoring because they're naturally chameleons, whose "true self" is to mirror others in order to affirm and support them, versus high monitors who suffer anxiety because they do not have an intuitive grasp of how to navigate through the natural conflict of just "being themselves."
    I agree. The online test in the thread definitely had questions geared towards extroverted self-monitors. I'm not concerned with pleasing people or the external world in general. Rather, I want to keep people out of my internal world, so I self-monitor. I wouldn't say that it's because I don't know how to be myself, it's just that I don't think other people deserve to see that side of me.

I think motivation is important, and the fact that the book doesn't make the distinction between extroverted and introverted self-monitors means that I won't be reading it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Unforunately his response was, "The percentage is low." I figured that much without reading the damn book.
    lol... he sounds about as helpful to you as he is to me. (And I thought you were the one with an "in.")

I have the book here, I'll see if it says anything.

The online test in the thread definitely had questions geared towards extroverted self-monitors. I'm not concerned with pleasing people or the external world in general. Rather, I want to keep people out of my internal world, so I self-monitor. I wouldn't say that it's because I don't know how to be myself, it's just that I don't think other people deserve to see that side of me.
    That's a good point. There's definitely a "privacy/boundary" issue and controlling access so only invested people get access to an individual.

I think there is also a "freedom" issue that you hint at: Low monitors have to risk others trying to interfere in their lives, high monitors gain a certain measure of freedom around others by complying on the surface while meanwhile keeping their cards hidden. So monitoring acts as a social control mechanism meant to keep people out of one's business.

EDIT: Skimmed through the whole book, still haven't found any percentages of population. Just all the medians and testing data.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 01-25-2008 at 03:14 PM.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Just realized. That this was a response to the running convo. you were having with Economica, not a response to substitutes post.

True? If not, why did his post make you want to lie down?
    Combo of all of them. I was getting dizzy with all the abstractions firing in every direction, and it was my Low Blood Sugar time of day. And sub just sort of blew everything open, right when I thought I almost had a grip on it.

(Then again, maybe you just thought I wanted to lie down, but I was only going to lie down because I was could tell it was what everyone else wanted and inside I was still standing up.)

Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc