• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I Write Like

wolfy

awsm
Check which famous writer you write like with this statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style and compares them with those of the famous writers.

I Write Like

Paste in some text and it will tell you who you write like.

My result: I write like Cory Doctorow

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I took three of my posts here randomly. It cave three different authors.

Cory Doctorow (pronounced /ˈkɒri ˈdɒktəroʊ/; born July 17, 1971) is a Canadian blogger, journalist, and science fiction author who serves as co-editor of the blog Boing Boing. He is an activist in favour of liberalising copyright laws and a proponent of the Creative Commons organisation, using some of their licences for his books. Some common themes of his work include digital rights management, file sharing, and post-scarcity economics.[1]
Stephenie Meyer (born December 24, 1973), née Morgan, is an American author best known for her vampire romance series Twilight.[1][2][3] The Twilight novels have gained worldwide recognition and sold over 100 million copies globally,[1][4] with translations into 37 different languages.[2][3] Meyer is also the author of the adult science-fiction novel The Host.

Meyer was the biggest selling author of both 2008 and 2009, having sold over 29 million books in 2008 alone,[5][6] with Twilight being the best-selling book of the year.[7] She sold an additional 26.5 million books in 2009, making her the first author to achieve this feat.[8] Meyer was ranked #49 on Time magazine's list of the "100 Most Influential People in 2008",[9] and was also included in the Forbes Celebrity 100 list of the world's most powerful celebrities in 2009, entering at #26. Her annual earnings exceeded $50 million.[10] Also in 2010, Forbes ranked her as the #59 most powerful celebrity with annual earnings $40 million.[11]
Isaac Asimov (Russian: Айзек Азимов /ˈaɪzəkˈæzɪməv/ EYE-zək AZ-i-muv; born Isaak Yudovich Ozimov, Russian: Исаак Юдович Озимов; c. January 2, 1920[1] – April 6, 1992), was an American author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University, best known for his works of science fiction and for his popular science books. Asimov was one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 9,000 letters and postcards.[2] His works have been published in nine of the ten major categories of the Dewey Decimal System (the sole exception being the 100s: philosophy and psychology).[3]

Sci-fi seems to be the theme.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I wish... :D

I write like
James Joyce

That was an interesting analysis, I tried different chapters of random books I have written (never finished) and a couple of poems. I also got Lewis Carroll, Margaret Mitchell, and Stephen King... But since I got Joyce twice I posted that... That's really cool wolfy, thanks!

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i pasted something from an old thread here it said this...

Your Badge
I write like
J. D. Salinger

just did another post and got

I write like
David Foster Wallace

oooh same as skylights...interesting... :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
David Foster Wallace, for 2/3 entries.

incidentally, we have the same birthday. :huh:

i don't know anything about his writing so i looked up some quotes, figure i'll share --

DFW said:
The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.... The only thing that's capital-T True is that you get to decide how you're going to try to see it. You get to consciously decide what has meaning and what doesn't.... The trick is keeping the truth up-front in daily consciousness.

For these cultures, getting rid of the pain without addressing the deeper cause would be like shutting off a fire alarm while the fire's still going.

To be willing to sort of die in order to move the reader, somehow. Even now I'm scared about how sappy this'll look in print, saying this.

dude ended up committing suicide after an endless battle with depression (he did fight it, hard). the force is strong with this one. that or Ni

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
David Foster Wallace for two completely different entries.

Accept

MBTI Type
TRUE
Lewis Carroll twice, which I think makes some sense considering the samples used. Then H.P. Lovecraft once, and I may know why, but the final try came up J.K. Rowlings, and that makes no sense at all.

Keyword connections?

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
This was great fun, thanks for posting it, Wolfy! :)

I was so perplexed by my results to begin with that to make sure that it wasn't just generating random author names and had hit me with a few weird ones, I posted a VAST amount of material into the analyser. It got quite addictive after a while, and I had plenty of stuff in my documents folder to copy-paste :yes: I found that the results were remarkably consistent, depending on the type of material I was posting.

1) Creative prose. I posted 50 pages or more, in long and short extracts, from a novel I'm working on to one page whimsical pieces, from autobiographical snippets to letters written to the powers that be (this is a creative endeavour, as I intend to be as imaginatively rude as possible to the beggars if it gets to the stage of having to write to them ;)). These were written in what I thought was quite a variety of styles and moods. Almost everything, however, came out as H. P. Lovecraft. Cthullu beckons! I come! :horor:

2) Poems. I posted quite a number and got a variety of results. This was the only category for which there was a really broad spread of results. The commonest one overall, however, was James Joyce, followed by Nabokov, Lovecraft (again!) and Mary Shelley (sadly her husband seems not to have been an option!). There were a lot of very odd writers cropping up in this category though, often as one-offs, and they were mostly either older prose writers (ie 19th century or earlier) or modern science fiction writers, very rarely recognised poets. It could be that this just represents the selection of writers on there, or that poems are often shorter and confuse the system, however.

3) More casual personal stuff, like Emails, Pm's, etc. The majority were David Foster Wallace (he's come up a few times already, I assume he used a more colloquial style). Nearly all the ones that weren't were H.P. Lovecraft or Edgar Allan Poe, in that order.

4) Forum posts. I tried quite a number of my more serious and lengthy posts on this forum. The majority were Edgar Allan Poe, and most of the rest were Lovecraft (again), with a couple that were David Foster Wallace or Dickens.

As a general principle for all forms of prose, the chances of it being Lovecraft increased in proportion to the length of the piece, except perhaps the longer forum posts, where it was equally likely to be Poe.

Some amusing aberrant results:

A piece intentionally written in the style of the King James I Bible - William Shakespeare.

Several parody poems about vampires came out as Bram Stoker.

A song I tried to write in something aproximating to Deep South dialect (I wrote it rather quickly and never got round to checking whether I'd got it right) - Mark Twain.

*What the hell, did it sound like something Huckleberry Finn would have said?*

A short, astronomically inspired poem - Arthur Clarke

:rofl1:

Edit: Looks like for some strange reason, this post was Lovecraft yet again. I just couldn't resist. AAAAARGH, the horror! I must stop! :run:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I tried a couple of different pieces of my writing and I write like H P Lovecraft for half and Arthur C Clarke for the other half??? I am happy with that tho I don't have nearly the adroitness of either :D

Ingrid in grids

I tried some essays, commentaries and creative writing pieces. For pretty much all the essays and commentaries I got H.P. Lovecraft. For all of my creative work I got Vladimir Nabokov, except for one for which I got Chuck Palahniuk!

Thanks for posting wolfy. That was fun!

lucibelle

MBTI Type
I__P
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Tried several batches of text;

1. Cory Doctorow
2. Kurt Vonnegut
3. Stephen King
4. Stephen King
5. Cory Doctorow
6. Cory Doctorow
7. Cory Doctorow
8. Cory Doctorow

P

Phantonym

Chuck Palahniuk; James Fenimore Cooper; H. P. Lovecraft X 3; couldn't be bothered to try out some more texts (<-- apparently, Margaret Atwood writes like this).

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Using my moderate-long posts from TypeC. :)

Trial#1: Edgar Allen Poe X 4
Trial#2: Arthur Clarke X 3
Trial#3: David Foster Wallace X 6
Trial#4: Dan Brown X 2
Trial#5: H.P Lovecraft X 3

The Verdict: The generator is strongly convinced I have a writing style of David Foster Wallace's, and Edgar Allen Poe's for the secondary runner-up.

And here's more thanks for the fascinating Quiz, Wolfy. :yes:

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
This tool is pretty fun...Found it funny how the page of writing about the Patronus Charm I posted here not so long ago got affiliated with J.K. Rowling. This also happened when I typed this for a silly experiment (I'm pretty bored right now :D : )

Here is a list of flower related items:

Fleur
Lavender
Lily
Petunia
Lupin
Narcissus
Pansy
Rose

However when I then purposely typed up 'Macbeth' and 'Romeo and Juliet' scenes, it never picked up on the Shakespeare. I also typed in the opening paragraph of 'A Clockwork Orange' because of its fairly unique style, and well, no Burgess...

Anyway, personally I got:

Fiction: Oscar Wilde
Essays: H.P. Lovecraft

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tried several pieces of writing and got J. R. R. Tolkien, Arthur Clarke, Jack London, Dan Brown and J. K. Rowling.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's an interesting program, but my results are all over the place. Also, I didn't use any actual narrative of mine (it's pretty different than my usual writing style), because I'm afraid of someone seeing it even though the website claims it doesn't save anything.

1. David Foster Wallace
2. Dan Brown
3. Stephen King
4. Mary Shelley
5. Edgar Allen Poe
6. David Foster Wallace

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I entered text from a short story I wrote for a creative writing class I took. I got Cory Doctorow.