User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I got a 48.

I was a little puzzled by the questions - it seemed they weighed heavily on more extroverted behaviors - i.e. charades, 'would you be good at acting', 'can you keep a poker face', etc. Seems rather superficial. So I'm left not knowing exactly what aspect of self-monitoring the test was trying to pinpoint.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    But maybe that's because it is focused more on actual behavior and NOT motivation, which is my frame of reference? hmmm.
    If two people behave identically but one is self-monitoring to a greater degree than the other, hasn't the latter simply internalized the self-monitoring? So the difference is (sub)consciousness.

(Did that make any sense? I'm really tired.)

MBTI
    INxJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

35/100.
    Not really.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Your score is 51, on a scale of 0 (low self-monitor) to 100 (high self-monitor). You are neither a high nor low self-monitor.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I was a little puzzled by the questions - it seemed they weighed heavily on more extroverted behaviors - i.e. charades, 'would you be good at acting', 'can you keep a poker face', etc. Seems rather superficial. So I'm left not knowing exactly what what aspect of self-monitoring the test was trying to pinpoint.
    Do you think self-monitoring is (/the test should be) independent of extroversion?

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Do you think self-monitoring is (/the test should be) independent of extroversion?
    I'm afraid I don't have an answer right now, and I'd have to think about it some more. I do know that prior to taking the test, I would have thought my self-monitoring would be on the really high end, because I self-monitor *constantly*.

And I find it curious that posters who I would have viewed as being less self-monitoring than I are in fact getting higher self-monitoring scores than me!! :-) Perhaps it's just the internet environment. When we're taking the tests, we're answering as we perceive ourselves in REAL LIFE -- not necessarily how we behave or interact in a forum environment.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP

75 was my score.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    If two people behave identically but one is self-monitoring to a greater degree than the other, hasn't the latter simply internalized the self-monitoring? So the difference is (sub)consciousness. (Did that make any sense? I'm really tired.)
    ugh, I think I'm pooped too... I will get back later on that one when my brain is working again.

(maybe I can clarify later what I have been thinking about regarding monitoring)

But isn't monitoring all concerned about externalized behavior? Snyder is basically saying, "Do people expose themselves in a way that aligns with their inner self, or is it more important to them to present themselves outwardly in a way that brings more acceptance/control/freedom than they fear they might get if they did not wear a costume of sorts?"

So....what is "introverted monitoring?" Is there such a thing? How would it be defined?

Are you thinking that people might change who they are inwardly based on what occurs outwardly, masking their inner self from .... themselves? To conform with outwards expectations?

ok... that is it for me... my ears are bleeding after THAT effort.

And I find it curious that posters who I would have viewed as being less self-monitoring than I are in fact getting higher self-monitoring scores than me!! :-) Perhaps it's just the internet environment. When we're taking the tests, we're answering as we perceive ourselves in REAL LIFE -- not necessarily how we behave or interact in a forum environment.
    I don't know... but I do perceive the same thing... many people who don't seem to be changing their outer behavior from their inner self are rating themselves as high monitors (!). I wonder if there is any correlation with type, especially E/I.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I don't self monitor consciously but I do act differently in different groups. Mostly because different people speak about different things, so I tend to talk with them about things we have in common. None of this is done on purpose though.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Are you thinking that people might change who they are inwardly based on what occurs outwardly, masking their inner self from .... themselves? To conform with outwards expectations?
    I can just barely muster the energy to link to this thread which is about what I mean. (Warning: It's one of Blackwater's. )

I'm afraid I don't have an answer right now, and I'd have to think about it some more.
    So do I.

Hope to see lots of responses when I wake up!